Why Does Every one like The showa series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
zillabeast98
Ronin

Why Does Every one like The showa series

Post by zillabeast98 »

IMO It get's to much Love Sure It classic But Just So fake And Corny

Jirass
Monsterland Worker

Re: Why Does Every one like The showa series

Post by Jirass »

zillabeast98 wrote:fake And Corny
This argument can be made about almost every single Godzilla movie. Half of the millenium series feels like Sci-Fi channel mockbusters. Part of the charm of classic monster movies is the rubber suited monster and model train sets approach. But the original Godzilla will always be a classic film with a message.
Fire Rodan appears to have had a delicious caramel filling.
Shadow wrote:
Jirass wrote:Willy Wonka & The Mechagodzilla Factory
'Take a seat, at his feet, and prepare for you annihilation. It's nothing to fear, jump with cheer, for his inner workings defy... explanation.'

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Because the Showa era has all but two of the greatest Godzilla films (the other two being Godzilla vs. Biollante and GMK).

I think the main thing that does it for me is the sense that Showa filmmakers respected the work that they were making, which is something that feels absent from both the Heisei and Millennium series (with the except of Godzilla vs. Biollante and GMK). That the Showa filmmakers did not make these films simply because they wanted a pay check or a job to do, but that they actually wanted to make a legitimately good film, and do their best to provide something that would be good for the target audience. Even the bad Showa films still have this same feeling to me. To the Showa filmmakers, its about making a respectable piece of work, before making a living.

Outside of GMK, I don't get that same feeling from any Godzilla made after Godzilla vs. Biollante. They all feel, more or less, like all the filmmakers cared about was getting that pay check for working on this film. They just did their required job, no more, and left it at that. They don't really take the time to put a piece of themselves into their movie, like the Showa filmmakers did.

Not to say that all of the Heisei and Millennium films are bad, just that I respect the Showa filmmakers more than I do the Heisei and Millennium filmmakers.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Post by Bentley »

Final Wars obviously aimed to a higher recognition!

To answer the topic in hand: yes, Showa rocks because it has great films, it establishes great characters and pretty much defines what a good kaiju movie is.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

zillabeast98 wrote:IMO It get's to much Love Sure It classic But Just So fake And Corny
Sorry hun but this statement could be made for a majority of Godzilla films (based on how a lot of non Godzilla fans think & the people who adore the Tristar Godzilla over the Japanese Godzilla) but to me, the Showa films are like a fine wine, & just getter better & better which (the same can be said for Godzilla vs Biollante & GMK tbh) and the Showa films had many good characters & had some great plots & plus it didn't have a strict continuity like the Heisei films did
Last edited by Julia Bristow on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Black Lion
Monsterland Worker

Post by Black Lion »

You need a higher suspension of disbelief to get into Showa. Or at least a higher respect for the craft.

I loved Heisei as a kid because it was flashier and had a more "serious" tone, but eventually I realized they were mostly soulless and relied on that flash too much, while the Showa films were more legit science fantasy obviously created by people who loved what they did. It's more obvious to me the more I read classic sci fi and pulp serials the difference between a lovingly crafted work and a phoned-in cash grab.
Gamera: Guardian of Earth and Friend of All Children*

*except those who are currently out of his immediate field of vision. Sorry.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

What everyone else has been saying, pretty much. Serious effort was put into the Showa movies by people that cared, and it really shows. I get way more immersed in these movies than the wannabe serious and realistic Heisei stuff.

I prefer the Showa effects from an aesthetic point of view, too. All those cheesy, blatantly fake costumes or whatever? They're part of the charm. I'm fully aware that I'm watching a ridiculous movie about giant, radioactive lizards; I don't need top-of-the-line modern effects or '90s attempts at being ( :lol: ) realistic to enjoy them.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I.....wish not to get involved.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Because sci-fi movies today are not fake and corny, right?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

If I had never seen a Godzilla fim before it, I would have sworn a film like ''Godzilla vs. Megaguirus'' were a SYFY original movie.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Because despite how spotty the later part of the Showa series may have become (nobody is calling Godzilla vs. Gigan a masterpiece here), its first (depending upon whom you ask) ten to fifteen years were made up of a succession of kaiju films of consistent quality in terms of story, script, direction, cinematography, performances, and pure imagination, which cover an impressive range of tonal and thematic approaches.

It all starts, obviously, with the original Godzilla. This is a film of real emotional power, with a clear yet nuanaced theme, and a narrative approach that is raw, almost vérité at times, and yet graceful and sophisticated. It gives us a large ensemble of interesting and relatable characters from all walks of life, but, by keeping so much down to earth, allows itself the freedom to achieve remarkable flights of imagination through Godzilla himself and the truly brilliantly handled Dr. Serizawa and his hugely dramatic personal moral struggle.

The Showa era also includes the tragic, often beautiful Rodan, the astonishing fantasy of Mothra, the delightful comedy of King Kong vs. Godzilla, the unmatched balancing act of horror/action/fantasy that is Mothra vs. Godzilla, the pulpy sci-fi delights of Monster Zero...

That's just to cite the most obvious examples.

The movies have strong stories, rich themes, creative approaches to effects sequences, and each one is very much unlike the others in some respect. It is consistent, yet ever-shifting.

Most of the best of these films were directed by Ishiro Honda, whose approach to staging and photographing scenes has a simple, direct quality which is perhaps best described as elegant. They are movies of deceptive cinematic sohpistication.

And they're so, so much fun.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:eabaker, I'm pleased to inform you that your avatar has won the internet.

Please congratulate yourself accordingly.
Yay!

I suppose the most appropriate thing would be to congratulate myself by smoking a little, Man With No Name-style cigar, but I gave up smoking...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

eabaker wrote:
Cimmerian Dragon wrote:eabaker, I'm pleased to inform you that your avatar has won the internet.

Please congratulate yourself accordingly.
Yay!

I suppose the most appropriate thing would be to congratulate myself by smoking a little, Man With No Name-style cigar, but I gave up smoking...
You could also just go shoot some Mexicans. He did that a lot in the movies too, after all.
bleep bloop

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Because back then people could freakin' act!
Some newer movies, suck because either the story is shit or the acting is piss poor.
Say what you want about the Showa series zillabeast98, it's acting is by far more enjoyable and better than the movie that your username is depicted after.
Wow made myself seem almost like an ass, didn't I? Maaaybe should have sugar-coated it.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

zillabeast98 wrote:IMO It get's to much Love Sure It classic But Just So fake And Corny
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Showa started out great.... From the Original, Godzilla raids again, Kong King vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah the three headed monster, Destroy all monsters is over-rated i think it was just okay.... Then the series went to shit in terms of quality to either being just stupid, lazy, stock-footage or extremely to kid friendly which wasn't to my liking.

It didn't pick up until Godzilla vs Mecha-Godzilla 1974 an Terror of Mecha-Godzilla...

The 90's series suffered the same exact fate.... Godzilla 1985 was brilliant, right up there with the Original in my opinion.. Godzilla vs Biollante was awesome, great monster, great effects, an surprisingly likable characters. An G-vs-King Ghidorah was also good... then the series started falling apart again until Destroyah.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Showa started out great.... From the Original, Godzilla raids again, Kong King vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah the three headed monster, Destroy all monsters is over-rated i think it was just okay.... Then the series went to shit in terms of quality to either being just stupid, lazy, stock-footage or extremely to kid friendly which wasn't to my liking.

It didn't pick up until Godzilla vs Mecha-Godzilla 1974 an Terror of Mecha-Godzilla...

The 90's series suffered the same exact fate.... Godzilla 1985 was brilliant, right up there with the Original in my opinion.. Godzilla vs Biollante was awesome, great monster, great effects, an surprisingly likable characters. An G-vs-King Ghidorah was also good... then the series started falling apart again until Destroyah.
You really needed to re-read this post before posting it. I understood about 3 sentances. And ''Godzilla 1985'' brilliant? Really?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:Showa started out great.... From the Original, Godzilla raids again, Kong King vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah the three headed monster, Destroy all monsters is over-rated i think it was just okay.... Then the series went to shit in terms of quality to either being just stupid, lazy, stock-footage or extremely to kid friendly which wasn't to my liking.

You really needed to re-read this post before posting it. I understood about 3 sentances. And ''Godzilla 1985'' brilliant? Really?
While I don't know that I'd use the word "brilliant" for the film as a whole, Godzilla 1985 has a really affecting atmosphere and some individual moments that approach - maybe achieve - brilliance.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

MaxRebo320 wrote:

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But I agree, I dislike Godzilla 1985.

The Showa series has a lot more great films than bad ones. Gojira, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Invasion of the Astro-Monster, and Son of Godzilla were great, pretty much the best Godzilla films there are. The rest are pretty good. Only real "terrible one" is Godzilla Raids Again.

Likewise, the Heisei series has a couple of good ones, like Godzilla vs. Destoroyah and Godzilla vs. Biollante. The rest are meh to bad, with Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla at the bottom. And the Millenium series has the great GMK and the good Godzilla 2000. The rest are, again, meh to terrible.

My opinion, anyways.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mr. X wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote:

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But I agree, I dislike Godzilla 1985.

The Showa series has a lot more great films than bad ones. Gojira, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Invasion of the Astro-Monster, and Son of Godzilla were great, pretty much the best Godzilla films there are. The rest are pretty good. Only real "terrible one" is Godzilla Raids Again.

Likewise, the Heisei series has a couple of good ones, like Godzilla vs. Destoroyah and Godzilla vs. Biollante. The rest are meh to bad, with Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla at the bottom. And the Millenium series has the great GMK and the good Godzilla 2000. The rest are, again, meh to terrible.

My opinion, anyways.
I don't get all the GRA hate, although I've posted in detail about my reasons for liking it in the GRA thread, so I won't go into it here.

But if I had to name a single "terrible" Showa era G-flick, it'd probably be Godzilla vs. Megalon - which I still really enjoy.

Whereas, I would put down literally half the Millennium films as "terrible."