Talkback: Horror of the Wolf (1973)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Talkback: Horror of the Wolf (1973)

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Horror of the Wolf

Has anybody seen this movie? How is it? It looks very psychedelic.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Dr. Nishiyama
Monsterland Worker

Re: Horror of the Wolf

Post by Dr. Nishiyama »

I've seen it, although without subs. It's based on the manga and series of novels called "Wolf Guy", detailing Wolf Guy's high school years. It feels more like a Toei produced movie rather than a Toho one just for the sheer amount of sleaze, nudity, and graphic violence in it. It also has one of the Seatopean agents in it in a brief role. Still dying to see this one with subs and wish the Wolf Guy character was more accessable in the US.

EDIT: it's okay from what I can get from it, and it's very "artsy" on how it was shot. The music by Ri'ichiro Manabe (Hedorah, Megalon) is his best work.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Dr. Nishiyama wrote:I've seen it, although without subs. It's based on the manga and series of novels called "Wolf Guy", detailing Wolf Guy's high school years. It feels more like a Toei produced movie rather than a Toho one just for the sheer amount of sleaze, nudity, and graphic violence in it. It also has one of the Seatopean agents in it in a brief role. Still dying to see this one with subs and wish the Wolf Guy character was more accessable in the US.

EDIT: it's okay from what I can get from it, and it's very "artsy" on how it was shot. The music by Ri'ichiro Manabe (Hedorah, Megalon) is his best work.
Thanks. A seems a bit interesting. (And not just for the nudity!) I'll check out the manga, and see if it's any good.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

The soundtrack to this film is actually one of Riichiro Manabe's better efforts (although not saying a whole lot) and the title theme song by Jiro Sugita is pretty nice as well.

Still, my only exposure to this one is from images and the score on CD. Always been curious if the Wolf Guy head prop was as underwhelming as it looked in pictures or not... I'm quite surprised someone here has seen the actual film too (kudos Nishiyama).
If it bites... don't mess with it!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

This Japanese site has a few pictures, and one of Wolf Guy.
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/hoghug/20100205/p2
Looks like a Halloween mask I had....

Dr. Nishiyama
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dr. Nishiyama »

Another annoying thing in the movie is that Akira Inugami (wolf guy's name) gets the crap kicked out of him thru the movie and hardly ever fights back until the end. Also Max, the manga has never had an official english language release but you can find fan translations ready for download thru a google search. It's a re-working of the original manga of the Crest of the Wolf story line.

Also, the wolf mask wouldnt be so distracting if the rest of him was covered in hair like a werewolf. When he turns into an actual wolf (here played by a hand puppet and german shepherd) was much better executed. We even see him bite out several goons' throats complete with projectile arterial spray!

Anthony, I whole heartedly agree about Jiro Sugata's opening number- it's pretty bad ass, but thought for the longest time it was don by the film's antagonist Yusaku Matsuda!

There was also another Wolf Guy movie from the 70s called "ENRAGE!! Wolf Guy!" starring Sonny Chiba! It detailed his adult like working as a private detective.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I looked up the Sony Chiba film, and it doesn't seem to have any relation to the manga. However, I have not read the manga, or seen the films, so what do I know?
There was also an anime series that had nothing to do with the manga.

Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dash 7 »

I really wanna see this one, i love exploitation, you mkind telling me where you saw it Nishiyama? The soundtrack is great, then again i'm a huge Manabe fan(especially for his work on The Militarists)
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

Dr. Nishiyama
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dr. Nishiyama »

Dash 7 wrote:I really wanna see this one, i love exploitation, you mkind telling me where you saw it Nishiyama? The soundtrack is great, then again i'm a huge Manabe fan(especially for his work on The Militarists)
It was from a site I stumbled upon some 8 years back. Got it with an unsubbed copy of Conflagration. Dont think it's up anymore, but if you're curious about seeing it (plus the website I found it on), send me a PM :D

Toho also has a dvd of the film out too, but of course it isn't subbed. This would've made a GREAT Discotek release!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Dr. Nishiyama wrote:
Dash 7 wrote:I really wanna see this one, i love exploitation, you mkind telling me where you saw it Nishiyama? The soundtrack is great, then again i'm a huge Manabe fan(especially for his work on The Militarists)
It was from a site I stumbled upon some 8 years back. Got it with an unsubbed copy of Conflagration. Dont think it's up anymore, but if you're curious about seeing it (plus the website I found it on), send me a PM :D

Toho also has a dvd of the film out too, but of course it isn't subbed. This would've made a GREAT Discotek release!
They should release a boxset with ''Horror of the Wolf'' and Toho's Dracula films.