Is Godzilla a fictional character in All Monsters Attack?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Is Godzilla a fictional character in All Monsters Attack?

Post by Gojira-Fan »

The "Worst Sequel" thread got off-topic and got to talking about this thread's title.

What do you think? Is Godzilla fictional in All Monsters Attack? Is he real? Or is the answer supposed to be ambiguous?

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Re: Is Godzilla a fictional character in All Monsters Attack

Post by Mincecraft »

It probably is in that same universe, only Godzilla wasn't on the rampage that day and he just dreamed being there.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

This is my view. The quote is taken from the "Worst Movie Sequels" thread.
Perhaps the fact that whether Godzilla is fictional or not in All Monsters Attack's universe was purposefully left ambiguous.

If any of you have ever seen Inception, you will definitely remember the part when the top wobbles at the end. I remember reading that when the filmmakers were asked that if the whole movie was just a dream or not, they said that it was meant to be ambiguous.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

There's no evidence given in All Monsters Attack that says Godzilla is fictional.

I personally believe the film takes place in the same universe as the other Showa Godzilla films.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Is there really a God ...zilla?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I prefer to think that it takes place in the real world of 1969, and that Ichiro is a big fan of Godzilla movies, therefore his dreams feature clips from the late '60s movies which he would have been most familiar with.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It would appear that way.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Tamura wrote:I prefer to think that it takes place in the real world of 1969, and that Ichiro is a big fan of Godzilla movies, therefore his dreams feature clips from the late '60s movies which he would have been most familiar with.
That would explain how he knew everything about the monsters. Godzillas first fanboy.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

I've always thought it was just part of the Showa timeline. No real evidence against that. I was always curious about how the whole thing that Godzilla is fictional in that movie started.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Or maybe the simple fact is that the Showa filmmakers didn't care about keeping a sort of continuity that the earlier films slightly followed.
Amen to this.

The Godzilla fandom is more concerned about continuity than any other fandom I've seen. I really don't think it matters if AMA is canon or not if it's all a part of a kid's dream anyway - it has no long-term effects or reprecussions on the franchise. Even if it's in continuity, it's at best, a charming little side-story. To remove or re-add AMA to canon does not change a single thing about the franchise and therefore, I'd say it's pretty irrelevant.

These discussions make me genuinely want to ask the original filmmakers if each film was prepared under consideration of the previous.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

JVM wrote:
Or maybe the simple fact is that the Showa filmmakers didn't care about keeping a sort of continuity that the earlier films slightly followed.
Amen to this.

The Godzilla fandom is more concerned about continuity than any other fandom I've seen. I really don't think it matters if AMA is canon or not if it's all a part of a kid's dream anyway - it has no long-term effects or reprecussions on the franchise. Even if it's in continuity, it's at best, a charming little side-story. To remove or re-add AMA to canon does not change a single thing about the franchise and therefore, I'd say it's pretty irrelevant.

These discussions make me genuinely want to ask the original filmmakers if each film was prepared under consideration of the previous.
In response to your highlighted sentence I can only share my personal experience. As a big Star Trek fan many of them, myself to a certain point included, are pretty rabid about continuity. But for Godzilla movies I really could care less about continuity.

As for All Monster's Attack I think the movie itself is ambiguous about where and if it takes place in the Godzilla universe or the real world. Therefore with no infinitival answer both views work.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

The movie uses stock footage, wich means the scennes are exactly the same than those of the movies they came from (Duh). It would make more sense if the kid saw the movies and is re-imagining them, than just happening to imagine events that actually happened in that universe, exactly like they happened, but wich he had no way to know.

True, they probably didn't care, but still.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Terrier wrote:The movie uses stock footage, wich means the scennes are exactly the same than those of the movies they came from (Duh). It would make more sense if the kid saw the movies and is re-imagining them, than just happening to imagine events that actually happened in that universe, exactly like they happened, but wich he had no way to know.

Probably the best answer I've heard, in combo with Tamura's idea.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Terrier wrote:The movie uses stock footage, wich means the scennes are exactly the same than those of the movies they came from (Duh). It would make more sense if the kid saw the movies and is re-imagining them, than just happening to imagine events that actually happened in that universe, exactly like they happened, but wich he had no way to know.

But what if Ichiro is a spy, who has been through all of Godzilla's adventures? Hey, he seems like a sneaky little bastard, sneaking into construction sites and all.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

MaxRebo320 wrote:But what if Ichiro is a spy, who has been through all of Godzilla's adventures? Hey, he seems like a sneaky little bastard, sneaking into construction sites and all.
I... cannot express how okay I am with this theory... I may re-watch the movie... nah, the whole era with that in mind.

Another theory, what if Godzilla is real in AMA, but also many of the showa films from where the stock footage is taken are films in that movie universe? Maybe only the original happened "for real", or maybe it was loosely based on what "really" happened. Who knows how may be world outside of what we saw in the film.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

^ Gotta be the most convoluted theory I ever heard. :dizzy:

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Mincecraft wrote:^ Gotta be the most convoluted theory I ever heard. :dizzy:
You must be new on the internet ;) .

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Terrier wrote:Another theory, what if Godzilla is real in AMA, but also many of the showa films from where the stock footage is taken are films in that movie universe? Maybe only the original happened "for real", or maybe it was loosely based on what "really" happened. Who knows how may be world outside of what we saw in the film.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Terrier wrote:
Mincecraft wrote:^ Gotta be the most convoluted theory I ever heard. :dizzy:
You must be new on the internet ;) .
Hardy, skreeonk, har. :g2k:

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Think of 'The Return of the Living Death'. In that movie, the characters talk about Romero's 'Night of the Living Dead', because it's a movie that exists as a movie in the universe of 'The Return of the Living Death'... and its supossed to have been inspired by real events, again in the universe of 'The Return of the Living Death', where 'Night of the Living Dead' is a movie. Just imagine the brain bleach if one of Romero's movies references 'TRotLD'.

So, in AMA, the kid's fantasies could be based on movies; yet said movies, in AMA's universe, could have been based on "real" events, or on the existence of "real" monsters, one of them being Godzilla. Maybe the incident/s involving Godzilla happened so many years prior that people dared to start using him on their popular culture... Just like the Atomic Bomb...
Last edited by Terrier on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.