A Commonality I noticed between Monster Zero & Ebirah

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
DaveTheAnalyzer
Samurai

A Commonality I noticed between Monster Zero & Ebirah

Post by DaveTheAnalyzer »

After watching Godzilla vs. Monster Zero and Ebirah Horror of the Deep, I couldn't help noticing two similar scenes. In the former, Godzilla and Rodan watch as the humans leave them behind on Planet X, without any response whatsoever.

In the latter, Godzilla watches as Mothra carries the humans away, abandoning him to an island that's about to explode (Though I'm kinda fuzzy if Mothra and/or Godzilla are made aware of this.). But this time, the humans call out and encourage him to swim away from the island. Either Godzilla has good hearing or he sensed danger was afoot, since he escapes just before everything goes kaboom.

Now this is most likely just a coincidence and the writers probably had little care to give for continuity. But from a in-universe perspective, the former confirmed Godzilla's dim perspective on humanity and the latter could have changed it. I found it interesting. What do you think?

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Re: A Commonality I noticed between Monster Zero & Ebirah

Post by The Dark Uniter »

Hahah, my theory is Godzilla didn't hear the human calls but rather used his animal instincts to jump off the island or heard the bomb going off...then again, Godzilla responded in Godzilla vs Gigan after the human characters say "Good-bye" to him, dunno. :)

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

The Dark Uniter wrote:Hahah, my theory is Godzilla didn't hear the human calls but rather used his animal instincts to jump off the island or heard the bomb going off...then again, Godzilla responded in Godzilla vs Gigan after the human characters say "Good-bye" to him, dunno. :)
Based on that I'd say he probably heard them in Ebirah.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Godzilla's shifting views on the human race are a gradual and really interesting character arc (albeit, two-dimensional one). While it would be easy to dismiss the notion of an intentional character arc given to Godzilla, it's indisputable that A) Screenwriter Shinichi Sekizawa wrote all the Godzilla films from King Kong vs. Godzilla to Son of Godzilla and B) His big contribution to the genre and how he revised it from its roots in the fifties into what it became in the sixties was his conscious choice to treat the monsters as characters.

There's no official statement that I'm aware of that states solidly that he did it on purpose, but it would not be surprising if he did do it intentionally, even if just to hold his own interest as a writer.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:I think they were originally calling out to King Kong and then they realized they lost his rights.
Yes for vs. Ebirah that was the case.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:I think they were originally calling out to King Kong and then they realized they lost his rights.
It was originally planned for King Kong until the US company they were co-financing disapproved of the relatively new Director in Fukuda. Toho wouldn't put Honda back in the Directors chair for this project and the US aspect of the production fell through.

Kong definitely comes through in Godzilla in this film, but it still works as a progression in his character and Sekizawa would still have had to craft a new draft of the script, even though he clearly didn't have any time to make any more extensive changes.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote:
It was originally planned for King Kong until the US company they were co-financing disapproved of the relatively new Director in Fukuda. Toho wouldn't put Honda back in the Directors chair for this project and the US aspect of the production fell through.

Kong definitely comes through in Godzilla in this film, but it still works as a progression in his character and Sekizawa would still have had to craft a new draft of the script, even though he clearly didn't have any time to make any more extensive changes.
Dammit, Ryan! Stop ruining my jokes.
I would have ruined it IF IT WAS FUNNY IN THE FIRST PLACE, NICK.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I thought it was funny..............................

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla was abandoned in MZ, but his hero status was still fresh and new. By the time of SM, it was clear Godzilla was now a good guy. The characters owed Godzilla twice, so they warned him of the coming danger.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

NSZ wrote:
edgaguirus wrote: By the time of SM, it was clear Godzilla was now a good guy.
It was? It seemed to me that the only reason the characters woke up Godzilla in the first place was because they had no other option left, that they had reached the so called 'Godzilla Threshold'.
True. Don't forget he almost ended up killing the humans by attacking Mothra... for literally no reason at all. Of course, he was never exactly having a good boring in the first place: wake up and get attacked by a giant lobster, take a nap, wake up and get attacked by a giant condor and a plane squadron, find a military base that's shooting you, and fight the damn lobster again! I can see why Godzilla may have been a little grumpy by that point.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Godzilla's aggressive indifference to the world around him and how he gets stuck in these elaborate world changing events against his own will is something I've always enjoyed and found funny.

Like, he's this element that could turn the tide and change the entire landscape of world politics forever that would rather take a nap. It's wonderful.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

He can definitely be seen as the ultimate indomitable spirit. The militaries attempt to impose order on him to no avail. I mean sure, they shut him down every once in a while.... But they can really only delay him.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Ugh, the end of GvstSM makes me tear up every time :)

Love the gradual change of the relationship between him and humanity as each series progresses.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

TokyoVigilante wrote: Dammit, Ryan! Stop ruining my jokes.
I would have ruined it IF IT WAS FUNNY IN THE FIRST PLACE, NICK.

Hey, my name's Nick, and I used to have a friend named Ryan. I think his name's Michelle now, but I'll treasure the memories we had together. Even if I was a stupid little kid...
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

godzilla96
Samurai

Post by godzilla96 »

when i was 5 or 6 i thought it was realy sad because they left him
Godzilla is king of the monsters.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

When Mothra collided with Godzilla in Ebirah: Horror of the Deep, it was her way of saying "Hey dumbass, get the hell out of the way, there's an F'n bomb about to go off!" And Godzilla, decided "Explosions suck ass..." and decided not to stay.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla: