Gwangi vs. Monster X

For the discussion of all fantasy matches, Toho or otherwise. To post, you must join the FM Usergroup.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Gwangi vs. Monster X

Post by Gigantis »

Naaah X ain't clapping poop. Gwangi is just to much of a durable skreoonk for X to get any real hits in,and the allosaurus's tactic of going for the neck is gonna end up killing him.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

both monsters are incredibly durable.
I'm sorry, when the flying absolute fuck did Monster X show ANYTHING resembling the durability levels of Gwangi? Oh, when Godzilla literally PINNED HIM ON THE GROUND and beat on him like an abusive brother?
1) Monster X is mostly covered in durable armor (which greatly diminishes Gwangi’s only shot at winning this).
AHAHAHAHA, yeah, super durable. Where Gigan sliced the TIP of one of his spines and made him scream in pain.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

Inferno Rodan wrote:But see, that's the thing. Monster X's neck is notably lacking in armor:
https://www.kaijuaddicts.com/wp-content ... er-X-6.jpg

Gwangi showed repeatedly that he specifically targets the throat/neck when it's available. Against an opponent shaped like Monster X, whose throat is quite literally facing right at him, Gwangi's gonna go straight for it.

Regarding the bolded section, that's a pretty silly statement to make given Monster X's track record. You know, the whole "laid there getting punched in the face for 10 minutes straight" thing that we talk about every single time we have any discussion involving him. And before you say that was a special case because he was being overwhelmed by Godzilla or whatever, I'd just like to point out that he's going to be in the exact same position here too. Gwangi's entire fighting style literally revolves around getting his opponent off their feet, pinning them down, and chewing on them until they stop moving. And as a side note to that, to aid in accomplishing the first part of that strategy Gwangi also very often targets the legs of his opponent, which is another area on Monster X that is notably lightly armored:
https://www.kaijuaddicts.com/wp-content ... er-X-2.jpg
https://www.kaijuaddicts.com/wp-content ... er-X-3.jpg
Oh, absolutely. Gwangi would definitely try to exploit Monster X’s unarmored areas. Problem is we don’t exactly know how vulnerable Monster X’s unarmored areas are. Like, would it be weaker than the skin of a scaled elephant? Is it stronger than Godzilla’s flesh? Monster X’s skin seems at least comparable to the latter, given its resistance to fire and such. I’m sure we can both agree Gwangi’s jaws are more than capable of injuring those areas but he’d have a much harder time doing it to Monster X than with the elephant. Unlike the elephant or the Styracosaurus, Monster X has arms that help him in close quarters combat. It seems like Gwangi takes multiple bites but doesn’t clamp his jaws down like, say, an alligator. If he’s going for Monster X’s throat, he will let go to try and bite MX again, at which point MX will be free to retaliate and/or defend himself.

As for the "laid there getting punched in the face for 10 minutes straight" argument we’ve had for millions of years, yeah, you nailed my response; Monster X was being overpowered by Godzilla for those 10 minutes (just as he had been getting the better of Godzilla for an even longer amount of time in their battle prior), and it’s silly to conflate that with MX being weak/a terrible fighter/a moron. I don’t think you’re interested in arguing whether or not this makes Monster X an idiot. We’ve done that. What I will do is point out how this 10-minute beatdown accomplished next to nothing. Monster X escaped completely unscathed. That is the reason why this anti-Monster X argument is ultimately self-refuting.
I guess. The difference is that Gwangi is bringing that power to bear literally every single time he attacks, while Monster X just kinda does it once like every 5-10 minutes or so.
Context matters. MX probably would’ve done more had his second attempt not been shrugged off by Godzilla. I doubt Gwangi would shrug ‘em off, which would, in turn, prompt MX to use them more.
Armor which is largely absent from the areas which Gwangi specifically primarily targets.
This opponent is unlike anything Gwangi has ever faced. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gwangi tried biting one of Monster X’s other faces. Sure, he’d go for the throat but that might be a costly mistake. And once again, it’s not like Gwangi will clamp down on MX’s throat and tighten his grip for a minute straight.
Debatable. Monster X's most impressive feat is lifting Godzilla. Nothing to scoff at by any means, especially given the way he did it. But Gwangi is no slouch either. The elephant he fought was a large male around 10 feet tall at the shoulder, which would put it at about 6 tons. Obviously we don't have an official weight for Gwangi himself, but 4 tons seems reasonable for him: he's clearly significantly smaller than the elephant, but far bulkier than a typical theropod of his size. Anyway, at the end of the fight, Gwangi lunges and grabs the elephant by the throat and continues to push upward, clearly making both of the elephant's front feet leave the ground. Now obviously its back feet stayed on the ground so he wasn't lifting the entirety of its 6-ton mass, but he was certainly lifting the majority of it. So Monster X lifted the entirety of an opponent slightly lighter than himself, while Gwangi lifted the majority of an opponent 50% heavier than himself. In terms of raw strength, they're probably fairly equal. What's more important, though, is how that strength is used, and that's where Monster X is lacking. He only used his impressive strength once during an extended battle, and it wasn't exactly utilized effectively during that single use. Gwangi also only used his strength once, but it was during a fight that only lasted about a minute and was utilized to effectively incapacitate his opponent. I have little doubt that Gwangi would absolutely body Monster X in a physical clash.
Two things:

1) Gwangi lifting the elephant up by the throat is not as conclusive as you think. It looks like the elephant reacted to Gwangi’s bite by standing up on its own accord, as if out of surprise/pain.
2) Even still, both feats of strength – Monster X lifting Godzilla/Gwangi allegedly lifting the elephant – are aesthetically different. How Monster X lifted Godzilla is extremely difficult to replicate, even if you’re larger and stronger than your opponent, thus making it the more impressive feat of strength. And it would’ve proven effective against Gwangi, too. There’s a high chance MX would seek to do something similar to Gwangi in this fight.

I will grant that Gwangi is stronger than I originally gave him credit for. Having watched the film again, Gwangi does demonstrate a few other feats of strength. One that stands out is the one where Gwangi is wedged inside what appears to be cave. He’s trying to escape but can’t because he’s too big. Eventually he breaks through, knocking down a large chunk of rock that appears to match him in size. Doing this exhausted him to the point where he collapsed, however.

There’s also a minor example of Gwangi opening a large church door with his tail. The catch is it was being held by a total of 10 grown men. It looked like Gwangi overpowered all of them with just the flick of his tail.
Doubtful, at least with as infrequently as he uses them. Like, I can't emphasize how much of a tank Gwangi is. A long time ago I calculated the weight of the first chunk of rubble that fell on Gwangi during the climactic scene in the church. Assuming it was granite, it would have weighed between 25 and 30 tons (the exact number I got was 27.37 tons, but obviously I'm estimating the rubble's dimensions so there's some leeway).
Your calculation is solid. It is an impressive durability feat.
To put that on a kaiju perspective, how well do you think Monster X, or GFW Godzilla, or any other kaiju for that matter, would handle a mass equal to TWO Final Form Biollantes falling on them from a great height? Because Gwangi survived that.
Now you’re just opening a can of worms.

To answer your question, how well do I think Monster X, FW Godzilla, or any other kaiju would handle something similar? Not very well. I’m not sure about Monster X, but FW Godzilla, having not taken well to being dropped on his head, would be put out of commission. For how long exactly? I don’t know.
Calling it a stalemate is giving Monster X far too much credit, I think. How many hits did he actually get in during the entirety of the fight? There was the backfist-tailwhip combo, the jumping claw exchange, and a couple hits from his beams. That's really it, as far as I recall. He was hanging in there, sure, but he was far from being Godzilla's equal.
Actually, calling it a stalemate would be an understatement.

Before Mothra intervened, Monster X had a slight advantage over Godzilla. Between the two, Monster X landed more hits, brought Godzilla to his knees, etc.
God that match was legendary.
Looking back, Gorosaurus’s upset over Monster X has become the highlight of the DD for me. Good times.
Last edited by Tomzilla on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Gwangi gets slapped down like the b***h he is. End Thread. ;)
Last edited by Red-Death Gigan on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly still convinced Gwangi wins because of X's incompetance and his useful tactic of biting the unarmored neck.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Tomzilla wrote:Oh, absolutely. Gwangi would definitely try to exploit Monster X’s unarmored areas. Problem is we don’t exactly know how vulnerable Monster X’s unarmored areas are. Like, would it be weaker than the skin of a scaled elephant? Is it stronger than Godzilla’s flesh? Monster X’s skin seems at least comparable to the latter, given its resistance to fire and such. I’m sure we can both agree Gwangi’s jaws are more than capable of injuring those areas but he’d have a much harder time doing it to Monster X than with the elephant.
Of course. This fight is going to be a long one. It's a battle between a pair of immovable objects. Two brick walls slamming against each other. Etc. It's just that one of them is a way more capable fighter than the other.
Unlike the elephant or the Styracosaurus, Monster X has arms that help him in close quarters combat. It seems like Gwangi takes multiple bites but doesn’t clamp his jaws down like, say, an alligator. If he’s going for Monster X’s throat, he will let go to try and bite MX again, at which point MX will be free to retaliate and/or defend himself.

As for the "laid there getting punched in the face for 10 minutes straight" argument we’ve had for millions of years, yeah, you nailed my response; Monster X was being overpowered by Godzilla for those 10 minutes (just as he had been getting the better of Godzilla for an even longer amount of time in their battle prior), and it’s silly to conflate that with MX being weak/a terrible fighter/a moron. I don’t think you’re interested in arguing whether or not this makes Monster X an idiot. We’ve done that. What I will do is point out how this 10-minute beatdown accomplished next to nothing. Monster X escaped completely unscathed. That is the reason why this anti-Monster X argument is ultimately self-refuting.
You missed my point. Monster X didn't "retaliate and/or defend himself" when Godzilla was on him. He never showed the presence of mind to do so despite having ample opportunity. Why would that change when Gwangi is going to put him in the exact same situation? And yeah, sure, MX might get out of it eventually, just like he did with Godzilla, but then Gwangi will just repeat it because his entire battle strategy revolves around doing that.
Context matters. MX probably would’ve done more had his second attempt not been shrugged off by Godzilla. I doubt Gwangi would shrug ‘em off, which would, in turn, prompt MX to use them more.
Later on in this very post that I'm replying to, you admit that Gwangi is tougher than GFW Godzilla based on the rubble feat. If they weren't effective against Godzilla, why would they be more effective against the even tougher Gwangi? And besides that, your argument here doesn't even hold up in the absence of that contradiction. If MX was inclined to behave as you say, he wouldn't have waited so long to use his beams again after the first time, because they had far more effect on Godzilla than anything else he'd done up until that point.
This opponent is unlike anything Gwangi has ever faced. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gwangi tried biting one of Monster X’s other faces. Sure, he’d go for the throat but that might be a costly mistake. And once again, it’s not like Gwangi will clamp down on MX’s throat and tighten his grip for a minute straight.
How, exactly, might going for MX's throat "be a costly mistake"? Also, you realize that repeatedly biting inflicts more damage than just clamping and holding, right? Stop trying to use that against Gwangi when it's the more effective use of his weaponry.
Two things:

1) Gwangi lifting the elephant up by the throat is not as conclusive as you think. It looks like the elephant reacted to Gwangi’s bite by standing up on its own accord, as if out of surprise/pain.
Except elephants don't do that. They can rear up on their hind legs, but it's extremely slow and awkward and requires positioning their hind legs further forward under their center of mass so they can tilt backwards over them, and it's certainly not something they ever do in a fight because it puts them in a very vulnerable position. What happened there was 100% Gwangi's doing.
2) Even still, both feats of strength – Monster X lifting Godzilla/Gwangi allegedly lifting the elephant – are aesthetically different. How Monster X lifted Godzilla is extremely difficult to replicate, even if you’re larger and stronger than your opponent, thus making it the more impressive feat of strength. And it would’ve proven effective against Gwangi, too. There’s a high chance MX would seek to do something similar to Gwangi in this fight.
Gwangi's arms and hands are literally too small for MX to even attempt doing anything remotely similar to what he did to Godzilla - there simply isn't enough to grab onto. And even if he did, why do you say it would be effective against Gwangi? It did jack all against Godzilla, because the extent to which he twisted Godzilla's arms was within their normal range of motion. Unless you can produce some compelling evidence that Gwangi's arms have less range of motion than Godzilla's (and don't bother citing biomechanical studies of real dinosaur limbs because Gwangi is built nothing like a real dinosaur), then your argument here has zero basis.
I will grant that Gwangi is stronger than I originally gave him credit for. Having watched the film again, Gwangi does demonstrate a few other feats of strength. One that stands out is the one where Gwangi is wedged inside what appears to be cave. He’s trying to escape but can’t because he’s too big. Eventually he breaks through, knocking down a large chunk of rock that appears to match him in size. Doing this exhausted him to the point where he collapsed, however.

There’s also a minor example of Gwangi opening a large church door with his tail. The catch is it was being held by a total of 10 grown men. It looked like Gwangi overpowered all of them with just the flick of his tail.
I mean, if you want to be completely fair on the matter, then you have to count off-screen feats like you do with MX. In which case Gwangi is one of the most physically powerful monsters ever. Remember the 27-ton block of rubble that fell on him? After it fell on him, the camera cut away to the people outside. When it cuts back a few seconds later, said block of rubble is nowhere to be seen. That means he hurled ~7x his mass at least a couple dozen feet away so that it was no longer in view of the shot.
Now you’re just opening a can of worms.

To answer your question, how well do I think Monster X, FW Godzilla, or any other kaiju would handle something similar? Not very well. I’m not sure about Monster X, but FW Godzilla, having not taken well to being dropped on his head, would be put out of commission. For how long exactly? I don’t know.
Good to know we're in agreement here.
Actually, calling it a stalemate would be an understatement.

Before Mothra intervened, Monster X had a slight advantage over Godzilla. Between the two, Monster X landed more hits, brought Godzilla to his knees, etc.
???

When Mothra intervened, MX and Gigan were teaming up against Godzilla. Of course they had a slight advantage over him.
Looking back, Gorosaurus’s upset over Monster X has become the highlight of the DD for me. Good times.
That, the first turn critical hit near-win that Giant Sea Snake got against MX, and the ongoing Russian Nuke shenanigans with Heisei KG are my top 3, personally. Good times indeed.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

Inferno Rodan wrote:Of course. This fight is going to be a long one. It's a battle between a pair of immovable objects. Two brick walls slamming against each other. Etc. It's just that one of them is a way more capable fighter than the other.
I agree. We just disagree on who the more capable fighter is and whether or not that is enough to win. I’m almost compelled to just leave it at that. Let’s see how this goes.
You missed my point. Monster X didn't "retaliate and/or defend himself" when Godzilla was on him. He never showed the presence of mind to do so despite having ample opportunity. Why would that change when Gwangi is going to put him in the exact same situation? And yeah, sure, MX might get out of it eventually, just like he did with Godzilla, but then Gwangi will just repeat it because his entire battle strategy revolves around doing that.
Except Monster X defended himself when Godzilla was on top of him. Monster X blocked two of Godzilla’s punches and then shoved him back. By the way, Gwangi can’t physically put MX in the exact same situation. Godzilla was bludgeoning MX with his fists; Gwangi can’t do that. Even if Gwangi could do all this and force MX into the same exact situation, it wouldn't matter; the point is MX escaped all that unscathed. There’s nothing to suggest that bludgeoning MX for 100 minutes would injure him.

Sure, Gwangi will be chomping away and such, but that’s not exactly the same situation now is it?
Later on in this very post that I'm replying to, you admit that Gwangi is tougher than GFW Godzilla based on the rubble feat. If they weren't effective against Godzilla, why would they be more effective against the even tougher Gwangi? And besides that, your argument here doesn't even hold up in the absence of that contradiction. If MX was inclined to behave as you say, he wouldn't have waited so long to use his beams again after the first time, because they had far more effect on Godzilla than anything else he'd done up until that point.
Did I though? All I said was FW Godzilla wouldn’t handle it well and that he would be put out of commission for an unknown period of time. That doesn’t mean I think Gwangi is tougher. My Now you’re just opening a can of worms statement was alluding to Godzilla’s high-end durability feats (e.g., the meteor explosion, beam war explosion, etc.), feats you either reject or think are hyperbolic. So, if you want to know who I think is tougher – FW Godzilla or Gwangi – I’d pick the former. They appear to have comparable levels of resistance to blunt force, however.

Moreover, MX didn’t seem to rely heavily on his beams because his second barrage was ineffective. There’s no reason to think he wouldn’t use them more against Gwangi. Gwangi’s blunt force resistance may be comparable to Godzilla’s, but there’s no evidence to suggest he’d just as easily shrug off MX’s energy beams. On the contrary, I think MX’s beams would inflict about as much damage on Gwangi as they imparted on Godzilla. It might not seem like much at first, but this fight will be—as you put it—a long one, and Gwangi will rack up more injuries as the fight continues.
How, exactly, might going for MX's throat "be a costly mistake"? Also, you realize that repeatedly biting inflicts more damage than just clamping and holding, right? Stop trying to use that against Gwangi when it's the more effective use of his weaponry.
For clarification, I think clamping down and not letting go would be a more effective tactic against Monster X. By letting go, Gwangi’s giving MX a chance to retaliate.

Even if Gwangi is a more capable fighter, I fail to see how that helps him in the long run. It looks like we’re in agreement about Gwangi not being able to damage MX’s armor. But you’ve yet to prove MX’s unarmored areas—his skin—are in as much peril as you seem to suggest. Repeated bites might cause more damage if we knew the limits of MX’s skin.
Except elephants don't do that. They can rear up on their hind legs, but it's extremely slow and awkward and requires positioning their hind legs further forward under their center of mass so they can tilt backwards over them, and it's certainly not something they ever do in a fight because it puts them in a very vulnerable position. What happened there was 100% Gwangi's doing.
OK, I’ll take your word for it. That sounds more convincing.
Gwangi's arms and hands are literally too small for MX to even attempt doing anything remotely similar to what he did to Godzilla - there simply isn't enough to grab onto. And even if he did, why do you say it would be effective against Gwangi? It did jack all against Godzilla, because the extent to which he twisted Godzilla's arms was within their normal range of motion. Unless you can produce some compelling evidence that Gwangi's arms have less range of motion than Godzilla's (and don't bother citing biomechanical studies of real dinosaur limbs because Gwangi is built nothing like a real dinosaur), then your argument here has zero basis.
If you have reason to believe Gwangi’s arms are durable enough to withstand MX’s twisting shenanigans without incurring damage, I’m all ears (err, eyes).
I mean, if you want to be completely fair on the matter, then you have to count off-screen feats like you do with MX.
Since we’re on the subject of fairness, I’ll admit MX’s offscreen feats against Godzilla is a direct counter to the "MX getting punched in the face for 10 minutes straight" argument, which mostly happened offscreen, too. I’m fully in favor of counting things that only happened onscreen.

I was serious about the strength feats Gwangi displayed, by the way. I do think they’re impressive. I can only imagine how much more of a beast Gwangi would be if he had an energy weapon and/or a super healing factor.
In which case Gwangi is one of the most physically powerful monsters ever. Remember the 27-ton block of rubble that fell on him? After it fell on him, the camera cut away to the people outside. When it cuts back a few seconds later, said block of rubble is nowhere to be seen. That means he hurled ~7x his mass at least a couple dozen feet away so that it was no longer in view of the shot.
It seems like you’re being sarcastic. But if you’re serious, wouldn’t that be an outlier?
???

When Mothra intervened, MX and Gigan were teaming up against Godzilla. Of course they had a slight advantage over him.
Oops. I meant to write before Gigan intervened.
That, the first turn critical hit near-win that Giant Sea Snake got against MX, and the ongoing Russian Nuke shenanigans with Heisei KG are my top 3, personally. Good times indeed.
Oh, dude. I completely forgot about the Giant Sea Snake near-win. We should’ve made KWC adaptations of the DD dice roll results. Such a waste of golden material.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Couldn't MX just put Gwangi in a headlock like a rabid dog, and snap his neck. Ending this in seconds?

It's not like he has arms to pick himself back up. Just think Kong vs V-Rex, except we're talking about an armored alien with 2 whip-like tails.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

One of my friends says that Gwangi is slow, dumb, and over all not a competent fighter. He says Gwangi's only strength is his durability.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GmkGoji wrote:One of my friends says that Gwangi is slow, dumb, and over all not a competent fighter. He says Gwangi's only strength is his durability.
Well maybe he ain't the brightest, but put him up to kaiju size and all that durability and strength (like forcing that elephant on his side then crushing it's windpipe) is gonna do some damage!
_JNavs_ wrote:Couldn't MX just put Gwangi in a headlock like a rabid dog, and snap his neck. Ending this in seconds?

It's not like he has arms to pick himself back up. Just think Kong vs V-Rex, except we're talking about an armored alien with 2 whip-like tails.
Didn't he pick himself back up on his side after being struck by the Styracosaurus? Also no. X would never do something like that,he's to dumb to really even think about it, instead opting for "gonna beat this loser to death!"..which is not gonna work on Gwangi.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Tomzilla wrote:Except Monster X defended himself when Godzilla was on top of him. Monster X blocked two of Godzilla’s punches and then shoved him back. By the way, Gwangi can’t physically put MX in the exact same situation. Godzilla was bludgeoning MX with his fists; Gwangi can’t do that. Even if Gwangi could do all this and force MX into the same exact situation, it wouldn't matter; the point is MX escaped all that unscathed. There’s nothing to suggest that bludgeoning MX for 100 minutes would injure him.

Sure, Gwangi will be chomping away and such, but that’s not exactly the same situation now is it?
Monster X will be pinned beneath an opponent that is relentlessly attacking him. So yes, it will be effectively exactly the same situation. The specific attack being performed not being exactly the same (punches vs bites) doesn't change that. And quite frankly, bites would be more difficult to effectively defend against anyway.
Did I though? All I said was FW Godzilla wouldn’t handle it well and that he would be put out of commission for an unknown period of time. That doesn’t mean I think Gwangi is tougher. My Now you’re just opening a can of worms statement was alluding to Godzilla’s high-end durability feats (e.g., the meteor explosion, beam war explosion, etc.), feats you either reject or think are hyperbolic. So, if you want to know who I think is tougher – FW Godzilla or Gwangi – I’d pick the former. They appear to have comparable levels of resistance to blunt force, however.

Moreover, MX didn’t seem to rely heavily on his beams because his second barrage was ineffective. There’s no reason to think he wouldn’t use them more against Gwangi. Gwangi’s blunt force resistance may be comparable to Godzilla’s, but there’s no evidence to suggest he’d just as easily shrug off MX’s energy beams. On the contrary, I think MX’s beams would inflict about as much damage on Gwangi as they imparted on Godzilla. It might not seem like much at first, but this fight will be—as you put it—a long one, and Gwangi will rack up more injuries as the fight continues.
You realize explosions are physical force too, right? And there's this weirdly common misconception that kaiju beam attacks deal damage in some special way that physical durability doesn't account for. This isn't Pokémon. There's no such thing as a "Special Defense" stat. Durability is durability. Obviously heat resistance is totally separate from physical durability (see: ceramics), but the fact of the matter is the importance of the heat aspect of the vast majority of beam attacks is greatly overstated. They simply aren't in contact with the target long enough for it to be much of a factor. And that's certainly the case with MX's beams.
For clarification, I think clamping down and not letting go would be a more effective tactic against Monster X. By letting go, Gwangi’s giving MX a chance to retaliate.
And I keep telling you that retaliation is precisely what MX is terrible at doing. He NEVER ONCE retaliated to a physical attack. NEVER. The only attack he retaliated to at all was the beam he took to the face, to which he responded with his own beams.
Even if Gwangi is a more capable fighter, I fail to see how that helps him in the long run. It looks like we’re in agreement about Gwangi not being able to damage MX’s armor. But you’ve yet to prove MX’s unarmored areas—his skin—are in as much peril as you seem to suggest. Repeated bites might cause more damage if we knew the limits of MX’s skin.
He's given me absolutely no reason to assume his skin is anything but average durability. It neither was damaged by unimpressive attacks, nor withstood strong ones. It was never hit by anything at all, really. So there's only two reasonable paths to take on the matter: assume it's average, or throw up your hands and say "we just don't know." The former allows for some discussion to take place, while the latter prevents any discussion at all. This applies to anything in FM discussions where there's an unknown factor brought about by absence of evidence, be it for durability, physical strength, weapon strength, fighting style, anything.
If you have reason to believe Gwangi’s arms are durable enough to withstand MX’s twisting shenanigans without incurring damage, I’m all ears (err, eyes).
Again, there's no durability required to withstand it in the first place, because it's a stupid attempt at an attack that doesn't go beyond the normal range of motion of the bones and joints it's intended to affect. But to directly respond to your query, we know Gwangi's bones and connective tissues are ungodly strong to withstand the whole church rubble feat with no apparent damage, soooo...
It seems like you’re being sarcastic. But if you’re serious, wouldn’t that be an outlier?
Of course. I don't count offscreen feats, and even if I did, like you said it would certainly be an outlier because he never used anywhere near that level of strength at any other time. Honestly, I consider that particular bit either to be some sort of bizarre continuity error, or I just assume the rubble rolled off of him and out of the shot during the cut away.
Oh, dude. I completely forgot about the Giant Sea Snake near-win. We should’ve made KWC adaptations of the DD dice roll results. Such a waste of golden material.
I mean, I don't think anyone would stop you from doing so now. I'd certainly get a kick out of reading 'em.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma