Gwangi vs. Anguirus (Showa)

For the discussion of all fantasy matches, Toho or otherwise. To post, you must join the FM Usergroup.
Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gwangi vs. Anguirus (Showa)

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Alright, let's tone down the hostility and try to be civil here. This goes for both JNAV and IR.

And yes, video game feats aren't allowed because of the nature of video games, unless it's used in a static cutscene unaffected by balancing or difficulty. So for this FM, Showa Anguirus is only doing what he's demonstrated in the Showa films, not what the hybridized version can do in the games.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I legit have no idea how you can look at either of those clips and say Anguirus's spikes cant do shit or Gwangi is an idiot.

Anywho, Gwangi has it but he's gonna get hurt doing it, what with the spikes and teeth an' all

RIP Evan.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

_JNavs_ wrote:In the gif I sent, Gwangi was biting at the Styraco's horns instead of the flesh lol, If he tries to go for any of Anguirus' horns, he'll leave an opening for Anguirus to go for the neck, and not let go, which, seeing Angy's teeth structure, those canines are going to crush Gwangi's windpipe.
How is Anguirus going to go for Gwangi's neck when Gwangi is holding onto his horns? That makes no sense whatsoever. And besides that, have you freaking SEEN how massive Gwangi's neck is? Anguirus is physically incapable of opening his jaws wide enough to get them around it.
You're using the Showa suit as reference, I'm using the character himself, and Anguirus most certainly can move his neck, it's not completely "inflexible",
That's not how it works, buddy. Limitations imposed by the suit translate to limitations on the monsters in FMs. You don't see people saying Heisei Godzilla can jump around and do kung fu, do you? Monsters don't magically become more capable in FMs than they were in their movies. That would render any discussion meaningless.
like I said, once Gwangi is down, that'd give him all the lead way he needs to go for the kill. Anguirus isn't a Styraco.
Two things wrong with this. The first is that being on the ground actually puts Gwangi at very convenient height for attacking Anguirus' unarmored parts. And Gwangi's ground game is damn good. The second is, as I mentioned in my previous post, simply that Anguirus has never demonstrated any killing power ever. You'd be waaaay better off trying to argue that Anguirus would "win" by just making Gwangi fed up with fighting him and leave than by actually scoring a kill.
Nah, I meant how he stupidly goes for the horns twice, instead of the kill. He'd try that on Anguirus, get his teeth busted, realize his mistake, go for the neck, and get his jaw uppercutted/impaled by Anguirus' crown of horns.
wat

No, seriously, wat.

Gwangi's teeth handled chewing on the solid bone of the Styracosaurus' horns and spikes just fine. Why would they suddenly snap if he bites Anguirus' decidedly less robust horns and spikes? And Anguirus never once used any of the horns on his head offensively, so there's no reason to think he would here. And even if he did, it's absolutely laughable to say they would impale Gwangi's jaw when a far more potent horn weapon failed to do anything to him.
Like I said, you implied "Never harmed anything ever" that's not only a blatant exaggeration, but a lie as well.

He clearly injured Ghidorah. Ya just can't tell since you know... They're guys in suits and puppets, there's going to be suit restrictions.
Are you actually reading what you're typing dude? "Ghidorah was clearly injured. There just weren't any visible injuries." Good lord.
Take a major chill with the condescending attitude, I'm not one of your playground school buddies. Like I have stated numerous times, that whole "has never harmed anything ever" comment was blatant nonsense, and I was checking you for saying such an absurd comment by bringing up ALL MEDIA in which it was used effectively. Showa? Check. Millennium? Check. Even the games because skreeonk it why not since you did say "Never ever"? Check.
I shouldn't have to specify that I'm referring to Showa Anguirus in an FM about Showa Anguirus.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

The thing is, IR, unlike the Styraco, Anguirus will fucking go for the jugular. Pretty sure Anguirus biting onto any part of his neck won't be enjoyable, especially with his bite force.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

LamangoKaijura wrote:The thing is, IR, unlike the Styraco, Anguirus will skreeonking go for the jugular. Pretty sure Anguirus biting onto any part of his neck won't be enjoyable, especially with his bite force.
I wrote:And besides that, have you freaking SEEN how massive Gwangi's neck is? Anguirus is physically incapable of opening his jaws wide enough to get them around it.
And this is of course ignoring all of the other logistical issues involved, like Gwangi's neck being way above Anguirus' effective biting range, and the whole deal with him being unable to bite things that aren't horizontal because of his own immobile neck. And all of THAT is ignoring the fact that Gwangi is going to be actively fighting too. Anguirus can't exactly bring his jaws to bear when Gwangi is already chewing on his neck. The ONLY way Anguirus has any chance of latching onto Gwangi's neck is if Gwangi literally just lays on the ground and lets him do it.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Until Anguirus bites his neck and doesn't let go.
Angurius is up against nothing but much longer rows of teeth. Gwangi's vastly larger jaw already makes closing the distance hell being a much longer range weapon.

Then there's the fact Angurius comparably lacks explosiveness to even commit to closing the distance to begin with. The bipedal dino towers over his opponent with quicker reflexes. There's sadly very little Angurius can do to defend himself let alone attack.

PS: It's been awhile Lamango :lol:
Last edited by Unit~NoA on Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Then there's the fact Angurius comparably lacks explosiveness to even commit to closing the distance to begin with.
Jumping. Like he did in 1974.
And all of THAT is ignoring the fact that Gwangi is going to be actively fighting too. Anguirus can't exactly bring his jaws to bear when Gwangi is already chewing on his neck. The ONLY way Anguirus has any chance of latching onto Gwangi's neck is if Gwangi literally just lays on the ground and lets him do it.
Yeah, cause that's how Anguirus works, IR. 1974, Fake Godzilla is literally judo chopping Anguirus' neck with no problem, yet Anguirus kept fucking going until he kicked Anguirus away.
And this is of course ignoring all of the other logistical issues involved, like Gwangi's neck being way above Anguirus' effective biting range, and the whole deal with him being unable to bite things that aren't horizontal because of his own immobile neck.
1972, Ghidorah lands on Anguirus, who then proceeds to bite Ghidorah's neck.
"B-B-BUT STOCK FOOTAGE"
Feck off.

So how about this, IR, Anguirus gets behind Gwangi, bites his tail, doesn't let go. Gwangi can't exactly reach his tail easily. Or he could attempt what he did with Fake Godzilla, rearing up and lunging. Like the 55 Anguirus before him.
Speaking of, wasn't Godzilla's neck to thick to bite, but Anguirus managed to? Both are the same species, both have the same length of mouth/jaw. But nooo, just because Clay-a-saurous Rex is in the match yer biased.
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

HillyHulk
Yuki Special

Post by HillyHulk »

I just watched the movie and can safely say Anguirus has this. Gwangi is a bit of a dummy (yes he goes for the neck and legs in fights which is smart, but he also wound up knocking himself out chasing a couple of cowboys & a cowgirl by going into a cave he didn't fit in (referring to the exit) which is not) and him being bigger wouldn't automatically make him tougher. Anguirus takes fire from the army likes it's nothing like any other kaiju while Gwangi was injured by a flag pole, so durability is an easy edge. Burrowing provides a means for ambushes, traps, and a means of retreat in case things get dicey. Jumping capability provides for a means of pushing down Gwangi with powerful lunges and reaching for his neck with either his teeth or horn quickly as to not be stopped prematurely.

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Jumping. Like he did in 1974.
He lunged and missed by a lot, not even grazing him...

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

HillyHulk wrote:Anguirus takes fire from the army likes it's nothing like any other kaiju while Gwangi was injured by a flag pole, so durability is an easy edge.
You do understand that Gwangi's durability goes up when he's scaled right?
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Unit~NoA wrote:
What? He tore off a huge chunk of skin from Fake Godzilla and even produced sparks. He absolutely grazed him.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

Breakdown wrote:What? He tore off a huge chunk of skin from Fake Godzilla and even produced sparks. He absolutely grazed him.
I was looking at the first attempt where he was aiming for the head/neck, since the topic was biting that part. Even then, he most definitely didn't reach it nor latch on like some people are alluring to.
Last edited by Unit~NoA on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Unit~NoA wrote:
Uh.. You know, the ones he missed. A lot Yeah. Like the first one where he was kicked back. Or the second one where he actually took a chunk out of FakeGodzilla's disguise.

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Uh.. You know, the ones he missed. A lot Yeah. Like the first one where he was kicked back. Or the second one where he actually took a chunk out of FakeGodzilla's disguise.
Don't make it sound like Angurius was immediately countered with a kick. He missed his mark lunging in front of him within that second and then got kicked. And that chunk from the disguise is still a far cry of being impressive (since it's nothing but easily fallible covering) and, again, isn't from his neck.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Unit~NoA wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Uh.. You know, the ones he missed. A lot Yeah. Like the first one where he was kicked back. Or the second one where he actually took a chunk out of FakeGodzilla's disguise.
Don't make it sound like Angurius was immediately countered with a kick. He missed his mark lunging in front of him within that second and then got kicked. And that chunk from the disguise is still a far cry of being impressive (since it's nothing but easily fallible covering) and, again, isn't from his neck.
I dunno, according to the info books, Fake Godzilla's skin is as tough as Godzilla's real skin. :?

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

LamangoKaijura wrote:I dunno, according to the info books, Fake Godzilla's skin is as tough as Godzilla's real skin. :?
Well in that case I must concede with you. It would be hypocritical of me to reject such info when I validate monsters from a particular Millennium film using info books in the future. ;)

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Yeah, cause that's how Anguirus works, IR. 1974, Fake Godzilla is literally judo chopping Anguirus' neck with no problem, yet Anguirus kept skreeonking going until he kicked Anguirus away.
Uh, okay? It doesn't matter if Anguirus "just keeps going" when he doesn't actually do anything with it. Also, judo chopping is entirely different from grabbing and holding. If Anguirus' neck is being gripped in Gwangi's jaws, then he's not going to be able to bite Gwangi. Period.
1972, Ghidorah lands on Anguirus, who then proceeds to bite Ghidorah's neck.
"B-B-BUT STOCK FOOTAGE"
Feck off.
no u
So how about this, IR, Anguirus gets behind Gwangi, bites his tail, doesn't let go. Gwangi can't exactly reach his tail easily.
Yes, because Gwangi is just going to stand there and allow that to happen. And quite frankly, given how flexible Gwangi's tail is, even if Anguirus does somehow manage to outflank him and successfully latch on to his tail, guess what? Anguirus' hindquarters will still be within biting range.
Or he could attempt what he did with Fake Godzilla, rearing up and lunging. Like the 55 Anguirus before him.
Which will accomplish... what, exactly?
Speaking of, wasn't Godzilla's neck to thick to bite, but Anguirus managed to? Both are the same species, both have the same length of mouth/jaw. But nooo, just because Clay-a-saurous Rex is in the match yer biased.
First of all, no, Gwangi's neck is easily thicker than GRA Godzilla's. Secondly, even if Anguirus does bite his neck, so what? It didn't accomplish anything against Godzilla, what makes you think it would against Gwangi? Thirdly, just because the two Anguirus are the same species doesn't necessarily mean they're interchangeable. Their fighting styles are unquestionably VASTLY different, and their strength and durability seem significantly different as well. And it's really probably not wise to keep insisting on using GRA Anguirus as reference in this particular match, considering how Godzilla killed him.
LamangoKaijura wrote:I dunno, according to the info books, Fake Godzilla's skin is as tough as Godzilla's real skin. :?
Regardless of what the books say, that is very clearly NOT the case in the movie. Godzilla tore a large chunk of it off just by punching Fake Godzilla.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Uh, okay? It doesn't matter if Anguirus "just keeps going" when he doesn't actually do anything with it. Also, judo chopping is entirely different from grabbing and holding. If Anguirus' neck is being gripped in Gwangi's jaws, then he's not going to be able to bite Gwangi. Period.
And how is Gwangi going to bite Anguirus' fat neck, IR.
Regardless of what the books say, that is very clearly NOT the case in the movie. Godzilla tore a large chunk of it off just by punching Fake Godzilla.
If you call rearing back, and using his elbow three times punching, sure.
As for the Lunging, Gwangi NEVER fought something that lunged at him. He was always the aggressor. Anguirus will charge and lunge at him, attempting to bite and hold on with the same jaw strength that he used on Ghidorah in 68 and 72.
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

LamangoKaijura wrote:And how is Gwangi going to bite Anguirus' fat neck, IR.
>Anguirus' neck
>fat

Yeah no. Gwangi showed on multiple occasions that he could attain a very solid grip on appendages much larger in circumference than Anguirus' neck.
If you call rearing back, and using his elbow three times punching, sure.
Except that's not what happened at all. He literally just swung his arm and struck MG once with his forearm and a massive chunk of fake skin tore off. At least 3x larger than what Anguirus tore off with his grazing jump.
As for the Lunging, Gwangi NEVER fought something that lunged at him. He was always the aggressor. Anguirus will charge and lunge at him, attempting to bite and hold on with the same jaw strength that he used on Ghidorah in 68 and 72.
I fail to see what Gwangi never fighting something that lunged at him has to do with anything. Are you suggesting that he'll panic or something? Because that's absurd. If a charging elephant that's larger than himself didn't faze him, then nothing Anguirus does will either.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Except that's not what happened at all.
Except it is, IR.
If a charging elephant that's larger than himself didn't faze him, then nothing Anguirus does will either.
Ymir must be a god then, cause he pounced that elephant!
>Anguirus' neck
>fat

Yeah no. Gwangi showed on multiple occasions that he could attain a very solid grip on appendages much larger in circumference than Anguirus' neck.
Fatter then Gwangi's.
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.