Showa Era Toho Earth vs The Separatist Fleet

For the discussion of all fantasy matches, Toho or otherwise. To post, you must join the FM Usergroup.
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Showa Era Toho Earth vs The Separatist Fleet

Post by Ivo-goji »

All the nations of Earth in Toho's Showa era films

Vs

The Confederacy of Independent System's Coroscant blockade fleet from Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

Motivation: The Separatists' goal is to destroy Earth's major cities (New York, Moscow, Tokyo, Paris, London, Beijing) and force the Earth to surrender. The EDF's goal is to take out the Invisible Hand and its compliment, making the Separatists retreat.
Preparation: Earth has five years to prepare.
Equipment: Earth has access to every weapon and technology introduced in Toho movies between 1954 and 1977, including one off inventions like the Oxygen Destroyer, but no alien technology besides the mind control used in DAM, no help from Zone Fighter, and no ESPers/telepaths. They also have control over every kaiju on Earth, including Hedorah and Megalon (Seatopia is also fighting against the invaders here). Earth can also mass produce any weapons available to them (i.e. the Gotengo, the Moonlight SY-3) within the allotted prep time.
The Separatists have all the materials and personnel they used to attack Coruscant.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Showa Era Toho Earth vs The Separatist Fleet

Post by Zarm »

I kinda feel like the ray and particle shields available in the Star Wars universe might be impervious to anything showa Earth has to throw at them, ceding immediate victory. Plus, much as I think the Seps are pathetic (seriously, how were the clones challenged by those idiotic battle-droids for three years, even if they outnumbered them a million to one?), the tri-fighters and droids starfighters have a major maneuverability on any of Earth's ships even if we assumed ships like the Gotengo and some of Earth's rockets could penetrate the shields of various ships.

The only chance I can see for showa Earth is to mind-control King Ghidorah and hope those gravity bolts can breach ray shields (or at the very least, take out the starfighters en masse). If that were the case, allowing a generous list of Earth kaiju being able to take the battle into space (Gigan, Megalon, Jet Jaguar, Hedorah come to mind), plus a fleet of Gotengos and other spacecraft whose armaments can make it through Sepratist shields, I could see them maybe having a chance.

But overall, the technological advantages seem to make this one-sided in Sepratist favor, and the maneuverability and fire-rate of their ships seem to put the odds in their favor even if the technology isn't as overwhelming as I suppose it might be.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

What about the Gohten's Ether Bomb?
Or their planet moving rockets?
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I could see the ether bomb being powerful enough to destroy the fleet if it had a range effect (rather than starting a chain reaction in a single contiguous object); the trick is the Ghoten survivng long enough to build it up.

The planet-moving rockets could, I suppose, be turned into suicide bombs that, if they didn't detonate effectively enough to breach shields, could at least knock ships into each-other like the hammerhead corvettes. I just don't see them having the offensive potential to turn the tide.

The real trick is that the Sep force is made up of a bunch of tiny, fast-moving targets. Amalgamate them all, like a Super Star Destroyer or even an Eclipse-class from the EU, and it might be a different story. But the trick against a fleet is catching, hitting, and punching through the shields of each target individually, while nimble fighters swarm and blast at everything you send up, most of which is too ponderous to evade effectively. (I mean, even at their best, Gigan and Rodan and some of the more maneuverable objects of the Toho-verse can't pull the kind of aerial acrobatics it took Obi-wan and Anakin to evade the fire which took out some of their fairly-nimble backup ARCs.)

Of course, this is all just one guy's opinion. I could easily be wrong.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

What's stopping the Separatists from deploying General Grievous to slaughter the EDF leadership? No amount of security in the world would be able to stop him from assassinating them all and cutting the head off of the EDF. His cybernetic components are more than durable enough to withstand any small-arms weapons available at the time, and the only way to defeat him or even remotely harm him is by exposing his internal organs (whick took a force user augmenting their strength to pry his chest plates open) or dismembering him with a Lightsaber.
Last edited by Breakdown on Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Zarm wrote:quote
The Earth has its own Space Fighter craft they've deployed in similar circumstances in the past, though the CIS undoubtedly has the edge in numbers and ship design.

Using the world rockets as guided missiles to simply pulverize the Separatist vessels as you suggest could potentially be quite effective, depending on what Star Wars sheilds are capable of putting up with (however using Legends canon it's probably a lot).

On the other hand, since they have a planet destroying bomb and rockets that can move planets, Earth could also attempt to use a planet as a bomb. A smaller object such as Ceres could be outfitted with the world rockets, directed towards the Separatist fleet, and set up with the Ether Bomb to detonate at closest proximity to the flagship.

Or they could just use it as a giant battering ram.
Breakdown wrote:What's stopping the Separatists from deploying General Grievous to slaughter the EDF leadership?
I can think of several things.
Resized Image

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Breakdown wrote:His cybernetic components are more than durable enough to withstand any small-arms weapons available at the time,
Gonna need some sauce on this, senpai. It's admittedly been a while since I've watched anything Grievous appeared in, but I don't recall him displaying anything that would suggest he's bulletproof.
Last edited by Inferno Rodan on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Honestly, nothing in his stats suggests a first-level Padawan shouldn't just be able to force levitate him and hold him in place while a Clone battalion uses him for target-practice. But somehow, his informed attributes trump his actual stats by a wide margin.

Maranatha!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Zarm wrote:Honestly, nothing in his stats suggests a first-level Padawan shouldn't just be able to force levitate him and hold him in place while a Clone battalion uses him for target-practice. But somehow, his informed attributes trump his actual stats by a wide margin.
Are you just talking about the movie appearance? Because in most of the cartoons and other extended media he's actually a threat usually, especially in the old Clone Wars cartoon where we see him defeat several Jedi on-screen. Also it's actually rather exhausting and time-consuming for Jedi to force lift things, which is why they don't usually do it in combat. I think that's what it is, Star Wars is confusing sometimes about these kinds of things.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:
Zarm wrote:Honestly, nothing in his stats suggests a first-level Padawan shouldn't just be able to force levitate him and hold him in place while a Clone battalion uses him for target-practice. But somehow, his informed attributes trump his actual stats by a wide margin.
Are you just talking about the movie appearance? Because in most of the cartoons and other extended media he's actually a threat usually, especially in the old Clone Wars cartoon where we see him defeat several Jedi on-screen. Also it's actually rather exhausting and time-consuming for Jedi to force lift things, which is why they don't usually do it in combat. I think that's what it is, Star Wars is confusing sometimes about these kinds of things.
No, what I mean is, I'm aware that he's a threat in numerous media, especially both versions of the Clone Wars cartoon. I just don't see any justification for him being any kind of a challenge to the Jedi since he ought to be completely vulnerable to force powers and could be pushed around, held in place, his machine limbs snapped, Etc. He should be just as helpless as the battle droids are before the Jedi (for that matter, the super battle droids ought not to be that much more of a difference than the regular ones. If the prequel Jedi weren't pathetic shams compared to real Jedi, of course.) But even with their rather paltry usage of their powers and the pathetic reimagining of them as category-based superhero powers that are always active, I can't see any particular reason that Grievous is actually able to defeat Jedi. He ought to be stoppable from a distance. He ought to be shootable. He ought to be in immobilizable and, again, could be held up from fifty feet away before he ever gets into combat range (in the Purge comic, Vader does this even to a fellow Jedi mid-combat).

But for some reason, inexplicably, he's a match for people whose agility and reflexes are augmented by the force and have telekinetic control of their environment and their opponents. There's just never been a satisfactory explanation for why he was a challenge.

Maranatha!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Zarm wrote: But for some reason, inexplicably, he's a match for people whose agility and reflexes are augmented by the force and have telekinetic control of their environment and their opponents. There's just never been a satisfactory explanation for why he was a challenge.
The reason is that he looks cool and sells merchandise, and the people who write with him aren't good writers, therefore screw intelligent writing because money. Internal consistency and logic, what's that, we've got to churn out more appearances where this character is a badass, even if reasonably the Jedi could dismantle him with no effort, it's not like anyone will complain. And I doubt we'll ever get an actual explanation as for why he's a threat, minus the Jedi being dipshits.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:
Zarm wrote: But for some reason, inexplicably, he's a match for people whose agility and reflexes are augmented by the force and have telekinetic control of their environment and their opponents. There's just never been a satisfactory explanation for why he was a challenge.
The reason is that he looks cool and sells merchandise, and the people who write with him aren't good writers, therefore screw intelligent writing because money. Internal consistency and logic, what's that, we've got to churn out more appearances where this character is a badass, even if reasonably the Jedi could dismantle him with no effort, it's not like anyone will complain. And I doubt we'll ever get an actual explanation as for why he's a threat, minus the Jedi being dipshits.
That sounds... exactly spot-on to me. :) (But of course, I'm also annoyed that, being an established Jedi-killer badass, Star Wars' #1 Mary Sue Ahsoka Tano can take him on one-on-one as a padawan and survive. It's the double standard; either have him be a Jedi-killer and consistently kill Jedi, OR make him a guy with some lightsabers that a Padawan can beat... but don't have him inexplicably killing Jedi Masters but survivable by the junior-partner, still-in-training main character of the animated series. Sheesh...)

Maranatha!