Iris vs Gigan (Showa) and Megalon

For the discussion of all fantasy matches, Toho or otherwise. To post, you must join the FM Usergroup.
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Iris vs Gigan (Showa) and Megalon

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

http://www.tohokingdom.com/kaiju/iris.htm#i
Vs.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/kaiju/gigan_showa.htm
http://www.tohokingdom.com/kaiju/megalon.htm
Rules: Scaled.
Verdict: I'm leaning Iris. Gigan and Megalon are strong and make for a good combo, but Iris has taken much worse than either has been shown being capable of dishing out. Iris does have the issue of waiting for its opponents to attack first, which could cost it, but when Iris retaliates, it retaliates hard.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Breakdown
Keizer

Re: Iris vs Gigan (Showa) and Megalon

Post by Breakdown »

At first I read that as Iris vs Gigan and Megatron. I think regardless of the incarnation, Megatron would stomp by himself :lol:

Anyway I'm inclined to go for Gigan and Megalon. When being directed by someone else, Megalon is an extremely dangerous adversary with his spam of napalm bombs. Iris isn't really that aggressive of an attacker up-close as you mentioned, which could cost him/her/it severely if Gigan decides he wants to carve the hentai monster up with his assortment of pointy bodily objects.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Iris loses badly. Ontop of being a fragile Gamera kaiju, he is incredibly passive and prefers to react than going first, which is going to screw him over because once Gigan and Megalon begin battering him around, he's gone.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Giratina93 wrote:Iris loses badly. Ontop of being a fragile Gamera kaiju, he is incredibly passive and prefers to react than going first, which is going to screw him over because once Gigan and Megalon begin battering him around, he's gone.
How is Iris fragile? Gamera buzzsawed into him at top speed in midair, and Iris didn't seem to be damaged by it at all. I don't remember him being injured by military weaponry either.
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:
Giratina93 wrote:Iris loses badly. Ontop of being a fragile Gamera kaiju, he is incredibly passive and prefers to react than going first, which is going to screw him over because once Gigan and Megalon begin battering him around, he's gone.
How is Iris fragile? Gamera buzzsawed into him at top speed in midair, and Iris didn't seem to be damaged by it at all. I don't remember him being injured by military weaponry either.
...have we seen Gamera's shell do damage to anything else? Slice apart anything else? No? Just Iris, who got ripped into by a punch to the stomach? I'd like to see some evidence that Gamera's shell is particuarly sharp, or his jets are particularly hot because otherwise, I'm more inclined to think Iris is frail and Gamera's shell and jets are even more pathetic than Iris being durable.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Giratina93 wrote:
...have we seen Gamera's shell do damage to anything else? Slice apart anything else? No? Just Iris, who got ripped into by a punch to the stomach? I'd like to see some evidence that Gamera's shell is particuarly sharp, or his jets are particularly hot because otherwise, I'm more inclined to think Iris is frail and Gamera's shell and jets are even more pathetic than Iris being durable.
Resfresh my memory, are you talking about the fire punch, or was there a punch before that?
KWCE Administrator

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Giratina93 wrote:
...have we seen Gamera's shell do damage to anything else? Slice apart anything else? No? Just Iris, who got ripped into by a punch to the stomach?
Through the same opening that absorbed Anya right through it just moments before. The rest of his body is certainly more durable than that, and it'd be foolish to think otherwise. His tentacles were capable of outright deflecting the plasma balls without any damage.
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Resfresh my memory, are you talking about the fire punch, or was there a punch before that?
After Irys's orange chest orb thingy opens up and absorbs Anya, Gamera sticks his hand through its membrane to save her.

For some stupid reason some people think Irys' entire body must be like that.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

Giratina93 wrote: ...have we seen Gamera's shell do damage to anything else? Slice apart anything else? No? Just Iris, who got ripped into by a punch to the stomach? I'd like to see some evidence that Gamera's shell is particuarly sharp, or his jets are particularly hot because otherwise, I'm more inclined to think Iris is frail and Gamera's shell and jets are even more pathetic than Iris being durable.
G3 Gamera's shell is composed of hardened, overlapping plates who's ends are pointed. We don't need evidence of Gamera's shell cutting anything because, by definition, it exemplifies the word "sharpened" based on its design alone. The fact that Irys was not damaged in the slightest by a razor-edged object (a.k.a Gamera's shell) rapidly rotating into his body is impressive, and it certainly proves that you're not giving his durability the credit it deserves.
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Through the same opening that absorbed Anya right through it just moments before. The rest of his body is certainly more durable than that, and it'd be foolish to think otherwise.
Not to mention the fact that Gamera has phenomenally powerful arm strength. Yeah, that scene is anything but proof that Irys is frail.

The Mutated Gyaos will have minimal trouble killing Gigan and Megalon, and lasting long enough to do so. The same cannot be said for the Showa Duo. Irys wins.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Resfresh my memory, are you talking about the fire punch, or was there a punch before that?
After Irys's orange chest orb thingy opens up and absorbs Anya, Gamera sticks his hand through its membrane to save her.

Ok, thanks. I'm assuming you're voting Iris for the victory?
KWCE Administrator

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

Ok, thanks. I'm assuming you're voting Iris for the victory?
Hmm... I'm actually think this is 50/50.

Irys is more powerful than either Gigan and Megalon, and with his sonic cutters and life-draining spears he's more than capable of killing them quite easily.

But he rarely uses those sonic cutters, or the long range of his tentacles. And his melee abilities don't seem too impressive. Gigan and Megalon coould outmanuver him if they play this smart and target the chest. I imagine a naplam bomb though that orb of Irys' wouldn't be healthy.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

...Either Gigan or Megalon would win this alone. Iris is a complete moron on the ground that barely even fights, and Gigan trumps him in the sky anyway.

Fight goes like this:
Iris stares menacingly at the duo.
Gigan and/or Megalon waltzes up to him and whacks him upside the head.
Iris, stunned that's he's up against opponents that actually fight instead of partaking in glorified shoving and staring contests with him, gets the shit beat out of him and dies.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Inferno Rodan wrote:...Either Gigan or Megalon would win this alone. Iris is a complete moron on the ground that barely even fights, and Gigan trumps him in the sky anyway.

Fight goes like this:
Iris stares menacingly at the duo.
Gigan and/or Megalon waltzes up to him and whacks him upside the head.
Iris, stunned that's he's up against opponents that actually fight instead of partaking in glorified shoving and staring contests with him, gets the shit beat out of him and dies.
Forgot 'Iris gets ONE good shot off, causing Gigan to retreat, as he does'.

But yeah, Iris is fucked.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

Who's smarter: Iris or Megalon? I'm honestly undecided.

Giratina93 wrote:I'd like to see some evidence that Gamera's shell is particuarly sharp, or his jets are particularly hot because otherwise, I'm more inclined to think Iris is frail and Gamera's shell and jets are even more pathetic than Iris being durable.
It's fair to ask for some evidence, so I won't fault you on that. Though a far better question would be: has Gamera's shell ever cut through anything of worth? We know Gamera's shell is sharp just by looking at it. As for Gamera's jets, I've long maintained that if the heat from Gamera's jets were enough to make Legion jump back, then the jets themselves would have to be hot. Though Inferno Rodan has an alternative explanation, which I'm sure he'll be kind enough to share. ;)

Why are you more inclined to think Iris is frail? What evidence compels you to declare Gamera's shell and jets to be pathetic? As others have pointed out, Gamera's claw penetrated Iris's gut because it had recently opened up to absorb Ayana, making it vulnerable. Even if this wasn't the case, there's no shame in being injured by Gamera, as his physical strength is obnoxiously high. It's fair to point out that during their dogfight, Gamera, while flying at high speeds, bit into Iris's neck and inflicted no damage.

Iris, despite being an idiot that makes Megalon look gifted, is very strong and powerful. None of the Showa duo have the power to kill or incapacitate him from the onset. Iris doesn't start fights, but he's most certainly capable of ending them. Iris overpowered Gamera with contemptuous ease.

With that said, Iris's seldom use of his Sonic Beams is the main reason why I'm undecided. Iris didn't even think about using projectiles until after Gamera gutted him. Megalon and Gigan, at least as a team, fight competently. By the time Iris thinks to use his Sonic Beams, it might already been too late.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Tomzilla wrote:Who's smarter: Iris or Megalon? I'm honestly undecided.
Megalon, if only because he at least tries. His plans may be dopey as hell and on par with what a 5-year-old child would come up with, but at least he has the ideas in the first place. :P

Iris is probably better at pleasuring Japanese schoolgirls, though. Tentacle monsters have a natural aptitude for that, after all.
As for Gamera's jets, I've long maintained that if the heat from Gamera's jets were enough to make Legion jump back, then the jets themselves would have to be hot. Though Inferno Rodan has an alternative explanation, which I'm sure he'll be kind enough to share. ;)
I thought you conceded that in our last discussion on the subject?
Why are you more inclined to think Iris is frail? What evidence compels you to declare Gamera's shell and jets to be pathetic? As others have pointed out, Gamera's claw penetrated Iris's gut because it had recently opened up to absorb Ayana, making it vulnerable. Even if this wasn't the case, there's no shame in being injured by Gamera, as his physical strength is obnoxiously high.
Iris's entire body was completely annihilated by the equivalent of two of Gamera's fireballs passing through it, leaving nothing but some tentacles and his head behind. They didn't even actually explode inside him, for Gwangi's sake.
It's fair to point out that during their dogfight, Gamera, while flying at high speeds, bit into Iris's neck and inflicted no damage.
We saw chunks flying from that impact. If you don't think that caused any damage, then you cannot think Iris's Sonic Cutters caused any damage to Gamera either if you want to maintain logical consistency (both attacks caused visual indications of damage when they happened, but neither had any damage afterward).
Iris, despite being an idiot that makes Megalon look gifted, is very strong and powerful. None of the Showa duo have the power to kill or incapacitate him from the onset. Iris doesn't start fights, but he's most certainly capable of ending them. Iris overpowered Gamera with contemptuous ease.
His glare is super menacing, too. Don't forget that.

...Duuuude. Imagine the staring contest Iris and Jet Jaguar could have. Now THAT would be a battle for the ages!
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

You guys are cracking me up. :D This is going in my signature...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

Inferno Rodan wrote:I thought you conceded that in our last discussion on the subject?
Oh? I only recall conceding the 'Legion's durable enough to survive atmospheric reentry' argument.
Iris's entire body was completely annihilated by the equivalent of two of Gamera's fireballs passing through it, leaving nothing but some tentacles and his head behind. They didn't even actually explode inside him, for Gwangi's sake.
Given our previous discussions on the subject, I highly doubt we're going to agree on this. I think Gamera's fireballs are extremely hot; Gamera's Plasma Fist is no different. Being blown up from the inside by the equivalent of not one but two fireballs is nothing to be ashamed of.
We saw chunks flying from that impact. If you don't think that caused any damage, then you cannot think Iris's Sonic Cutters caused any damage to Gamera either if you want to maintain logical consistency (both attacks caused visual indications of damage when they happened, but neither had any damage afterward).
I don't think Gamera's bite caused any damage in the same way I don't think the Garuda wounded Fire Rodan, even though we clearly saw burn marks etched on Rodan's body.
His glare is super menacing, too. Don't forget that.

...Duuuude. Imagine the staring contest Iris and Jet Jaguar could have. Now THAT would be a battle for the ages!
Even better:

Shin Godzilla vs. Iris

What a boring ass fight that would make. :shock:
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Tomzilla wrote: Given our previous discussions on the subject, I highly doubt we're going to agree on this. I think Gamera's fireballs are extremely hot; Gamera's Plasma Fist is no different. Being blown up from the inside by the equivalent of not one but two fireballs is nothing to be ashamed of.
Depends on who's arguing what side of which monster. If you're Orga, being blown up from inside is clearly a cause for shame. If you're Shin Godzilla, NOT being clown up from the inside by a massive fireball doesn't mean much. If you're Godzilla '75, internal explosions don't mean anything, whereas if you're King Caesar, they represent a crucial weakness (until they don't). Internal explosion standards in the FMs are extremely inconsistent. :)

(Personally, I would agree with your statement; Iris is stronger than she's often given credit for).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Tomzilla wrote:Oh? I only recall conceding the 'Legion's durable enough to survive atmospheric reentry' argument.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1287456

"I’m going to retract my stance on this particular debate. It just occurred to me that the smoke Gamera’s thrusters emitted were never consistently presented as a threat. In G1 and G3, people were exposed to the smoke, and appeared – at best – disorientated. So I don’t think Gamera’s thruster smoke played a role in forcing Legion back at all.

I still maintain my original stance that Gamera’s thrusters weren’t responsible for pushing Legion back. I do, however, think the heat from Gamera’s thrusters made Legion jump back. But it’s entirely possible Legion might’ve been startled, and my evidence isn’t conclusive. So your mileage may vary on this specific topic."

I guess my memory was a bit off. You conceded it and then two sentences later went back to saying what you'd been saying all along, apparently...
Given our previous discussions on the subject, I highly doubt we're going to agree on this. I think Gamera's fireballs are extremely hot; Gamera's Plasma Fist is no different. Being blown up from the inside by the equivalent of not one but two fireballs is nothing to be ashamed of.
Uh. Okay, so, do you think the Plasma Fist detonated inside Iris or not? Because for years prior to this you've been saying it went through him and blew up well outside the building.
I don't think Gamera's bite caused any damage in the same way I don't think the Garuda wounded Fire Rodan, even though we clearly saw burn marks etched on Rodan's body.
So... You've changed your long-held stance on Iris's Sonic Cutters and now agree that they didn't do anything to Gamera, then?
Even better:

Shin Godzilla vs. Iris

What a boring ass fight that would make. :shock: