The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by gottatalktothefake »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:
What I do find funny is that in certain places of the internet there has been a JP3 defense force emerging.
Wait
That movie has things that can be defended?
I liked the aviary sequence, but that's it really
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

xolta
GPN Volunteer

Post by xolta »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I really love JW but I detest JWFK. I’d rank it down there with JP3.

What I do find funny is that in certain places of the internet there has been a JP3 defense force emerging.
Jw and Jwfk are both big stupid b movies that are a lot of good fun and I love them for that. Frankly its nice to see blue sorta become a action hero in her own right. Hopefully they go full magically dumb and just give us the dinosaurs in the army they been teasing us with.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gojira18 wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Because at this point, the JP has taken a massive turn for the worse. I'd like to see some non-JP dinosaur movies.

While I agree that I would like to see more Non-JP Dinosaur movies come to the big screen and actually be good. (Dino-Riders looking at you) but it's rare any studio will invest the kind of budget in a non-recognizable IP.

An Jurassic park had no where else to go honestly, so I enjoy the direction they have gone. Fallen Kingdom had it's issues, but I am fine on where the film ended.
They could've left it at JP3. Now it's just getting dumber and dumber.
Eh, I'd rather they risk running a franchise into the ground and at least getting some fun dino scenes out of it than just leaving it. Leaving a franchise just feels kind of wasteful. Yeah they could have left it at three, but then those of us who enjoyed the new movies would have less JP movies to enjoy. I'd rather JP go the direct to video films route like the Tremors series than have it just die off for a couple decades.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Because at this point, the JP has taken a massive turn for the worse. I'd like to see some non-JP dinosaur movies.

While I agree that I would like to see more Non-JP Dinosaur movies come to the big screen and actually be good. (Dino-Riders looking at you) but it's rare any studio will invest the kind of budget in a non-recognizable IP.

An Jurassic park had no where else to go honestly, so I enjoy the direction they have gone. Fallen Kingdom had it's issues, but I am fine on where the film ended.
I'd still like to know how they plan to explain how the dinosaurs don't get wiped out by the National Guard within 6 months of escaping. I'm sorry, but simply believing that mankind is incapable of wiping out the dinosaurs is laughable. Even more so considering he man wipes out animals with ease.

https://www.seeker.com/humans-caused-32 ... 50883.html

https://www.ecowatch.com/extinction-evo ... 26936.html

Gojira18 wrote:They could've left it at JP3. Now it's just getting dumber and dumber.
No. It should have ended with TLW. JP3 was mainly made for the sake of a JP trilogy and it clearly shows.

Gojira18 wrote:
keizerkaiju wrote:Eh, nothing's worse than JP3 IMO, let alone dumber (it's like everyone forgot about the phone in dinosaur poop, the raptor whistle, Grant's dream..."ALAN!"...I could go on all day). The World movies aren't perfect but I've enjoyed them quite a lot.
Fallen Kingdom makes JP3 look like a Masterpiece. Say what you want about "Alan", but the dumbass characters and choices in FK blow JP3 out of the water.
JP3 at least has a mostly solid 3rd act. JW:FK has nothing.
Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-5)

Post by JAGzilla »

I love the Prequels, personally, but I fully admit that nostalgia is a massive part of that, and will acknowledge their flaws all day. One thing I definitely feel like they have over the Sequels, though, is a sense of sincerity and actual Star Wars-ishness. They don't feel like artificial assembly line products.

I need to see JWFK again before I can really judge it, but I feel like the hate is probably exaggerated a bit. What's supposed to be wrong with the auction sequence, for example? I think that is absolutely something that could happen were a supply of hard-to-obtain cloned dinosaurs to suddenly materialize under the authorities' nose. Look how big an issue trafficking of familiar, everyday modern animals is, you know?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

The problem people have with the auction is actual dinosaurs, the last of their kind, go for about a million each, which is chump change in perspective with the scale of the operation, how much stuff usually costs in auctions like this, and other stuff.

I have my reasons why they did it but it is still kinda stupid

RIP Evan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Low prices is sort of a minor complaint, though, isn't it? That could easily be chalked up to the morons running the auction being, well, morons.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Tbh the "Dinosaurs will leave the island and repopulate the world" twist was something that I already suspected would happen from the moment JW was announced.

Althought it is pretty stupid that is somehow considered an apocalyptic event.
We're very good at killing animals even unintentionally.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, it has to be remembered that several dinosaurs were taken by the sketchy rich people, too, so who knows what could come of that. In the short term, thirty or so dinosaurs running around California is no apocalypse, obviously. But in the long term, real problems could theoretically come from the sudden semi-public availability of dinosaur DNA. We'll just have to see how JW3 plays it.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

JAGzilla wrote:Low prices is sort of a minor complaint, though, isn't it? That could easily be chalked up to the morons running the auction being, well, morons.
yeah, totally. Like a lot of the problems people have with FK, I understand why people dont like it but it doesn't bother me

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JAGzilla wrote:I love the Prequels, personally, but I fully admit that nostalgia is a massive part of that, and will acknowledge their flaws all day. One thing I definitely feel like they have over the Sequels, though, is a sense of sincerity and actual Star Wars-ishness. They don't feel like artificial assembly line products.
Completely agree, not one sequel feels like a SW film. Each one feels like a drained husk of an industry film with repeated concepts, weak elements, and pretty camera angles.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I think the JW films (and mind you I really enjoyed both) have a similar issue to the prequels. They have good ideas but fail in execution.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I was actually surprised by the response to JWFK. I really enjoyed it. Other than those extremely annoying side protagonists. The kid I thought had a tragic backstory, R.I.P. Isla Nublar and Brachiosaurus from JP1, the Indoraptor was wicked and intelligent which made for a pretty suspenseful 3rd act, even though we know protagonists don't die in these films anymore due to plot armor. I would've preferred a classic horror style JP, but since they've hit the FnF $$$ big leagues I doubt they'll ever go back to their roots.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Vakanai wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:

They could've left it at JP3. Now it's just getting dumber and dumber.
Eh, I'd rather they risk running a franchise into the ground and at least getting some fun dino scenes out of it than just leaving it. Leaving a franchise just feels kind of wasteful. Yeah they could have left it at three, but then those of us who enjoyed the new movies would have less JP movies to enjoy. I'd rather JP go the direct to video films route like the Tremors series than have it just die off for a couple decades.
Yeah, but they became so preoccupied about whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they SHOULD.

Added in 1 minute 1 second:
_JNavs_ wrote:I was actually surprised by the response to JWFK. I really enjoyed it. Other than those extremely annoying side protagonists. The kid I thought had a tragic backstory, R.I.P. Isla Nublar and Brachiosaurus from JP1, the Indoraptor was wicked and intelligent which made for a pretty suspenseful 3rd act, even though we know protagonists don't die in these films anymore due to plot armor. I would've preferred a classic horror style JP, but since they've hit the FnF $$$ big leagues I doubt they'll ever go back to their roots.
The "cloning kid" twist was BEYOND dumb, the Brachiosaur death shamelessly pulled a Mufasa with the damn clouds, the Indoraptor was executed POORLY, and even the main characters are dumb.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Did some glitch happen? Why is the Monsterverse beyond 2020 merged with Jurassic Park topic?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Living Corpse wrote:Did some glitch happen? Why is the Monsterverse beyond 2020 merged with Jurassic Park topic?
A staff member moved off-topic posts to this thread.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gojira18 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I was actually surprised by the response to JWFK. I really enjoyed it. Other than those extremely annoying side protagonists. The kid I thought had a tragic backstory, R.I.P. Isla Nublar and Brachiosaurus from JP1, the Indoraptor was wicked and intelligent which made for a pretty suspenseful 3rd act, even though we know protagonists don't die in these films anymore due to plot armor. I would've preferred a classic horror style JP, but since they've hit the FnF $$$ big leagues I doubt they'll ever go back to their roots.
The "cloning kid" twist was BEYOND dumb, the Brachiosaur death shamelessly pulled a Mufasa with the damn clouds, the Indoraptor was executed POORLY, and even the main characters are dumb.
Eh, it made sense in the grand scheme of things, if you can clone dinosaurs from fossils, what's stopping you from doing human testing from living specimens? The Brachiosaur death was tragic because he was consumed by smoke and fire, I don't recall him literally in the clouds looking down on Chris Pratt telling him good job :lol: . Bryce Dallas Howard can do no wrong in my eyes, celeb crush right there. Pratt is the Motorcycle Raptor pack Dino Mack. Those 2 side kids had NO business in this film though, they were beyond stupid.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
Eh, it made sense in the grand scheme of things, if you can clone dinosaurs from fossils, what's stopping you from doing human testing from living specimens? The Brachiosaur death was tragic because he was consumed by smoke and fire, I don't recall him literally in the clouds looking down on Chris Pratt telling him good job :lol: . Bryce Dallas Howard can do no wrong in my eyes, celeb crush right there. Pratt is the Motorcycle Raptor pack Dino Mack. Those 2 side kids had NO business in this film though, they were beyond stupid.
Aside from a FEW hints, the twist was out of nowhere. It was a terrible movie with terrible writing, and I'm sick of people making excuses for it because "It's JP" and dinosaurs are like dangling keys for babies.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Vakanai wrote:Eh, I'd rather they risk running a franchise into the ground and at least getting some fun dino scenes out of it than just leaving it.
The way I see it, Universal continuing to pour money and resources into a mediocre franchise rather than dedicating that same money to more unique projects is wasteful.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Did some glitch happen? Why is the Monsterverse beyond 2020 merged with Jurassic Park topic?
A staff member moved off-topic posts to this thread.
Yep, that would be me. Had way too many posts related to Jurassic Park that ended up in that thread, and totally off topic of anything relatd to the MonsterVerse.
If it bites... don't mess with it!