The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-4)

Post by cloverfan98 »

Godzillian wrote:
Tarbosaurus wrote:"She (Blue) is the last of her kind."

Yep, looks like it's confirmed Isla Sorna got nuked off-screen. What a joy. Yeah let's not make the best use of material they have, let's just burn down everything that's not first movie nostalgia and only ever use that in increasingly watered down ways.
"Let's keep an island around so we have to have redundant story lines of people going to the island only for everything to to wrong and then need to escape" nostalgia has nothing to do with it, this gives the franchise lots of creative freedom
I feel like you're both right in a way. Yes leaving Sorna behind can help the series go in new directions but it was such an important part of the series that for it to have vanish from the series is disappointing. I know its touched on in the viral marketing but it should have been mentioned in the film. Maybe we'll get some answers from the prequel novel or in Fallen Kingdom. I would mention a second island of dinosaurs if my first island was exploding and I needed to move my dinosaurs to a new place.

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

Whelp... looks like I can probably just kiss my Jurassic World allosaurids and carnotaurus good bye... as they try their best to run and have no where to go. :cry:
Hopefully that’s not their only part.
miguelnuva wrote:Just got my Indorapter figure in. Might be the best JW figure ever IMO.
I hope they do more like that. They may not be as accurate as the Beasts of the Mesozoic figures, but it would still be nice to have more articulated dinos.
This is the beginning of the end.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Great Trailer, Loved the Rex scene... Almost got heart broken when i saw Blue was shot.... Plus those people shocking the T-Rex while she is in the cage made me want to beat them senseless. I hope the T-Rex break's out and rips them to pieces.

Indoraptor def looks better then the I-Rex did, Loved the tone that it's closer to The Lost World which is my favorite. Hopefully it will be a lot darker tone esp the second half.

Don't need to see anymore footage, they already have my money and my friends even if i have to pay for them to go. So kudos Universal.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

My only problem with the supposed destruction of Sorna was that they were setting it up to be legally protected nature reserve. Unless Hammond's death somehow voided whatever deal they were making. Sorna should have been legally protected.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

miguelnuva wrote:

Yep, looks like it's confirmed Isla Sorna got nuked off-screen. What a joy. Yeah let's not make the best use of material they have, let's just burn down everything that's not first movie nostalgia and only ever use that in increasingly watered down ways.
Last I hear Isla Sorna is there but all the dinosaurs were moved to Nublar.
Yes and none of them are visible on Nublar, meaning pretty much all the stock we saw on Sorna is now pretty much dead. Otherwise Rexy and Blue wouldn't be singular entities.

Godzillian wrote:

"Let's keep an island around so we have to have redundant story lines of people going to the island only for everything to to wrong and then need to escape" nostalgia has nothing to do with it, this gives the franchise lots of creative freedom
I fear context was lost here. I wasn't saying I wanted to keep replaying the same beats the second and third movie had, rather keeping what the second and third movie created as a sort a reservoir for content to be used later. Instead of a constantly dwindling stock from Nublar.
Last edited by Tarbosaurus on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Lol the degradation from a Spielberg classic to a brainless popcorn flick...
The behind the scenes things I have seen regarding this film suggests otherwise. But, stay sucking on that nostalgia teat.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Lol the degradation from a Spielberg classic to a brainless popcorn flick...
Implying this didn't happen the second Jurassic Park 3 was released.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Extended Chinese trailer. I actually like this a lot better than the yesterday's trailer. A lot of the same footage but rejiggered and with added dialogue.

Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Dafuq is it with these snobbish reactions like this? Acting like this movie isn't "intelligent enough" for you :roll:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Jurassic Park wasn't that intelligent to begin with. Glossing over and dumbing down most of the novel's more interesting themes.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Jurassic Park wasn't that intelligent to begin with. Glossing over and dumbing down most of the novel's more interesting themes.
Well then I'd guess I'd rather be dumb and brainless and entertained for 2 hours then have a stick up my butt and nitpick everything because it's not "intelligent" :roll:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

gridiron_kaiju wrote:Well then I'd guess I'd rather be dumb and brainless and entertained for 2 hours then have a stick up my butt and nitpick everything because it's not "intelligent" :roll:
Or you could accept that not everybody has the same sensibilities as you, and some won't like the same things you do. That's no cause for you to be aggressive and condescending.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

eabaker wrote:
Or you could accept that not everybody has the same sensibilities as you, and some won't like the same things you do. That's no cause for you to be aggressive and condescending.
Frankly I don't care what anyone else likes but this acting like people are dumb for loving these kinds of movies is old. It's the snobbish attitude I can't stand.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

gridiron_kaiju wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Frankly I don't care what anyone else likes but this acting like people are dumb for loving these kinds of movies is old. It's the snobbish attitude I can't stand.
Being critical of the movies does not equate to being critical of their audience. Nobody was acting like anyone else was dumb.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

gridiron_kaiju wrote: Frankly I don't care what anyone else likes but this acting like people are dumb for loving these kinds of movies is old. It's the snobbish attitude I can't stand.
Say what?
It's the snobbish attitude I can't stand.
*reads above posts*

goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

gridiron_kaiju wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Jurassic Park wasn't that intelligent to begin with. Glossing over and dumbing down most of the novel's more interesting themes.
Well then I'd guess I'd rather be dumb and brainless and entertained for 2 hours then have a stick up my butt and nitpick everything because it's not "intelligent" :roll:
Hey I'm trying to defend Jurassic World here. :)

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

To share an odd theory I presented on TVtrope's WMG. I think the Stygimoloch might get a role bigger than it seems.

If the film's are consistent on one thing, it's that they like to often showcase and give some flair to animals we hadn't seen before or hadn't seen much of. Jurassic Park might not have been the first movie to feature Dromaeosaurids, but it codified the "raptor" into popular culture and arguably also did so with the Dilophosaurus. The Lost World didn't do this as much, but one could argue it did spotlight the Pachycephalosaurus and Procompsognathus while also giving the Tyrannosaurus a far larger role than it did in the first film, which was mostly the Raptor's movie. Jurassic Park 3 gave us the Spinosaurus and Pteranodon in prominent roles. And then Jurassic World gave some shine to the Mosasaurus and to an extent, Ankylosaurus.

Fallen Kingdom appears to be doing so for the Baryonyx and possibly Carnotaurus, but I think Stygimoloch might end up playing a decent sized role somewhere along the plot. This is because it's shown up a lot in the merchandising, arguably as much as series regulars like Rexy/Roberta and Blue. Many times it even appears opposite the Indoraptor and is the only other new dinosaur present.
https://i1.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com ... /03/jw.jpg
http://media.comicbook.com/2018/04/jura ... 03040.jpeg

Heck, going off the soda branding it even gets a nickname; Stiggy.

And the Stygimoloch has some things going for it when it comes to iconicness and marketability. It's not a carnivores so it's not likely to get mixed up with the T.rex or Raptors like the Carnotaurus or Allosaurus. It has a distinct design that sets it apart from a majority of herbivores like Triceratops. It's big, but no so huge it cannot interact with the human characters indoors for certain scenes. And it has a very distinct behavior kids can easily remember. T.rex chomps, Raptors slash, Stygi headbutts.

And yet despite being so prominent in the merchandise, the Stygimoloch is suspiciously absent in all the trailers. The last time this happened, it was when they were hiding the big T.rex vs. I.rex fight at the end of the last movie; which didn't appear in any trailers (at least in a way that gave context) until after the movie came out. We also know the Stygimoloch has some scenes on the mainland because we have seen pictures of a prop and animatronic one on various sets. So it's clearly there, but whenever it is therefore is missing from the trailers. We can even infer it probably is there consistently enough that Jack Horner actually recommended they change the script's dubbing of it to Pachycephalosaurus***. He wouldn't likely do that if it was a one off-scene or cameo. I have a theory as to why this might be so-

And in the plot of the film, possible spoilers
Spoiler:
the villains are only interested in the carnivores and very large, armed herbivores. Once again, man underestimates nature. There are a great many animals alive today people drastically underestimate on how dangerous they are. A wild boar for instance is often just written off as a pig with an attitude, but they can come through your legs like a cannonball and rip you to pieces easily. Deer, elk, cows, bison, giraffes, horses, hippos, and kangaroos are all animals like and very easily kill a human if they are so inclined, and yet many times people undersell or completely oblivious to how dangerous they are. It could be the villains do the same with the Stygimoloch and it comes to bite them in the ass, hard. Maybe it causes the outbreak on the Lockwood manor or plays a big role in it, or maybe it even fights the Indoraptor at one point. What hilarious irony it would be that the one dinosaur Lockwood's goons wrote off ends up going toe to toe with their "Most dangerous creature to ever walk the earth" and actually does some damage?

***there is a theory the two genera are actually one and the same, with Stygimoloch just being the juvenile or subadult form of Pachycephalosaurus
Last edited by Tarbosaurus on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Or Stygimoloch may have the same screen time as Ankylosaurus in Jurassic Park III.

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:Or Stygimoloch may have the same screen time as Ankylosaurus in Jurassic Park III.
Anything's possible, however I will note the Anky in JP3 lacked a physical prop, didn't show up much at all in the marketing, and didn't get saddled with a nickname. This is all just a theory I've had when I started noticing some stuff, so I could be entirely wrong. It just seems rather odd for it to line up like this.
Last edited by Tarbosaurus on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Put the squirt gun down, boy. No one wants to get hurt.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple