The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-4)

Post by Maritonic »

DaddlerTheDalek wrote:Not perfect but I had fun. :)
At the end of the day, that's all that matters.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I saw JW:FK on Friday, and I thought it was pretty average at best. The first half of the movie was good, the second half was boring. Once
Spoiler:
they got the dionosaurs off the island
, I immediately lost all interest. I also didn't care one bit for any of the new characters, Pratt and Howard once again had to carry it.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is a goddamn awesome film.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

If you have a laser sight fixed on a target, aren't you in a position to fire a bullet?

Isn't adding a dinosaur an unnecessary cog in the equation?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:If you have a laser sight fixed on a target, aren't you in a position to fire a bullet?

Now why would you fire a noisy gun when you could send in an even noisier dinosaur?
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:If you have a laser sight fixed on a target, aren't you in a position to fire a bullet?

Now why would you fire a noisy gun when you could send in an even noisier dinosaur?

I think it's canon that
Spoiler:
humans in Jurassic World can't hear anything. It's absurd the amount of commotion Owen, Claire and friends cause on the boat with no repercussions.
I thought FK is actually very well done for the most part. Some characters make incredibly stupid decisions, plus the above irksome spoiler? But I found the movie enjoyable and actually pretty intelligent.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

I loved the movie as well. Just fun to discuss points like that.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Even better question, if you point the laser at said dinosaur who kills whatever the laser is pointing at, would it kill itself?
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Favorite Jurassic Park dinosaurs

Post by tbeasley »

Thought this would be fun after Fallen Kingdom. We all love dinosaurs, right?

To make room for every dinosaur featured in the series so far I left out pterosaurs (Pteranodon, Dimorphodon), marine reptiles (Mosasaurus) and genetic hybrids (Indominus, Indoraptor), but there's 'Other' if you want to vote for them or any other species not included on the list (like the numerous dinos featured in the Jurassic World Evolution game).

I also thought it would be interesting to point out the number of major appearance each animal has had in the films so far -
- Parasaurolophus, Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus, Velociraptor have appeared in all five films
- Gallimimus, Pteranodon and Stegosaurus have appeared in four
- Brachiosaurus, Compsognathus and Ankylosaurus have three appearances
- Apatosaurus and Mosasaurus have two
- Everyone else has a single appearance

(Any corrections to this are welcome.)

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just got back from seeing Fallen Kingdom. Eh, you know... it was a stupid, mixed-bag B-movie, probably the worst of the series in a lot of ways, but I mostly had fun anyway.
Spoiler:
The first half was great buildup, I was fine with everything on the island and the Brachiosaurus scene (:cry:) was a franchise highlight. The auction and Stiggy's demolition of said were great. And... then the Indoraptor arrived. Ugh. Even setting aside the smiling scene, it was way too slasher-villain-esque to take seriously, and was never a believable threat to anyone important anyway. It was just there to fill up time and add some action. Personally, I'd have axed it completely and just let the standard dinos out to break shit and wreak havoc like they always do, but that was obviously being saved for the third movie, which I guess is okay, as long as it pays off in the end.

Really, that was kind of this whole movie's problem: it was essentially the setup for its sequel, rather than a particularly solid movie in its own right.

But again, fuck it. It was another Jurassic Park movie, I got to watch dinosaurs on the big screen for two hours, I'm happy enough. I'm content to enjoy it for what it was.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Re: Favorite Jurassic Park dinosaurs

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Brachiosaurus should have more votes because all the emotional high moments are because of that dinosaur.

Also, Dilophosaurus currently has more votes than Velociraptor. Take notes for Jurassic Park 6 Colin Trevorrow.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rexy is besty!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Tyrannosaurus Rex, can't imagine being all interested in a Jurassic Park film without one. Granted i love all the other's but if there's ever a Dinosaur's moment i look forward to in any film it's def the Rex.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

I'm tempted to say carnotaurus, as it's my favorite dinosaur overall, but for JP i'd have to say Dilo and Stigymoloch.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Brachiosaurus had a level of sheer majesty none of the others can quite touch, and were just beautifully utilized in the original movie. Their high-pitched, whale-like calls were absolutely perfect for them, and one of the most iconic sounds of the franchise.

While it feels boring to list the Rex, it really is obligatory. Rexy in her original appearance was and is a spectacular modernization of her species, and just a special effects triumph that looms large in cinematic history. And again, God what a perfect roar. Realistic or not, it is the definitive Tyrannosaurus roar, period.

Screw accuracy, the Dilophosaurus was straight-up cool.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

tbeasley wrote:Thought this would be fun after Fallen Kingdom. We all love dinosaurs, right?

To make room for every dinosaur featured in the series so far I left out pterosaurs (Pteranodon, Dimorphodon), marine reptiles (Mosasaurus) and genetic hybrids (Indominus, Indoraptor), but there's 'Other' if you want to vote for them or any other species not included on the list (like the numerous dinos featured in the Jurassic World Evolution game).

I also thought it would be interesting to point out the number of major appearance each animal has had in the films so far -
- Parasaurolophus, Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus, Velociraptor have appeared in all five films
- Gallimimus, Pteranodon and Stegosaurus have appeared in four
- Brachiosaurus, Compsognathus and Ankylosaurus have three appearances
- Apatosaurus and Mosasaurus have two
- Everyone else has a single appearance

(Any corrections to this are welcome.)
Yeah thanks to whoever had the bright idea of merging this with the main thread.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

There was no reason for it to have its own thread to begin with.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote:There was no reason for it to have its own thread to begin with.
I don't know, I'd have liked to have seen the ultimate tally on the poll. No poll in this thread.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Ah, just got back from finally seeing Fallen Kingdom. In the end, I thought it was pretty meh. Very middle of the road. Not bad, not really good either.
Spoiler:
Mostly just a set up for seeing dinosaurs all over the mainland (or at least the West coast). I loved most of the dinosaur scenes. Wish the Rex had some more screen time, however. It was great seeing two of my favorite dinosaurs displayed prominently, however. Long live the Baryonyx and Carnotaurus! And while it wasn't Rex vs. Trike, the Carno vs. Styraco fight was cool. And Stygy. OMFG, Stygy.

But on the downside...

That one kid. Yeah. Garbage. He is easily my least favorite character in the entire franchise. I just wanted him dead in EVERY SCENE once he appeared on screen.

The villains all kind of sucked. While the Jurassic franchise never had very strong, villainous human characters... These were just bad. ESPECIALLY the hunter guy and his weird tooth fetish. Speaking of Mr. Tooth Fetish, lets talk about his death. Or, more on point, the Indoraptor breaking the fourth wall. I admit, I chuckled. But was it REALLY necessary for the beast to randomly give a smile to the audience while playing dead?

I know lots of folks have been up in arms about "MUH REALISM" when it comes to the Jurassic series, but I can look past all of the dinosaur flaws. However, as soon as this once scene happened, I knew we were entering territory in which the franchise never ventured into: cartoon physics. The scene with Owen ROLLING AWAY FROM LAVA JUST A FEW INCHES AWAY FROM HIM... I didn't chuckle. I didn't find it funny. I rolled my eyes. EVERYONE knows if you're THAT close to lava, you're dead. Once this scene happened, I just couldn't take anything really serious anymore. Which is all for the better because somehow the villains managed to transport numerous GIANT DINOSAURS into California and somehow spread word they were auctioning them without any sort of authority knowing what is going on.

Where was Dilophosaurus? Like, c'mon!

Indoraptor was cool. Not as cool as the I-Rex, but whatever. I do hope he's the last hybrid and they stick to their word on that. Somehow, however, I doubt it and we'll end up seeing something like Wuu working for the government to create anti-dinosaur dinosaur hybrids to hunt down and kill the escaped saurians.

So the dinosaurs are loose on the mainland. Neat. However, I'm not as hyped up for this as everyone else. Why? Couple reasons. Almost all of them are herbivores. There's only, what? One rex, one raptor, two Allosaurs, a Carno, a Mosasaur and a Baryonyx on the loose? Hardly the recipe for the extinction of mankind unless they start crossbreeding. I guess the Pterosaurus could be a threat with what we saw from the previous films, but I just don't get as excited for that as I would if a large pack of raptors was on the move across the States. However, the brief glimpse we saw of the Mosasaur off the coast (spoiled by all the trailers...) does set up a good spinoff movie if they ever go that route.

If anything, if they end up going a JURASSIC WAR route... I want to see this:

Last edited by Demon Lord Gira on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Put most of it in spoilers for those who haven't seen the movie yet and don't wish to be spoiled.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Spoiler:
I don't think it's so much about the dinosaurs escaping into the world and more about what some of these other companies, governments, and organizations that bought dinosaurs could do with the ability to engineer dinosaurs and other creatures of their own. The dinosaurs escaping is only part of the problem.
I enjoyed the film but it kinda bothered me that a lot of people talked like it was more serious than previous films but felt oddly campy at odds with a somewhat more serious direction they were trying to take the film. It felt a little disjointed as a result. Though its something that will probably bother me less with subsequent viewings.

A couple other nitpicks.

I liked Indoraptor but he just lacked the presence and buildup of Indominus.

For several scenes with dinosaurs outside of the opening and the Indoraptor scenes there was a severe lack of dinosaur attack action the franchise is famous for.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983