The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-5)

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

Birdman wrote:Ah yes, Stegosaurus. Famous for pissing off JP fans in 2001.

Off-topic, but I adored the baby Spinosaurus in The Lost World.
Remember the sick Spinosaurus in the first Jurassic Park novel? Damn great scene, poor dino though.
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

ReiwaGodzilla wrote:

Remember the sick Spinosaurus in the first Jurassic Park novel? Damn great scene, poor dino though.
Or the scene from the second movie where Sarah Harding tries to take photos of the Spinosaurus baby, only to piss off the rest of the pack into trying to kill her. Great scene, but good old dumbass Sarah...
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

ReiwaGodzilla wrote:

That scene was great, but I prefer the Tyrannosaurus they replaced it with in the movie. Felt more intimate, you know?

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I just watched the Lost World. Not as good as the first, but not some horrible film either like some people make it out to be.

I like how it works as a proper sequel. It’s not just the same film, the setting is different enough, the structure is different enough, and there’s a lot of really tense and good moments.

Added in 1 day 20 hours 17 minutes 26 seconds:
Jurassic Park 3 wasn't bad, but it wasn't a great film. It felt like an amusement park ride, one horror to another.

Still, I thought the Special Effects were really good. The large Spinosaur prop was fantastic, and pretty much any scene it was in was genuinely horrific. I think the movie nailed the horror aspect.

A lot of people unfairly nitpick the talking raptor scene, but it's a blink and you'll miss it moment, and serves as a quick reminder how Grant is scared of raptors after firsthand experience.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've always thought the Spinosaurus animatronic was too artificial in its movements during parts of the plane attack scene. To be fair, though, Rexy had a few iffy moments in the first movie, too.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly all of the JP animatronics, cool as they look, had moments where they just didn't work right and looked a bit off. The third film especially, that Bull Rex was one its last legs, so much to the point the Spinosaurus actually chopped its head off! :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Jurassic Park 3 wasn't bad, but it wasn't a great film. It felt like an amusement park ride, one horror to another.

Still, I thought the Special Effects were really good. The large Spinosaur prop was fantastic, and pretty much any scene it was in was genuinely horrific. I think the movie nailed the horror aspect.

A lot of people unfairly nitpick the talking raptor scene, but it's a blink and you'll miss it moment, and serves as a quick reminder how Grant is scared of raptors after firsthand experience.
Honestly, my main problems with JP3 are Billy and the Kirbys.

The Kirbys are basically a gigantic example of telling, not showing. Basically almost everything about their family dynamics are "Remember that time when yadda yadda yadda". And well, their brat that managed to survive lord knows how long when trained mercenaries didn't last a day is another can of worms on his own.

And Billy, well, his arc could've worked really well. If only his actor was good...

Really, the main problem of JP3 is that almost all their cast is as charismatic and engaging as a stick. And well, compare that with the original or even TLW, and well, it's off. A lot.

JP3 is not even near my "Worst movies" list. But it's bad, definitely bad
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I don't understand why people are all of a sudden jumping to defend JP3 pretty much everywhere. Did the JP3 zoomers finally get old enough to access the internet? Or is it because JWFK is so hated? Because suddenly liking one movie because you hate another is like the people who started saying TPM and AOTC were good because the Sequel Trilogy is shit. Both things can be bad at once.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I don't understand why people are all of a sudden jumping to defend JP3 pretty much everywhere. Did the JP3 zoomers finally get old enough to access the internet? Or is it because JWFK is so hated? Because suddenly liking one movie because you hate another is like the people who started saying TPM and AOTC were good because the Sequel Trilogy is poop. Both things can be bad at once.
JP III and the prequels suffer from not necessarily being bad films but but inferior to what came before that it takes a worse movie for people to realize. I like all the JP films but I understand that JP is at the top, Lost world and JW are the next tier down and then FK and JP III are the bottom.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Some more details on the cancelled THE LOST WORLD:Jurassic Park animated series featuring mutant dinos like the Doomsday Rex, and storylines which some purists feeling like JP was riffing off the X-FILES or RESIDENT EVIL.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I don't understand why people are all of a sudden jumping to defend JP3 pretty much everywhere. Did the JP3 zoomers finally get old enough to access the internet? Or is it because JWFK is so hated? Because suddenly liking one movie because you hate another is like the people who started saying TPM and AOTC were good because the Sequel Trilogy is shit. Both things can be bad at once.
I've genuinely always liked Jurassic Park 3. As a kid I preferred it to The Lost World, now they're pretty much equal for me and I slightly prefer Jurassic World to both. Fallen Kingdom is the worst by far and the only Jurassic movie I don't like.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

JP3>TLW Fight me!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

cloverfan98 wrote:JP3>TLW Fight me!
Dems fightin words alright.

I don't think JP3 is a good film, i just think compared to other dino films out there, it certainly could've been far worse than what we actually got.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

JP3 is a needless excuse for money that's only saving grace are a decent cast, 3 good subplots and setpieces for each, and some dope dinosaur design.

It's the worst Jurassic Park film by far.

RIP Evan.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:JP3 is a needless excuse for money that's only saving grace are a decent cast, 3 good subplots and setpieces for each, and some dope dinosaur design.

Do you mean worst of the original JP trilogy or worse out of all five? Because all the pros you named for JP3 are more than can be said for Fallen Kingdom.

JP3's biggest flaw is it's anti-climactic finale. Had the original scripted ending (a battle between the Marines and the Spinosaurus) been filmed, it would probably be the second best Jurassic film after the original. Otherwise, I don't really have any gripes with JP3 that can't be applied to all of the other JP sequels. I think it is arguably the second worst Jurassic film, but it's still miles better than Fallen Kingdom.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

SoggyNoodles2016

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:JP3 is a needless excuse for money that's only saving grace are a decent cast, 3 good subplots and setpieces for each, and some dope dinosaur design.

Do you mean worst of the original JP trilogy or worse out of all five? Because all the pros you named for JP3 are more than can be said for Fallen Kingdom.

JP3's biggest flaw is it's anti-climactic finale. Had the original scripted ending (a battle between the Marines and the Spinosaurus) been filmed, it would probably be the second best Jurassic film after the original. Otherwise, I don't really have any gripes with JP3 that can't be applied to all of the other JP sequels. I think it is arguably the second worst Jurassic film, but it's still miles better than Fallen Kingdom.
Worst film in the series and by extension, the OG trilogy. Not saying it's IRREDEEMABLE though, just bad compared to the standards of the rest.

Fallen Kingdom is a godamn mess, but there's enough genuine good directing and tone (as well as KERNALS of good ideas in that bloated mess of a script) that keeps me more invested then JP3.

That ending would be...fine? I think it's a fun idea but it doesn't AUTOMATICALLY make the rest better in my opinon.
Also, just me being a pedantic nerd, but that was one of at least 7 scripted endings, not the defintive scripted one.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I don't understand why people are all of a sudden jumping to defend JP3 pretty much everywhere. Did the JP3 zoomers finally get old enough to access the internet? Or is it because JWFK is so hated? Because suddenly liking one movie because you hate another is like the people who started saying TPM and AOTC were good because the Sequel Trilogy is poop. Both things can be bad at once.
IMO the films minus the first one are all in more or less equal quality, serviceable fun and inoffensive dinosaur films. All of them are entertaining.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fallen Kingdom is a godamn mess, but there's enough genuine good directing and tone (as well as KERNALS of good ideas in that bloated mess of a script) that keeps me more invested then JP3.
I'm gonna have to disagree on "good directing and tone". Honestly, I don't know why the film was given to J.A. Bayona, a novice director who'd only helmed three films previously, none of which had a quarter the budget of a franchise blockbuster like Fallen Kingdom. He just seems like an odd choice; kind of like picking Gareth Edwards to direct Godzilla, although that turned out a lot better.

As to tone, there are scenes that work well; the Indoraptor pursuit through the mansion starts off pretty creepy, but is dragged out for too long and loses its thrill. I think the problem is Fallen Kingdom can't decide if it wants to be lighter or darker than Jurassic World, and the result is a tonally inconsistent movie that has scenes that try to be funny and scenes that try to be scary, and only a few genuine laughs and scares in its unnecessarily long runtime. Say what you will about JP3, but at least it was a brief and briskly-paced film.

Also, the late-game attempts at thematic depth and emotional weight feel unearned and, "They're living like me" is the worst line in cinema history. I would genuinely respect Fallen Kingdom a lot more if it hadn't tried to make a point in its last thirty minutes and had scrapped that intolerable insult to my ears.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:That ending would be...fine? I think it's a fun idea but it doesn't AUTOMATICALLY make the rest better in my opinon.
Also, just me being a pedantic nerd, but that was one of at least 7 scripted endings, not the defintive scripted one.
Huh, I thought that was the scripted ending that was cut last-minute during production. Guess I haven't kept up on my JP nerdiness. I used to love Jurassic Park almost as much as Godzilla but, like with Transformers, I've gravitated away from the franchise over the years.

I would like to ask, what's so horrible about Jurassic Park 3? I've never understood why it's so hated. It has a few dumb moments, sure, but The Lost World and Jurassic World do, too, and Fallen Kingdom has more than a few.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

JA Bayona "may" only have 3 films to his record, but they were all critically loved and considered REALLY good (especially the one I saw). So, it's less hiring Gareth Edwards after one good movie and picking some well known random indie director. Can't think of one.

I am with you, I hate "they're alive like me" and the weird issues. However, if you consider it from a persepctive from a WONDERFUL essay I can't find (as a Gothic horror fairy tale twist on the theme of playing God), it's really kinda smart.

JP3 is terrible to me for two reasons. 1. It has no reason to exist and it never justfies it. Every film besides 3 HAD a reason to exist besides "dinosaurs!". Exploring man playing god, building on the remains of those who played god, vaugely satirzing corporate culture, Seaworld, and how we treat films, and my aforementioned thoughts on FK. 2. Just how messy it is. Yes, it's "brisk" as people keep saying for some reason, but it moves too fast so NOTHING ever lands. It's just running, talking, running, talking, running, talking, running, talking. I don't care that it "doesn't overstay it's welcome", it just happens.

No matter how good the set pieces are or the effects or the characters, it just has no reason for me to care.

Again, this is all my opinon, but that's personally why I don't like it. Yes, TLW, FK, and JW have their flaws (I honestly argue JW is WORST then FK, but I'm not getting into that right now lol), but they have something that keeps me invested. JP3 never does.

RIP Evan.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Again, this is all my opinon, but that's personally why I don't like it. Yes, TLW, FK, and JW have their flaws (I honestly argue JW is WORST then FK, but I'm not getting into that right now lol), but they have something that keeps me invested. JP3 never does.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I think one reason I enjoyed JP3 a lot is because I really like Alan Grant. He was my favorite JP character as a kid, although I have to admit that, as a cynical adult, I've come to prefer Ian Malcolm (and The Lost World as a result of him). In fact, Fallen Kingdom's biggest sin was throwing in Jeff Goldblum for just two short scenes.