Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Destorogoji wrote:3.0 it's fine, I don't know why everyone hates it.
While I didn't HATE it, the movie as a whole feels almost pointless. It does absolutely nothing aside from serve as a really long prologue for the next movie, and ending with yet ANOTHER Impact event feels cheap as hell. It's by far the weakest of the Rebuild movies.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

3.0 is a jarring film, but I think it keeps perfectly in line with the sort of dark bait-and-switch scenarios of the orginal series (following up on where the previous film left off). I also think the film might be a blatant statement on the adverse relationship Anno has with the franchise by now - it's never been a "good" relationship, but considering the stress making the film apparently caused him, I think Anno is fighting to get out of a rut.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Rody wrote:3.0 is a jarring film, but I think it keeps perfectly in line with the sort of dark bait-and-switch scenarios of the orginal series (following up on where the previous film left off). I also think the film might be a blatant statement on the adverse relationship Anno has with the franchise by now - it's never been a "good" relationship, but considering the stress making the film apparently caused him, I think Anno is fighting to get out of a rut.
I don't disagree, but that doesn't excuse the utter lack of substance the film has.

Also, I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING Anno works on causes him stress. Working on Shin Godzilla did it, too. One has to wonder why he's even still in the business.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
Rody wrote:3.0 is a jarring film, but I think it keeps perfectly in line with the sort of dark bait-and-switch scenarios of the orginal series (following up on where the previous film left off). I also think the film might be a blatant statement on the adverse relationship Anno has with the franchise by now - it's never been a "good" relationship, but considering the stress making the film apparently caused him, I think Anno is fighting to get out of a rut.
I don't disagree, but that doesn't excuse the utter lack of substance the film has.

Also, I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING Anno works on causes him stress. Working on Shin Godzilla did it, too. One has to wonder why he's even still in the business.
I agree, Anno gets depressed on nearly every project since the first Eva which makes sense because he createsthis world with depressing things happening to all the characters.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Inferno Rodan wrote:Working on Shin Godzilla did it, too. One has to wonder why he's even still in the business.
Really? I thought Shin Godzilla was actually a stress reliever for him. At least from what I read.
Resized Image

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:
Inferno Rodan wrote:Working on Shin Godzilla did it, too. One has to wonder why he's even still in the business.
Really? I thought Shin Godzilla was actually a stress reliever for him. At least from what I read.
Same here. He straight up said, "Godzilla saved me" from the stress of Evangelion.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Yep, Godzilla is the reason he's now working on the final rebuild film.

I wonder how he's gonna explain all the plot holes. Like how was Asuka able to pilot 03 and why can Mari pilot 02?
^This post in sexually offensive.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

No, he said early on in the production of Shin that it would be stress relief to work on something other than Eva. Later on he said the pressure of working on the movie was getting to him.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Inferno Rodan wrote:No, he said early on in the production of Shin that it would be stress relief to work on something other than Eva. Later on he said the pressure of working on the movie was getting to him.
Yeah...?
Just saying Godzilla pushed him to do Eva again.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Dillyziller wrote:Yeah...?
My post was in response to Kaltes-Herzeleid and Mr. Xeno, not you.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Inferno Rodan wrote:Later on he said the pressure of working on the movie was getting to him.
Understandable really, making a movie isn't exactly easy.
Resized Image

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
Dillyziller wrote:Yeah...?
My post was in response to Kaltes-Herzeleid and Mr. Xeno, not you.
Ah, sorry. :oops:

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:
Inferno Rodan wrote:Later on he said the pressure of working on the movie was getting to him.
Understandable really, making a movie isn't exactly easy.
Yeah. I think it's never easy.
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0+1.0 has been finally announced for 2020

http://www.evangelion.co.jp/index.html
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Teaser is out:
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

(Dark humour incoming

To be honest, I'm fully expecting Anno to announce that 4.0 is almost done, and the very next day die from some random accident, and 4.0 is cancelled.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

For those of you who dislike this series, how would you guys counter other people’s defences?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I feel like the EVA designs are getting progressively worse.
Honestly, I really want 4.0 to come out just so Anno can (hopefully) un-tether himself from the franchise once and for all. He's a talented fellow, and I'd like to see him do something completely different, if possible. He managed Shin Godzilla pretty well, after all!

How to counter other defenses? ......To be honest, I don't actually know quite where I stand on the franchise. I THINK I like it, but it's been years now since I watched the original show. There definitely seemed to be a level of content later on that was presented obtusely, so I thought at the time; so it hurt the entertainment value for me, if nothing else.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Rody wrote:I feel like the EVA designs are getting progressively worse.
Honestly, I really want 4.0 to come out just so Anno can (hopefully) un-tether himself from the franchise once and for all. He's a talented fellow, and I'd like to see him do something completely different, if possible. He managed Shin Godzilla pretty well, after all!

How to counter other defenses? ......To be honest, I don't actually know quite where I stand on the franchise. I THINK I like it, but it's been years now since I watched the original show. There definitely seemed to be a level of content later on that was presented obtusely, so I thought at the time; so it hurt the entertainment value for me, if nothing else.
Almost verbatim how I feel. The new Eva from the trailer with the weird arm adjustment things looks like trash and I just want Anno to go work on things like Shin Godzilla or Giant God Warrior.

I like the Evangelion TV series, but the extremely irritating fanbase and waifu culture surrounding it has made me just not want to see anything else from the franchise. As far as I'm concerned, Eva ended with EoE.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

ManuJM1997 wrote:(Dark humour incoming

To be honest, I'm fully expecting Anno to announce that 4.0 is almost done, and the very next day die from some random accident, and 4.0 is cancelled.
Didn't his apartment once catch on fire, and he slept through it? Or was that just a meme? I dunno much about him :lol:

I've been meaning to get into this franchise, I just haven't found the time to do it.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos