Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
G-Matt
Futurian

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by G-Matt »

3000 wrote:Can anyone tell me why it's taking so goddamn long to make the 4th one? Feel like i'm going to be really disappointed once it cojmes out.
http://augustragone.blogspot.fi/2015/04 ... speak.html
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

It sounds to me like the Evangelion franchise is becoming plain unhealthy for Hideaki Anno.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Rody wrote:It sounds to me like the Evangelion franchise is becoming plain unhealthy for Hideaki Anno.
That would imply that the man has ever been in a healthy state of mind when working on the franchise. I'm not sure if he's been mentally healthy at all in the past 20 years.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The man's state of mind still makes me skeptical on how it would affect this movie.

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

LegendZilla wrote:The man's state of mind still makes me skeptical on how it would affect this movie.
For G16 or RoE4.0?

Honestly, after the way 3.0 turned out, I'm not excited at all for 4.0. Felt like they couldn't come up with anything other than:
-"Earth's screwed, lets make a ship out of Eva 1!"
-"Jailbait will get old if it's set in future? Nope, the LCL prevents that."
-"THE BEAST FORM IS NOW A CAT! AWESOME RIGHT?!"

Honestly if they had just ended the Rebuild series with 2.0, it would've been perfect.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Hotrod93 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:The man's state of mind still makes me skeptical on how it would affect this movie.
For G16 or RoE4.0?

Honestly, after the way 3.0 turned out, I'm not excited at all for 4.0. Felt like they couldn't come up with anything other than:

Honestly if they had just ended the Rebuild series with 2.0, it would've been perfect.
I am referring to how G2016 will end up, with him at the helm.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Inferno Rodan wrote:That would imply that the man has ever been in a healthy state of mind when working on the franchise. I'm not sure if he's been mentally healthy at all in the past 20 years.
Good point, but I'm under the impression that the original series was actually remedial for him; whereas I recall reading somewhere that Anno went into Rebuild with a healthier mindset, only for 3.0 to bring his depression back.

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

LegendZilla wrote:
Hotrod93 wrote:
For G16 or RoE4.0?

I am referring to how G2016 will end up, with him at the helm.
The sad thing about this, is that I have more faith in Anno with Godzilla than Gareth with Godzilla.

I love Gareth's take on Godzilla, it's honestly one of my Top 5 favorite Godzilla Films, but Anno has a certain love for Toku.
His love for Ultraman made into Eva, and for Godzilla, I can see him taking easy steps about messing with things.

Anno's major problem with working on Godzilla is likely the stress of thinking that this is "His" Godzilla and that he only has one shot to do it. He can do it, but the choices for Old or New Monster, approach, message, imagery, and etc is where it will get him.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Rody wrote:
Inferno Rodan wrote:That would imply that the man has ever been in a healthy state of mind when working on the franchise. I'm not sure if he's been mentally healthy at all in the past 20 years.
Good point, but I'm under the impression that the original series was actually remedial for him; whereas I recall reading somewhere that Anno went into Rebuild with a healthier mindset, only for 3.0 to bring his depression back.
Wait his depression is back? Good, maybe we'll get a Godzilla film that is a mind fuck/acid trip. Faith in movie restored.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I think he's recovering again, from what he said about G'16.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Apparently he said anime is dying. So after completing Godzilla (2016), he has to jump back in the ring and set the industry straight with the masterpiece that Eva 4.0
will be.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Rody wrote:I think he's recovering again, from what he said about G'16.
Didn't he first begin working on Eva in the first place back when he just freshly shed his first depression, only to re-enter when EoE came about?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Fuck! I was totally game for a mind fuck of a G film.
kamilleblu wrote:Apparently he said anime is dying.
Disney hand drawn animation sure. anime? No. :roll:

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rq2_CSO65Y

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Anime is still doing about as good as it's always been doing. The reason for its apparent decline in popularity is because the anime bubble burst in the West so it gets less exposure now.

And after seeing how 3.0 turned out, I'd be depressed too.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Yeah anime is dying out. Most of it is pandering to otakus with the whole moe blob high school stuff and $500 Blu Rays for a 26 episode series. Doesn't help that animators in Japan aren't paid much at all while doing extremely hard work in bad work conditions and animation is being outsourced more and more to China and South Korea. i'm sure there will still be some great stuff but it's becoming more and more of a niche.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

MDK wrote:Yeah anime is dying out. Most of it is pandering to otakus with the whole moe blob high school stuff and $500 Blu Rays for a 26 episode series. Doesn't help that animators in Japan aren't paid much at all while doing extremely hard work in bad work conditions and animation is being outsourced more and more to China and South Korea. i'm sure there will still be some great stuff but it's becoming more and more of a niche.
That's a lot of the reasons why I got out of Anime.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Hope so. If Toho feels otherwise, they're gonna sack him, & find another director...

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Isn't he the screenwriter, though? Higuchi is supposed to be the main director.
I'm assuming it's a done deal at this point anyway.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Since this is slightly related, are there any particular influences from Eva anyone wouldn't mind seeing in Godzilla (2016)? Something that hasn't been done in Godzilla before.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

kamilleblu wrote:Since this is slightly related, are there any particular influences from Eva anyone wouldn't mind seeing in Godzilla (2016)? Something that hasn't been done in Godzilla before.
Really weird powers that defy the laws of physics (even more so I mean).

I know one of the monsters, scuse me, "angels" was a ball in the sky but it turned out that was it's shadow and the big black shadow on the ground was it's body. So it projects it's colored shadow in the middle of the air.