Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby goji89 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:39 pm

ManuJM1997 wrote:
goji89 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato is best girl*, mostly because she's the character who (relatively) has the most of their poop together.

*: human wise, best non-human girl is obviously Ramiel.

It's Lilith you bastard.

Pfff, Rei is best girl for you?

Casual~

What's wrong with casual? Heart wants what the S2 Engine can give.
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

ManuJM1997
JXSDF Technician

Postby ManuJM1997 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:42 pm

goji89 wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:
goji89 wrote:
It's Lilith you bastard.

Pfff, Rei is best girl for you?

Casual~

What's wrong with casual? Heart wants what the S2 Engine can give.

Then choose the obvious best grill

JesstrK wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Ahhh the Godzilla vs Kong thread, my favorite place to discuss A Quiet Place

I know, right? There's like a whole page dedicated to it! I sure am glad I stumbled into the Godzilla vs Kong thread out of idle curiosity, I was beginning to think I'd never find a place to talk about A Quiet Place. Maybe they should just cancel GvK altogether so we can all go see A Quiet Place 2 and discuss that here come March 2020?

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:27 pm

^ that's skreeonking great :lol: thanks so much for that
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Well, I just finished my viewing of the series on Netflix tonight. It's been a pleasure to finally watch the show through an official channel (minor issues notwithstanding), and to revisit it for the first time since my original viewing some 7 years ago.
Despite my frustrations with the show back then, NGE still kept me fascinated for a long time; I think I can say with confidence now that I do like the show, and I appreciate a lot of what it does. Back in 2012, I was coming from a pretty naive and opinionated place about television, so I simply wasn't prepared for a lot of what the show presented. Alongside the aspects of Anno's own depression, who's influence on the show is established knowledge by now, I've seen communication described as the main theme, and I think that's apt. Yes, there are mecha and giant monsters; yes, there are sinister sci-fi mysteries and government shenanigans; but ultimately, the underlying core of this series is its cast of broken characters trying to maintain or repair themselves amidst circumstances too big for any of them. I can also appreciate how flexible the show can be - there are basically four "arcs" to the show's mood, and while that confused me before, I enjoy that variety now. NGE doesn't limit itself to one thing; it knows when and how to be serious or slightly silly.
This isn't to say I compleltely understand it yet, though; the last four episodes still drop a lot of information that's hard to follow, and the final two in particular are surprisingly dense, despite being practically spelled out. Ultimately, everything about SEELE, the Instrumentality Project, etc, had to build to something; but it was never the true focus, so the climax feels somewhat distracted. I can't fault the show too much, though; circumstances were working against GAINAX at the time, and I have no idea how the production/writing process was going at this point in the series. What sort of state was Anno himself in?
All in all, I think it's fair to say that, yes, NGE is a bit of a mess - at least at the end - but it has something earnest to say, and I respect it for that. I also owe it some gratitude, as the first-ever anime series I "officialy", fully watched. For all my confusion and frustration, I think the show did a lot to expand my boundaries and set new standards for what I look for in entertainment; and for the most part, I think that's been a very good thing.

I'll revisit Death and End of sometime soon.
Last edited by Rody on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Monster Manor”