Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Cryptid_Liker
EDF Instructor

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:28 am

Major sssspielberg! wrote:skreeonk I haven't seen this yet. I heard they call the big enemy at the end Mega Kaiju.

I remember being super disappointed by that name. Name it Thanatos or something. Anything but the name of the species/weapon type (??) with a boring adjective.

Mac Daddy MM
EDF Instructor

Postby Mac Daddy MM » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:59 am

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Major sssspielberg! wrote:skreeonk I haven't seen this yet. I heard they call the big enemy at the end Mega Kaiju.

I remember being super disappointed by that name. Name it Thanatos or something. Anything but the name of the species/weapon type (??) with a boring adjective.

How about a MAN that is... SUPER. Or a MAN that dresses like... A BAT! Or a LANTERN that is... GREEN! Or a MAN that dresses in... IRON. Or a CAPTAIN that is from... AMERICA. Or a WOMAN who acts like a... CAT! Or a MAN bitten by a radioactive... SPIDER!
Did you miss me?

Cryptid_Liker
EDF Instructor

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:03 am

Mac Daddy MM wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:

How about a MAN that is... SUPER. Or a MAN that dresses like... A BAT! Or a LANTERN that is... GREEN! Or a MAN that dresses in... IRON. Or a CAPTAIN that is from... AMERICA. Or a WOMAN who acts like a... CAT! Or a MAN bitten by a radioactive... SPIDER!

Superheroes are different from kaiju. that's because the latter is way more interesting and should be recognized more

Kaiju-King42
Xilien Halfling

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:05 am

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Mac Daddy MM wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:I remember being super disappointed by that name. Name it Thanatos or something. Anything but the name of the species/weapon type (??) with a boring adjective.

Superheroes are different from kaiju. that's because the latter is way more interesting and should be recognized more

It also just doesn't really gel with the naming convention of previous Pacific Rim monsters.
JAGzilla wrote:Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

Anguirus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Anguirus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:07 am

I hope we still recieve the anime series! Last year Netflix had two seasons ordered!
Hopefully we recieve news at this year's Comic Con!
Last edited by Anguirus on Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
EDF Instructor

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:46 pm

Anguirus wrote:I hope we still recieve the anime series! Last year Netflix had two seasons ordered!

Me, too. Judging by the plot synopsis, it seems to be focused on one of the "bootleg" Jaegers, which was IMO one of the most interesting parts of PR2.

Anguirus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Anguirus » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:20 pm

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Anguirus wrote:I hope we still recieve the anime series! Last year Netflix had two seasons ordered!

Me, too. Judging by the plot synopsis, it seems to be focused on one of the "bootleg" Jaegers, which was IMO one of the most interesting parts of PR2.

Ahhh! Seems like no news from Comic Con. :(

gottatalktothefake
EDF Instructor

Postby gottatalktothefake » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:41 am

I think it’s dead Jim
Legit, every KoTM hater I have ever seen on social media or interacted with are all the same. They are either these young kids to middle aged adults so detached from anything beyond the Japanese films that they can't enjoy anything that doesn't begin with one of the Toho logos. They're the type that would of had no issues with KoTM if it was a Japanese-made production and think films like Godzilla vs. Monster Zero are the pinnacle of human drama.
-MM

Cryptid_Liker
EDF Instructor

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:24 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:as the new Ultraman anime shown, while Polygons models are kind of meh, they can do some dope action choreography.

Color me cautiously optimistic

I know this comment is old but ULTRAMAN was animated by Production I.G and SOLA Digital Arts, not Polygon. The same studios collaborated once again for Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045.

Gigantis
Xilien Halfling

Postby Gigantis » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:25 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:I think it’s dead Jim

Yeah honestly lol. We've gotten zero news on this thing since it was announced, i don't even think it's happening.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji
Justiriser

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:45 pm

I honestly don’t care if it happens. I’m perfectly content with the first film and all it’s ancillary media. I don’t need an extension or continuation of the universe.

tbeasley
G-Grasper

Postby tbeasley » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:41 pm

~ Tyler

Happy Happy Halloween, Halloween, Halloween
Happy Happy Halloween, Silver Shamrock
Happy Happy Halloween, Halloween, Halloween
Happy Happy Halloween, Silver Shamrock

Cryptid_Liker
EDF Instructor

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:09 am

Does anyone know if this picture of Trespasser was anywhere in the movie?

SoggyNoodles2016

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 am

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Does anyone know if this picture of Trespasser was anywhere in the movie?

No, but I can tell you from the look of it and how its not one to one with Movie Trespasser, my money is 60% SFX test and 40% fan animation

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:WACKY WAVING TRANSPARENT NECK FLAILING TUBE SPACE DRAGON!!!!

WACKY WAVING TRANSPARENT NECK FLAILING TUBE SPACE DRAGON!!!

WACKY WAVING TRASPARENT NECK FLAILING TUBE SPACE DRAGON!!!

NSZ
E.S.P.Spy

Postby NSZ » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:45 am

It was, for an extremely brief moment.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Postby Noble Saber » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:29 am

In the opening narration.
They must love the smell of Bvlgari. Yeah, I'm doing a little product placement! I gotta get paid, too!

Return to “Monster Manor”