Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Postby gottatalktothefake » Tue May 26, 2020 9:21 am

NSZ wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
tbeasley wrote:Alright simmer down now.

Sorry if I sounded aggressive at you, that wasn't my intention.

It's just that PRU is my absolute least favorite film ever made, like out of every movie I've seen nothing has ever personally insulted my intelligence and expectations as an audience member like PRU. It's almost disturbing how absolutely wrong they got with everything.

"Mt. Fuji was always the target" and them trying to defend that ass-pull will never not make me wanna smash my head against a wall.

PRU actually skreeonking hurt me with how stupid it was. Did they just not remember that the first kaiju literally went in the opposite direction of Japan? Or that like 90% of kaiju didn't attack Japan at all.
Legit, every KoTM hater I have ever seen on social media or interacted with are all the same. They are either these young kids to middle aged adults so detached from anything beyond the Japanese films that they can't enjoy anything that doesn't begin with one of the Toho logos. They're the type that would of had no issues with KoTM if it was a Japanese-made production and think films like Godzilla vs. Monster Zero are the pinnacle of human drama.
-MM

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Giratina93 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:50 am

gottatalktothefake wrote:
NSZ wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Sorry if I sounded aggressive at you, that wasn't my intention.

It's just that PRU is my absolute least favorite film ever made, like out of every movie I've seen nothing has ever personally insulted my intelligence and expectations as an audience member like PRU. It's almost disturbing how absolutely wrong they got with everything.

"Mt. Fuji was always the target" and them trying to defend that ass-pull will never not make me wanna smash my head against a wall.

PRU actually skreeonking hurt me with how stupid it was. Did they just not remember that the first kaiju literally went in the opposite direction of Japan? Or that like 90% of kaiju didn't attack Japan at all.

That's the wonderful world of a movie born and molded out of executive meddling and frankenstein drafts for you. Universal didn't want a faithful followup to PR, they wanted their own movie, and that's exactly what they got.

As for DeKnight, you have to remember that Hollywood is a voracious hellhole to keep your job as director, especially with the internet and how easy it is for fans AND the higher ups of distributors and producers to know each and every thing a director says. DeKnight can't just come out and say "Yeah, everything was screwed up by Universal", or otherwise he's never seeing another directing job there again, because not just Universal, but ANY big distributor or producer wants nothing to do with someone willing to squeal about behind the scenes turmoil or meddling. They want obedient yesmen who do as they're told, won't talk back, and will take all the blame when the movie they meddled in goes up in flames. Most directors have no choice BUT to act out that yes man until their directing days are over, or they just don't care anymore, so it doesn't surprise me to see DeKnight defend one of the movie's dumb decisions. He defends it, all the fans hate and rage at him. He doesn't, he's never seeing another job as director ever again, and good luck finding a job with so many people desperately seeking work all over the place, even back then.
You dare try to challenge me? Then we shall see how you fare against a true Archangel!

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

SoggyNoodles2016
EDF Soldier

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:29 pm

The night I saw PRU, I walked out of the theater with a major tooth ache, which turned out to be because of a root canal.

I was glad because it gave me something less painful to think about

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?

Angilasman
Samurai

Postby Angilasman » Tue May 26, 2020 4:35 pm

NSZ wrote:"Mt. Fuji was always the target" and them trying to defend that ass-pull will never not make me wanna smash my head against a wall.

This was my favorite part of the movie because it's so stupid it's like a random episode plot from an actual '70s Super Robot cartoon. Not, like, the endgame for a series, just a random one episode revelation that's quickly made, drives the episode's plot, and is then never referred to again in the series. It's like I was watching an episode of Mazinger Z for a second! Plus, Burn Gorman screaming "rare-earth elements!" was unquestionably the highlight of the film.

Gigantis
Kwaidan

Postby Gigantis » Tue May 26, 2020 7:23 pm

If for some, ungodly miracle PR3 somehow exist, it's gonna be a skreoonking miracle to make up for Uprising and all it's crap let me tell ya. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
G-Grasper

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Thu May 28, 2020 12:19 pm

Originally, Uprising was scored by John Paesano. Lorne Balfe replaced him 2 month before the movie was released. Here are some tracks from the scrapped OST.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu May 28, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Kwaidan

Postby LegendZilla » Thu May 28, 2020 2:35 pm

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Originally, Uprising was scored by John Paesano. Lorne Balfe replaced him 2 month before the movie was released. Here are some tracks from the scrapped OST.

Is it true that something similar happened with Rogue One?
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Vakanai
G-Grasper

Postby Vakanai » Thu May 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Glad to still have not seen PRU. So, there any future to this IP left or is it over?
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

SoggyNoodles2016
EDF Soldier

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:48 pm

LegendZilla wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:Originally, Uprising was scored by John Paesano. Lorne Balfe replaced him 2 month before the movie was released. Here are some tracks from the scrapped OST.

Is it true that something similar happened with Rogue One?

Kinda. Alexander Desplat was supposed to score Rouge One but had to drop out due to post-prouction taking too long for his schedule, leaving Michel Giacchino to compose instead (in 4 weeks I might add which is very impressive). It's similar but not the same because so far, it seems like Desplat hadn't written anything by the time Giacchino took over.

Also, I've only listened to a snippet of score and I INSTANTLY prefer Paesano's to Bafle's (which is not surprising tbh. Score for Daredevil and Insomniac's Spidey are fire)

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?

Gigantis
Kwaidan

Postby Gigantis » Thu May 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Vakanai wrote:Glad to still have not seen PRU. So, there any future to this IP left or is it over?

The way i see it

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
G-Grasper

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:29 pm

Since the common opinion is that Uprising sucks, if you were in charge of the Pacific Rim sequel, how would you do it?

No, you can't say "I wouldn't make it at all", and if I see even one of you post that, I will legit vore you. And guess what, I don't wanna do that.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Kwaidan

Postby Gigantis » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:45 pm

^Image

Well for starters, how about we get a more competent director? I'm not asking for, like, Peter Jackson or Steven Spielberg, but i mean Jordan vogt. Roberts and people like that.

Second, don't make the Jaegars move so... smooth. They're giant robots, they're a bit bound to be clunky.

Third, MAKE SURE YOU WATCH THE SKREOONKING FIRST FILM SO YOU DON'T RETCON POOP.

Cryptid_Liker
G-Grasper

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:03 am

Not spoiling the Mega-Kaiju in the first trailer would be a good idea, too.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Postby JAGzilla » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:17 pm

Cryptid_Liker wrote:I will legit vore you.

This is possibly the strangest and most inappropriate threat I've ever seen made on this site. Congratulations?

To answer the question, obviously I wouldn't make the final battle such a contrived asspull. I would've made every effort to make sure the story made any kind of sense within the framework established by the first movie.

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:42 pm

Study the aesthetics of the first movie better. Pacific Rim has a very post apocalyptic setting. Very grungy settings contrasted by bright, illuminating lights. Character personalities are built into the designs of the mechas and kaiju themselves. Kaiju are given unique neon patterns to differentiate from one another. Leatherback and Cherno Alpha are the heavy brutes. Striker Eureka and Otachi are the sleek, slender designs built for speed and precision. Every location in the first Pacific Rim is a painting. Uprising looks too saturated and clean. Either keep the aesthetic consistent or make something unique that isn't the generic, sanitized future setting.

A story that doesn't completely suck ass would also be nice.
Last edited by 2004Zilla on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They must love the smell of Bvlgari. Yeah, I'm doing a little product placement! I gotta get paid, too!

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:48 pm

2004Zilla wrote:Study the aesthetics of the first movie better. Pacific Rim has a very post apocalyptic setting. Very grungy settings contrasted by bright, illuminating lights. Character personalities are built into the designs of the mechas and kaiju themselves. Kaiju are given unique neon patterns to differentiate from one another. Leatherback and Cherno Alpha are the heavy brutes. Striker Eureka and Otachi are the sleek, slender designs built for speed and precision. Every location in the first Pacific Rim is a painting. Uprising looks too saturated and clean. Either keep the aesthetic consistent or make something unique that isn't the generic, sanitized future setting.

A story that doesn't completely suck ass would also be nice.

It's so frustrating to me that people I know were complaining that they couldn't see the monsters, only their tron lines and I'm like that isn't a flaw, that was an artistic choice, part of what makes these monsters scary is you can't see them in the dark, just their outlines from their glow in the distance, like seeing an angler fish in the black depths in the distance.

They still don't get it, nigh, refuse to get it.

goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby goji89 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:49 pm

I just saw Uprising and holy shiit did it suck. It made the first look like a masterpiece.
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

SoggyNoodles2016
EDF Soldier

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:59 pm

I love everything everyone has been saying but I'll also add: don't decide to turn a film Del Toro meant to go AGAINST the typical "one man saves the world in a military glorifying car commerical" formula of most summer blockbusters and decide that's EXACTLY what the sequel will be.

It would take me a week to fix the story.

Added in 39 seconds:
goji89 wrote:I just saw Uprising and holy shiit did it suck. It made the first look like a masterpiece.

I'm sorry. Now, we can be cursed with it together.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Major sssspielberg! » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:55 am

skreeonk I haven't seen this yet. I heard they call the big enemy at the end Mega Kaiju.
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.

edgaguirus wrote:Your climax sounds better than the one we got in the movie.

:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Postby Maverick Centigrade » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:06 am

Waiting for the Netflix series be like:

So then Worf suddenly has a purple space bazooka...

Return to “Monster Manor”