Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Postby UltramanGoji » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:04 am

Gailah 1966 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Gailah 1966 wrote:Just watched Pacific Rim Uprising and I noticed that PRU merged the Godzilla and the Gamera universe.

No, it's just a fun easter egg.

This is your point of view.

Actually, it's an objective fact but if you want to think it's some big crossover clue then be my guest.

ROMG4
Interpol Agent

Postby ROMG4 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:21 am

I really want to see the Pacific Rim show explore its universe

I was once g2vd, then I deleted my account. I am really silly, but I regret nothing!

MM Raids Again
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MM Raids Again » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:39 pm

And I bring this thread back from the dead!

Ok, no. No new information for a new movie, game or TV series yet. I just wanted to resurrect this thread and post some thoughts. I just watched both Pacific Rim and Pacific Rim: Uprising back-to-back for, I think, the first time since PR:U was released to home video. Yeah, the first film is still the better of the two and that doesn't need much more to say. However, I think my feelings on PR:U have mellowed out over time. Yeah, still not as good but, IMO, it's far from a bad movie. It's not perfect by any means, but I think it's a fine, turn your brain off kaiju flick.

My biggest complaint about PR:U is still the waste of Obsidian Fury. They really should have utilized him more, maybe keep his demise for the end of the film in Tokyo. But besides that, everything is still still solid material. The end fight, a big Hollywood city battle with buildings being destroyed... SET IN DAY TIME. And while I do find the idea of the teen pilots eye rolling and dumb, at least they're not as poorly done as some other teenage heroes in cinema (looking at you, Transformers). Plus, Charlie Day's character into a villain wasn't that hard a pill to swallow. Given his love for kaiju in the first movie, it almost feels natural for him to eventually change sides, with or without alien mind control. I do expect, if we ever see this storyline completed and his character (played/voiced by Day or not), that Newt will be freed of alien control and redeem himself in the end. It'd actually be REALLY interesting to see Newt freed of his alien masters, but still linked to a handful of kaiju so we see some kaiju on kaiju action.
Did you miss me?

Return to “Monster Manor”