Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Post Reply
User avatar
Loganrules115
Interpol Agent
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Loganrules115 »

Y'know, a Pacific Rim-Godzilla crossover could be the one thing to rejuvenate the franchise.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

daveblackeye15
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Got my Uprising artbook today!
Also making some progress in Pacific Rim Ascension. Turns out, at least in this novel, Vik is actually the daughter of Cherno Alpha's pilots. I remember briefly wondering that.

User avatar
Cookson
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2951
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 am

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Cookson »

Loganrules115 wrote:Y'know, a Pacific Rim-Godzilla crossover could be the one thing to rejuvenate the franchise.
Pacific Rim is done. There's no reason to use Godzilla to save this failed franchise. Don't take that in a negative way.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

User avatar
Moogabunga
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Moogabunga »

Cookson wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote:Y'know, a Pacific Rim-Godzilla crossover could be the one thing to rejuvenate the franchise.
Pacific Rim is done. There's no reason to use Godzilla to save this failed franchise. Don't take that in a negative way.
Yep. At its current rate, Uprising will be lucky to make $300 million worldwide

User avatar
Mac Daddy MM
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2486
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Cookson wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote:Y'know, a Pacific Rim-Godzilla crossover could be the one thing to rejuvenate the franchise.
Pacific Rim is done. There's no reason to use Godzilla to save this failed franchise. Don't take that in a negative way.
Oooor, hear me out here... Not have this be a cinematic franchise. Two movies and toy lines are fine, but I think this franchise would be great as something like an animated series for Netflix. Going by oversees reports and general toy interest, there is definitely a market for giant robots fighting giant monsters. Just maybe not Multi-Hundreds of Millions of Dollar blockbuster levels of market. Let IDW or Dark Horse or some other company have a few runs with it in comic form. Let some game developers in on the idea. There's a gold mine here as the public's interest in giant stuff is reignited.

Build up the franchise by other means over the course of a decade or so.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you miss me?

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5557
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

^Yeah, perhaps a Pacific Rim game with 4v4 battles could work along with objectives. Lots of potential there.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

User avatar
Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Gothicserpent »

Franchise ded?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

User avatar
XxComablack1937xX
Futurian
Posts: 3649
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by XxComablack1937xX »

Loganrules115 wrote:Y'know, a Pacific Rim-Godzilla crossover could be the one thing to rejuvenate the franchise.

It could, but it could also hurt the Godzilla franchise as well, i doubt Legendary/Warner would risk it. They have Kong so even if Godzilla 2 slightly under-performs (which is unlikely) bringing Kong in will add money $$$.

At this point Pacific Rim is probably done. We should be lucky it even got a sequel.
Last edited by XxComablack1937xX on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken - Oscar Wilde

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. - Edgar Allan Poe

I wanted to be where nobody I knew could ever come. ― Sylvia Plath

You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough. - William Blake

User avatar
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4055
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 pm
Location: Mushroom kingdom
Contact:

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by ernesth100 »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote:Y'know, a Pacific Rim-Godzilla crossover could be the one thing to rejuvenate the franchise.

It could, but it could also hurt the Godzilla franchise as well, i doubt Legendary/Warner would risk it. They have Kong so even if Godzilla 2 slightly under-performs (which is unlikely) bringing Kong in will add money $$$.

At this point Pacific Rim is probably done. We should be lucky it even got a sequel.
Tbh, as unique as the franchise was. The feel is gone now.
Created My Own Superhero Universe
ErgonomicComics Wiki Updated Daily As Of 12•5•20

Looking For Aspiring Writers & Artists:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29457


Calling It Now, GvKK, King Kong won't be an inch under 250 ft. Also Kong wins, just barely though, obviously.

User avatar
Rody
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5307
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Rody »

I went to see it this afternoon, and I enjoyed it; but I would have to agree that it wasn't very good. The plot felt rushed and contrived at times. The characters didn't seem to develop and interact as organically as they were meant to. I don't don't know if I would go so far as to call this film "pro-military", but there was definitely an attitude to the tone of the film that felt more in line with standard (cliche?) military-type movie stories, and I can't say I cared for that. On the other hand, I felt engaged by the film the whole time, and very much enjoyed the action sequences, so the film wasn't a total loss for me.

Some more specific thoughts, positive and negative:
Spoiler:
-The chase between Scrapper and November Ajax was a unique sequence between both PR films and quite delightful.
-Obsidian Fury was a great design and had good screen presence - but, what exactly was the point of it? Why did it attack, and why was it hiding out in Siberia? That really wasn't explained well
-Killing Mako was a BAD idea, as already stated numerous times here. I'm kind of ticked that they did that. I think the intent was to give Jake more drive in staying and fighting, but that didn't come across well enough.
-And what in the world did Mako even know about Siberia for??? What was even there, besides Obsidian Fury itself? Where did Mako get this info???? It was an all-too convenient moment in the plot, in retrospect.
-the mass-produced hybrids were cool (although, to be fair, if those "Eva-ripoff" criers would like to stand up again...), and I liked the idea of Newt as the surprise not-exactly-evil villain - but the movie was too heavy-handed with setting up Shao as the villain; so when the reveal comes, it's like she and Newt do complete 180 spins in their respective personalities, and it's jarring.
-While little of the music stood out to me, the original theme was used to great effect in the select scenes it appeared.
-Is it just me, or is the Serizawa scaling still off for the kaiju? Raijin is implied to be the Cat 5, but Shrikethorn looked much more massive.
-The kaiju designs weren't as memorable as Kinfehead, Leatherback or Otachi, but they were still pretty cool; and I think Raijin comes in close for distinct design.
-The ending... kind of... happened, abruptly. I don't know if that's bad, or just odd. Then again, I suppose the real ending was with Newt and Jake; the title card just threw me off.
I'm glad we were able to get this movie, but I don't think I'll mourn if we never see another film. I still like the idea of an animated series, though.

User avatar
The One and Only
Futurian
Posts: 3209
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 pm
Location: Jamestown, PA

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by The One and Only »

Rody wrote:I went to see it this afternoon, and I enjoyed it; but I would have to agree that it wasn't very good. The plot felt rushed and contrived at times. The characters didn't seem to develop and interact as organically as they were meant to. I don't don't know if I would go so far as to call this film "pro-military", but there was definitely an attitude to the tone of the film that felt more in line with standard (cliche?) military-type movie stories, and I can't say I cared for that. On the other hand, I felt engaged by the film the whole time, and very much enjoyed the action sequences, so the film wasn't a total loss for me.

Some more specific thoughts, positive and negative:
Spoiler:
-The chase between Scrapper and November Ajax was a unique sequence between both PR films and quite delightful.
-Obsidian Fury was a great design and had good screen presence - but, what exactly was the point of it? Why did it attack, and why was it hiding out in Siberia? That really wasn't explained well
-Killing Mako was a BAD idea, as already stated numerous times here. I'm kind of ticked that they did that. I think the intent was to give Jake more drive in staying and fighting, but that didn't come across well enough.
-And what in the world did Mako even know about Siberia for??? What was even there, besides Obsidian Fury itself? Where did Mako get this info???? It was an all-too convenient moment in the plot, in retrospect.
-the mass-produced hybrids were cool (although, to be fair, if those "Eva-ripoff" criers would like to stand up again...), and I liked the idea of Newt as the surprise not-exactly-evil villain - but the movie was too heavy-handed with setting up Shao as the villain; so when the reveal comes, it's like she and Newt do complete 180 spins in their respective personalities, and it's jarring.
-While little of the music stood out to me, the original theme was used to great effect in the select scenes it appeared.
-Is it just me, or is the Serizawa scaling still off for the kaiju? Raijin is implied to be the Cat 5, but Shrikethorn looked much more massive.
-The kaiju designs weren't as memorable as Kinfehead, Leatherback or Otachi, but they were still pretty cool; and I think Raijin comes in close for distinct design.
-The ending... kind of... happened, abruptly. I don't know if that's bad, or just odd. Then again, I suppose the real ending was with Newt and Jake; the title card just threw me off.
I'm glad we were able to get this movie, but I don't think I'll mourn if we never see another film. I still like the idea of an animated series, though.
Mako knew
Spoiler:
about the Siberia facility because she had been a part of the Jaeger program for most her life under Pentacost's command, and was familiar with much of its operation from inception. Obsidian Fury's signature stuck out to her because the facility had been shut since before the end of the war. And the later generations of power core tech had a different signature. And Obsidian's attack I figured was to spook the council to approve the Drone Program. Mako's death was unintential, or Obsidian Fury took her out because she might've started to figure out what was going on before Newt's planned fully gelled.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

daveblackeye15
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Anyone else reading Ascension? It gives Cherno Alpha some attention along with giving focus to Shaolin Rogue. Vik and Jinhai give attention. Quite enjoying it so far.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations
Posts: 2621
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Chris55 »

Gothicserpent wrote:Franchise ded?
Who knows? People kept saying that after the first one and how there will never be a sequel etc. Maybe they'll try and revive it again in a few years.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

User avatar
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer
Posts: 10701
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image
Image

User avatar
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4055
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 pm
Location: Mushroom kingdom
Contact:

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by ernesth100 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Gundam style Japanese art poster.

https://twitter.com/PacificRim_JP/statu ... 29441?s=20
Oh they are going for that pretty penny in Japan. If they can strike it big with the audience they could possibly...nooo...we'll see what happens.
Created My Own Superhero Universe
ErgonomicComics Wiki Updated Daily As Of 12•5•20

Looking For Aspiring Writers & Artists:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29457


Calling It Now, GvKK, King Kong won't be an inch under 250 ft. Also Kong wins, just barely though, obviously.

User avatar
Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Gothicserpent »

How much did the first make in japan?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Justiriser
Posts: 15891
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gothicserpent wrote:How much did the first make in japan?
Around 11 mil, I think?
Image

User avatar
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4055
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 pm
Location: Mushroom kingdom
Contact:

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by ernesth100 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:How much did the first make in japan?
Around 11 mil, I think?
Okay numbers I was expecting way less
Created My Own Superhero Universe
ErgonomicComics Wiki Updated Daily As Of 12•5•20

Looking For Aspiring Writers & Artists:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29457


Calling It Now, GvKK, King Kong won't be an inch under 250 ft. Also Kong wins, just barely though, obviously.

daveblackeye15
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I really like both the tie in materials for the film. If people wanted to see more black market stuff then the six issue comic book is more up their alley. If they wanted to see both more of the old Kaiju war and what Jaeger training is like then Ascension is right up their alley.

User avatar
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5789
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Godzillian »

ernesth100 wrote:On the bright side all the new kaiju and jaegers make for some wonderful fantasy matches!
-Gypsy Danger vs Avenger?
-Leatherback vs Raijin?
-Mega-Kaiju vs G2014?

The fanfiction we can derive from this won't be half bad either.
Truly something Del Toro dreamed his labor of love boiling down too
Image

Post Reply