Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by imposterzilla »

I am digging the new kaiju designs.

Elytron Frass
Ronin

Post by Elytron Frass »

Yes, the new kaiju designs and the new robot's color scheme look great. I'm open minded about this. Pacific Rim (which never recieved a sequel in my head-canon) is one of my favorite kaiju films. Setting it on an isolated island/continent (Australia) might give way to more creative license and narrative freedoms. The Black seems to be going for more of a post apocalyptic aesthetic for instance. I'm fine with that. My biggest want is more understanding and exploration of the precursors and their motives.
Last edited by Elytron Frass on Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

My biggest want is character development. Give us some emotion so we feel this series. Hopefully it's not just nonstop action and plot progression. This does have promise
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm still "meeeh" on this entire thing honestly. All my hype went to Singular Point and Shin Ultraman.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:03 pm I'm still "meeeh" on this entire thing honestly. All my hype went to Singular Point and Shin Ultraman.
Similar, but add Godzilla vs Kong and the Kong Skull Island anime to the list (and possibly the Cloverfield sequel if it really is a "true" sequel finally...). I loved the first Pac Rim film, but have not been able to force myself to watch the sequel after all those negative reviews, and so far this anime hasn't shown much promise of bringing me back. This just feels like a franchise that's lost its way after such a great start...

Still, I'd love to be wrong.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I presume this is the final trailer. Copperhead looks really cool.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

It looks.. okay i guess? The animation still isn't wowing me (not helped by the really stupid shiny lighting the monsters have) and the characters don't look to interesting either honestly.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Looks a lot better than Godzilla: Singular Point, to be perfectly honest.

Last edited by Spuro on Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Looks like a further degradation of the Pacific Rim mythos. Horrible.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Come on folks this looks considerably better than Uprising.
tbeasley wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:23 pm I like the more Striker Eureka looking main mech but the teal/orange paintjob is really garish.
I guess 'training mech without weapons' explains the paint scheme.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

tbeasley wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:33 am Come on folks this looks considerably better than Uprising.
Not saying much considering how bad that was. :?

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:38 am
Where did you get the name for the new kaiju?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

imposterzilla wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:14 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:38 am
Where did you get the name for the new kaiju?
When its hologram shows up, the name is directly underneath.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I see now! It looks cool actually!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:59 am Looks a lot better than Godzilla: Singular Point, to be perfectly honest.

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DroQM6X3vM
Yep. 100%. I can't wait for the G:SP lovers to come in and try and say why Godzilla: Singular Point is so much better when the designs look like dime a dozen DA bad fanart.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Even if the designs are iffy (and maybe we should wait to see them in action before we sneer too much?), I personally am just very glad to see Toho remembering that they have monsters that aren't the Big Five. This is an important step for them, dusting off nobodies like Gabara or Titanosaurus that haven't seen action since long before most of us were born. And the whole thing looks a good bit more entertaining than the MP Trilogy, which is welcome.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:03 pm Even if the designs are iffy (and maybe we should wait to see them in action before we sneer too much?), I personally am just very glad to see Toho remembering that they have monsters that aren't the Big Five. This is an important step for them, dusting off nobodies like Gabara or Titanosaurus that haven't seen action since long before most of us were born. And the whole thing looks a good bit more entertaining than the MP Trilogy, which is welcome.
I've seen no signs that they've dusted off Titanosaurus, but agreed it's cool to get a few monsters (and robots) outside of the usual suspects.
Besides, designs are a distant second to good plots.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

So early reviews for the Black are positive.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:04 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:03 pm Even if the designs are iffy (and maybe we should wait to see them in action before we sneer too much?), I personally am just very glad to see Toho remembering that they have monsters that aren't the Big Five. This is an important step for them, dusting off nobodies like Gabara or Titanosaurus that haven't seen action since long before most of us were born. And the whole thing looks a good bit more entertaining than the MP Trilogy, which is welcome.
I've seen no signs that they've dusted off Titanosaurus, but agreed it's cool to get a few monsters (and robots) outside of the usual suspects.
Besides, designs are a distant second to good plots.
Titanosaurus was in the first trailer.