Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

My artbook arrived today.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Striker Eureka cost a little over 100 Billion Dollars to build. Which is more than four Aircraft Carriers cost. However, that's a Mark V. Combat class too. A Construction Jaeger would likely be smaller, and because of not being built for Combat, it would be made of far cheaper and more accessible resources. Also, no weapons. And no Drift Compatibility. Pilots would coordinate vocally. This would bring the cost down dramatically. A Jaeger could clear away rubb;e and construct the Wall of Life ore efficiently and quickly than ration workers, So they would pay for themselves. Yes it's a stretch, but it's a cool idea and works well enough to be accepted within the universe. They wouldn't be called "Jaegers" anyway, cause they aren't used for hunting. this is my brain child, trust me, I put a lot of thought into it.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

gigan72 wrote:
Svitska Donkun wrote:Striker Eureka cost a little over 100 Billion Dollars to build. Which is more than four Aircraft Carriers cost. However, that's a Mark V. Combat class too. A Construction Jaeger would likely be smaller, and because of not being built for Combat, it would be made of far cheaper and more accessible resources. Also, no weapons. And no Drift Compatibility. Pilots would coordinate vocally. This would bring the cost down dramatically. A Jaeger could clear away rubb;e and construct the Wall of Life ore efficiently and quickly than ration workers, So they would pay for themselves. Yes it's a stretch, but it's a cool idea and works well enough to be accepted within the universe. They wouldn't be called "Jaegers" anyway, cause they aren't used for hunting. this is my brain child, trust me, I put a lot of thought into it.
Wow, I actually like that idea.
You should read my Pacific Rim Novel. It's probably 400 something pages by now, and I'm still working on it. It has more of my ideas in it, including the ones I posted in here a page or two ago. I'll post links to it when it's finished.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
Let's dance.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I really like that concept.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Sweet.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

DacAttack
Monsterland Worker

Post by DacAttack »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:I'm not excited for a sequel. PR seemed like it had a sequel proof ending. With the rift closed why bother spending more money on Jaegers they probably would never need to use again? There's no need for a sequel. A prequel though? Hell yeah.
Blowing up the rift with one nuclear powered mech wouldn't exactly mean the end for the Precursors, that would just severely piss them off.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

DacAttack wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:I'm not excited for a sequel. PR seemed like it had a sequel proof ending. With the rift closed why bother spending more money on Jaegers they probably would never need to use again? There's no need for a sequel. A prequel though? Hell yeah.
Blowing up the rift with one nuclear powered mech wouldn't exactly mean the end for the Precursors, that would just severely piss them off.
After the rift got blown up everyone pretty much assumed that they had won the war. At least that's what I got out of Hercules saying "Stop the Clock" and the overall happiness in the Shatter Dome.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

Right now, what we need are prequels. They should focus on filling out the timeline that they've already established before trying to extend it.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

This pisses me off so much. If only Cherno got the screentime it deserved. :(
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

DacAttack
Monsterland Worker

Post by DacAttack »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
DacAttack wrote:
After the rift got blown up everyone pretty much assumed that they had won the war. At least that's what I got out of Hercules saying "Stop the Clock" and the overall happiness in the Shatter Dome.
What the hell do they know? They know next to nothing about what's on the other side. Anyways, I don't think we can assume the war is completely over with no stories to tell because they celebrated a huge victory.
Last edited by DacAttack on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DacAttack
Monsterland Worker

Post by DacAttack »

Godzillatheultimate wrote:What the hell do you know? You're just the audience.

I figure the idea is that the Precursors will figure it's not really worth it if the humans put up that much of a resistance. It'll just happen again.
Sweet come back bro! As an audience member, shouldn't I know more about the Precursors than just about everyone in the movie except Herman and Newton?
Anyways, despite what you figure, they are penning a sequel. So clearly the Precursors will strike back. Also, think about it this way, after the many setbacks, did europeans give up on the Americas?

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

DacAttack wrote: Also, think about it this way, after the many setbacks, did europeans give up on the Americas?
Well, for one thing, Britain is featured at some point in the film, for another thing, the bulk of Europe's bodies may not be on the line, but they still have countries and bases on the Pacific Rim, and they would lose just as much if not more economically.
Let's dance.

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

ligerzilla2014 wrote:Right now, what we need are prequels. They should focus on filling out the timeline that they've already established before trying to extend it.
On the DVD commentary, del Toro stated that he wasn't really interested in doing the first Kaiju attack or the period where the humans were winning, instead wanting to focus on the period where the humans were losing and it was the 11th hour. Whether he will change his mind about doing a prequel is anyone's guess, but at the moment he clearly seems more interested in continuing the story. If Pacific Rim turns into a big franchise, however, I would expect others to flesh out some of the details earlier in the timeline, most likely in future comics and novels.

DacAttack
Monsterland Worker

Post by DacAttack »

Svitska Donkun wrote:
DacAttack wrote: Also, think about it this way, after the many setbacks, did europeans give up on the Americas?
Well, for one thing, Britain is featured at some point in the film, for another thing, the bulk of Europe's bodies may not be on the line, but they still have countries and bases on the Pacific Rim, and they would lose just as much if not more economically.
I didn't explain myself well enough. Im talking about when Europe came to the Americas for the first time and their eventual takeover. No matter what disease, famine, weather, or resistance from the natives, they still wanted that damn gold and natural resources. I think the precursors will patch up their defense and try again, they only suffered one direct attack.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Wow. That is pretty cool. I like it.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

The things I would do to have that Gipsy head prop.

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

starsteam wrote:The things I would do to that Gipsy head prop.
that's what I originally read. XD

Oh Gipsy, how nice of you to come by and visit and oh look... You got yourself a lovely dressed nailed on you. :lol:
R.I.P My Old Sig. 2011 to 2016

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:Wow, the multitude of spam I just saw. Maybe we should steer this ship back to it's course before things go too wayward.

So, the bar's been raised pretty high by this movie when it comes to special effects. Am I right? There's plenty of moments where practical effects mix flawlessly with CGI.
I only noticed practical effects in the environments, as with every other movie these days. Nothing special to me. I wish they would've used practical effects for a few monster shots. I mean, even GINO was able to do that.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

20th Century Boy wrote:
Godzilla 1995 wrote:Wow, the multitude of spam I just saw. Maybe we should steer this ship back to it's course before things go too wayward.

So, the bar's been raised pretty high by this movie when it comes to special effects. Am I right? There's plenty of moments where practical effects mix flawlessly with CGI.
I only noticed practical effects in the environments, as with every other movie these days. Nothing special to me. I wish they would've used practical effects for a few monster shots. I mean, even GINO was able to do that.
Well remember, GINO's CGI wasn't the greatest. It was the 90's after all.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

^ But when it was shown with practical effects, it looked fantastic. So did the Baby Godzillas. I still remember the shot of one of them "smiling." That was pretty good animatronics, you gotta admit.