Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
AVERY GUERRA
JXSDF Technician

Re: Pacific Rim

Post by AVERY GUERRA »

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I guess i stand alone when i say this film still has little to no appeal at-least to me? Maybe the trailer will change my mind but for now it's just meh.. Giant Robot's really don't make me excited hence not caring for Transformer's at all

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I know I'm excited!
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:I guess i stand alone when i say this film still has little to no appeal at-least to me? Maybe the trailer will change my mind but for now it's just meh.. Giant Robot's really don't make me excited hence not caring for Transformer's at all
But....but....giant robots fighting giant monsters? Come on, man! Its a kaiju fans dream film!
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

So now Hellboy is joining this film huh? Well I'm set to see this now.
R.I.P My Old Sig. 2011 to 2016

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

mecha-gino wrote:So now Hellboy is joining this film huh? Well I'm set to see this now.
I would die of a heart attack if he was dressed up as Hellboy for this movie. Too much awesome to compute.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ The Right hand of doom Vs Kaiju?! Awesome.
seriously, i think is great to have him in the movie and its slowly becoming more "Recognized" between fans of Sci-Fi so that people would liked to watch this movie a little bit more.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

AVERY GUERRA
JXSDF Technician

Post by AVERY GUERRA »

Another minor update on the film from the director:

http://io9.com/5863325/pooping-vampires ... o-del-toro

Mr.Negativity
Yojimbo

Post by Mr.Negativity »

From Motion Captured:
The Bigger Picture: Muppets, Avengers, and Life In The Age Of Fanfiction
A new column examines the idea that our pop culture truly belongs to the fans today
Drew McWeeny wrote:You can treat something with reverence. You can treat it with irreverence. You can be sincere or silly, faithful or free to reinvent. You have to approach each property differently, and always… always… you have to give it to people who would make it for you for free. Morgan Spurlock's Comic-Con documentary has one storyline in particular that I think is just tremendous, inspiring and cool and funny. It's the story of Holly Conrad, a costume designer who is also a raving "Mass Effect" fan. She and her friends enter the masquerade at the Con and they win. More than that, though, she's now actually working on the Legendary Pictures film version of "Mass Effect" in some capacity. And when you're talking about genuine fans, you have to include Thomas Tull, the CEO of Legendary, who is as sincere a genre nerd as I've ever spoken with, but with a bigger checkbook than anyone else making fanfiction right now. He can pay for "The Dark Knight" because that's the version of Batman he wants to see. And ultimately, that is what fanfiction is,,, using whatever resources you have to make something about the properties that you love. If all you have is a Text Edit program and some inspiration, fine. Write the story. If you want to do a homemade video thing and shoot it guerilla and do all the FX yourself, and you want to spend $500 total, that's awesome. Do it. Directors are getting jobs now based on the fanfilms they make, and it seems like execs don't care. They're just looking at the skill set on display, and if the film punches some nostalgic button to give the exec that little extra squirt of Dopamine while he's watching, even better. And if you end up running a giant hedge fund and you think Godzilla's cool and you know he's got to fight other giant monsters and you think they screwed it up the last time Hollywood tried, and you want to pay to see that version, then fantastic. That's Hollywood 2012. That's where we are, and I don't see that changing.

But I hope as this age continues, and I think it will for a while still, these filmmakers take the time to also try the new. Thomas Tull may be making "Godzilla," an actual licensed version of the giant monster that still looms larger than any other internationally, but he's also the guy who finally had the stones to make "Pacific Rim" with Guillermo Del Toro, a giant monster movie with some pretty radical twists built in. It's like he's making both "Flash Gordon" and "Star Wars" at the same time. It is encouraging, certainly, and I hope more and more filmmakers take that step past the fanfiction that something like "Cabin In The Woods" represents next year, a film that is not just a show-off know-it-all ode to a genre, but also a very new and different expression of that genre. It seems to me that the Age of Fanfiction could give way to a new Age Of Invention, but that's going to require us to let go of the familiar at some point.

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

I really want to see this Movie! :D
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Sounds like an interesting project and may even be a great film....but will they please change the awful title? "Pacific Rim" sounds more like a gay night club in San Francisco than a giant monster film...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Sounds like an interesting project and may even be a great film....but will they please change the awful title? "Pacific Rim" sounds more like a gay night club in San Francisco than a giant monster film...
Says a lot about your thought process. :D There's nothing wrong with the title. It's an actual geographic term that fits the events of the film. Educate yourself a little, friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Rim http://geography.about.com/library/misc ... ficrim.htm
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

On that subject, yes I don't get what sounds so odd about the title especially when it refers to the geographic location(s) that the movie with highlight its action at. Can't wait until we get some sneak peeks at some of the monsters.

Back to the actual movie itself, the basic premise sounds kiiinda like what I wanted to see for the "Godzilla vs Gunhed". After the Godzilla aspect of the plot was written out of the script for Gunhed and said movie was put out in 1990, I remain a big Biollante fan but still thought this would've -like Biollante- been a strikingly different sort of Godzilla movie. Mothra vs Bagan was to be the 1990 giant monster flick from Toho but once that movie was dropped it would have been fun to see Gunhed turned back into a Godzilla movie for that year. But in terms of giant machinery battling monsters, Pacific Rim so far aims to deliver on that front.
고질라

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

"Still Seas" sounds like a decent title. But I still think "Pacific Rim" is the way to go. It just seems to fit the subject matter a little better (assuming what we've heard about the film is all accurate).

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I really like the title 'Pacific Rim', because it's very simple. It doesn't sound cliche or over the top; it's very subtle.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Is it wrong that I have more faith in this film than in LP's Godzilla?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Living Corpse wrote:
Gyaos wrote:Is it wrong that I have more faith in this film than in LP's Godzilla?
Nope.
I agree. This movie just has a lot more going for it right now. We also know that the director is extremely enthusiastic about the material, so he's probably going to put forth the effort to make this a good film.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Tyler wrote:Still Seas is an alternative title being thrown around.
I like Pacific Rim better. JMO
Gyaos wrote:Is it wrong that I have more faith in this film than in LP's Godzilla?
Nope. At least this film is moving along at a good pace.
고질라

Mr.Negativity
Yojimbo

Post by Mr.Negativity »

From ScreenRant:
‘Pacific Rim’ Production Update From Guillermo del Toro
Sandy Schaefer wrote: Just because fan-favorite filmmaker Guillermo del Toro is in the midst of shooting his most expensive blockbuster to date – the 25-foot-tall robots vs. monsters sci-fi epic, Pacific Rim – doesn’t mean he’s slacking off, as far as keeping in touch with fans about the current status of the project.

Principal photography commenced on Pacific Rim back in November 2011, with a rising-star-studded cast that includes actors such as Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy), Idris Elba (Prometheus), and Charlie Day (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia). It marks the first project featuring del Toro in the director’s seat since Hellboy II: The Golden Army hit theaters back in 2008.

One of the more noteworthy tidbits that del Toro dropped recently (via his official fansite) is that he’s penned several revised drafts of the Pacific Rim shooting script – which was originally written by Travis Beacham (Clash of the Titans) – with screenwriters ranging from Neil Cross (Luther) to Drew Pearce (Iron Man 3) and even Saw franchise duo Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton having also devoted a few days-to-weeks’ worth of input.

Hence, while the central narrative concept (ie. humans pilot giant robots to battle monsters from another dimension) for Pacific Rim remains the same, many important plot and character elements have been altered and refined from Beacham’s earlier draft. So, that’s encouraging, considering that Beacham’s prior film writing work left many worried that his Pacific Rim script would suffer from a lack of substance to go with all the flash and bang.

Similarly, the diverse range of talent that del Toro has “consulted” about Pacific Rim – and who, the filmmaker says, have all ultimately “chipped in with ideas that I love!” – should help ensure the final movie turns out better than his previous big-budget sci-fi monster flick, Mimic. Not having to deal with loads of studio interference should also help, as del Toro has long claimed was the case with that 1997 title. But, we digress…

On the topic of the human-controlled mechanical suits (or, rather “robots”) that will be present in Pacific Rim, del Toro had the following to say, with regards to their design:
I never “bend” a property to fit me. I just fall in love with the stories and give it my everything, so – don’t worry about [Mechas like The Golden Army in 'Hellboy 2']. These are proper robots but they obey our own sensibilities in design. I am not making them gear or steampunky at all but I also don’t want them to be just a “riff” on preexisting designs from Anime or games.
It would definitely be easy for del Toro to partially rip off the design of “piloted Mechas,” from films like Avatar and The Matrix Revolutions – or animated series such as Neon Genesis Evangelion – but, if anyone can devise a clever new variation on that trope, it’s the guy responsible for imagining the fantastical creatures of Pan’s Labyrinth. Then again, did anyone really expect any less from del Toro?

One last thing to note – del Toro also mentioned that “a top-tier composer” will be providing the score for Pacific Rim, but that it won’t be someone he’s worked with previously. That sadly discounts Oscar-nominee Javier Navarrete (The Devil’s Backbone, Pan’s Labyrinth) as an option, but hopefully a fitting alternative will be selected.

Pacific Rim remains set to hit U.S. theaters on May 10th, 2013.

Source: Del Toro Films (via CBM)

From MovieWeb:
Pacific Rim Monsters to Be Huge and Real Says Idris Elba
B. Alan Orange wrote:Here is what Idris Elba had to say about Pacific Rim, trying not to compare it to Godzilla.
"Godzilla would throw out the wrong sort of image, I think. We are talking about some big MF-ers. There's a lot of actuality in this one because he's created huge sets. I mean, we've taken over four sets in Pinewood in Toronto and built a lot of the stuff that you might see. Yes, there is huge CGI I'm sure, but we built a lot of stuff too.

Sources: The Wrap, MTV

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So the kaiju are bigger than Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image