Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Re: Pacific Rim

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

I'm just assuming Idris Elba does not know the exact height of Godzilla.
Or perhaps he means the scale of the actual movie when compared to a Godzilla film.

But I don't think the monsters in Pacific Rim will be bigger than Godzilla. That has already been established.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I assumed Idris is using the showa Godzilla scale when he says their bigger.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

IF the movie features real robots instead of super robots, i'm gonna be pissed.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

What, you mean like a giant Roomba, or Asimo comes out swinging? I don't think you have to worry....

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:Real Robots include Gundam, Votoms, and Macross/Robotech. Robots in this genre are treated like weapons and are used for things just as war. They are also portrayed more realistically and can be smaller than Super Robots. It is a hard scifi genre.
This sounds so much better than the former. It also seems like it would fit more with Del Toro's style.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Love Big O. And not just cuz I get to hear "Mega Deuce" every episode ha cha cha cha!

Can we just call PacRim "The Kaiju Film That's Actually Happening"?

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:Real Robots include Gundam, Votoms, and Macross/Robotech. Robots in this genre are treated like weapons and are used for things just as war. They are also portrayed more realistically and can be smaller than Super Robots. It is a hard scifi genre.
This sounds so much better than the former. It also seems like it would fit more with Del Toro's style.
Robots with crazy powers vs monsters of the week>Robots with overly dramatic pilots that shoots other robots while the other pilots are screaming for their moms and GFs before exploding.

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

shinmattiathekaiju wrote:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
Robots with crazy powers vs monsters of the week>Robots with overly dramatic pilots that shoots other robots while the other pilots are screaming for their moms and GFs before exploding.
I second this
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
"Crazy powers" is all you're basing your preference on? A Robot lacking those "crazy powers" and a pilot (or group of pilots) who has to learn how to effectively use it to combat a strange new enemy sounds a thousand times more stimulating imo. It provides a challenge/struggle for the pilot to face in order to defeat an alien foe. Also, if I recall correctly MANY of those shows you're apparently against feature robots with "crazy powers." This whole "crazy powers" thing is just.... crazy.

"Crazy powers."
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr.Negativity
Yojimbo

Post by Mr.Negativity »

From Fearnet:
Exclusive: Screenwriters Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton Talk Guillermo del Toro's 'Pacific Rim'
Joseph McCabe wrote: Filmmakers Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton (pictured from right to left) have worked on plenty of horror films in just the last eight years, from the Feast movies to the Saw movies to My Bloody Valentine 3D and Piranha 3D. But none of those films were as big as Pacific Rim. Literally. For director Guillermo del Toro's long-awaited monster mash promises to delight horror fans young and old with the largest assortment of giant creatures since Jurassic Park last went haywire. I recently spoke with Dunstan and Melton about their work as script doctors on Travis Beacham's Pacific Rim screenplay. Find out what they had to say about the film after the jump.

"Pacific Rim is Guillermo del Toro's new movie," said Patrick Melton of working on the film, "which is coming out in 2013. It is going to kick major ass. It's giant monsters versus giant robots, and Guillermo del Toro is the only person who could bring it to you. That was an amazing experience, because we read the script, and so we went in knowing what the producers and studio wanted us to do; and we went in and met Guillermo, and he started showing us the tests by ILM. They were just mind-blowing. I think they'll probably show something at Comic-Con 2012. Because they should be done by then, or close to done by then. I'm telling you, it's gonna rule Hall H when Guillermo, the king of geeks, comes out and shows some of the stuff he's shot. People are gonna be blow away."

"We've been denied a Guillermo del Toro movie for a few years now," added Marcus Dunstan, "and we had the feeling in sharing some time with him that there's been a well, that became a dam, that became a crushing force waiting to burst and give everything to Pacific Rim. I think he's the Santa Claus of fantasy, and he's going to gift everyone with an experience. Bring dad, bring the kids, bring everybody, and hold on."

"This is a PG movie," said Melton. "Most of his stuff is pretty edgy, for the most part. Nothing below PG-13 that I can think of. So this is his sort of four-quadrant movie. But it's got all the traits of a Guillermo movie, with the monsters and the younger characters and the things that go bump in the night… It's pretty great."

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

This is great, every time we are hearing a little bit more of Pacific Rim. I hope that there are different monsters
and not only Aliens but we will see about that later on.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Robots with crazy powers vs monsters of the week>Robots with overly dramatic pilots that shoots other robots while the other pilots are screaming for their moms and GFs before exploding.
"Crazy powers" is all you're basing your preference on? A Robot lacking those "crazy powers" and a pilot (or group of pilots) who has to learn how to effectively use it to combat a strange new enemy sounds a thousand times more stimulating imo. It provides a challenge/struggle for the pilot to face in order to defeat an alien foe. Also, if I recall correctly MANY of those shows you're apparently against feature robots with "crazy powers." This whole "crazy powers" thing is just.... crazy.

"Crazy powers."[/quote]

The villains are giant monsters. So Super Robots are more fitting. Watch Gunbuster to get the idea.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

^Just because super robots fight giant monsters in their genre doesn't make them more fitting for the movie. That all depends on the direction of the story. Robots as weapons can be every bit as effective if the plot allows for it.

As for that bit of news Mr. Negativity posted: Sounds awesome. Is that the first bit of info we've gotten saying this is PG? A PG horror movie with monsters and robots kicking ass sounds... different. I'm pumped. Hopefully we do get some info at comic-con.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:^Just because super robots fight giant monsters in their genre doesn't make them more fitting for the movie. That all depends on the direction of the story. Robots as weapons can be every bit as effective if the plot allows for it.

As for that bit of news Mr. Negativity posted: Sounds awesome. Is that the first bit of info we've gotten saying this is PG? A PG horror movie with monsters and robots kicking ass sounds... different. I'm pumped. Hopefully we do get some info at comic-con.
How about using Real Robots in the beginning of the movie and adding a super robot as a final weapon for the final battle?

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:^Just because super robots fight giant monsters in their genre doesn't make them more fitting for the movie. That all depends on the direction of the story. Robots as weapons can be every bit as effective if the plot allows for it.

How about using Real Robots in the beginning of the movie and adding a super robot as a final weapon for the final battle?
That wouldn't be bad. A save the best for last kind of thing to avoid getting used to whatever weapons a super robot would have. But we don't know what's gonna happen yet. Hopefully we get some design pics at Comic-Con.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:As for that bit of news Mr. Negativity posted...
Oh, wow. I thought you were insulting someone's attitude until I scrolled up and saw that was actually his username.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ Thats great...im thinking we should put our attention now on Pacific Rim that GODZILLA for a while until we hear more news
about it.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I'm not sure I like the idea of the film being PG. Kinda limits what we can do/show. Also, PG scares away alot of older audiences.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
Crocodile wrote:
I second this

Excuse me if I enjoy some melodramatic character development in what I watch...

Wait...I've watched super robot stuff. Everyone fucking yells in that. Obnoxiously so at times.
Yeah, but all Gundams outside Wing bore me. Also at least it's awesome yelling, Real Robot has just as much yelling, but with 90 times more angst.

Buit Gurren Lagann is awesome, and MEGAS XLR basically featured a Super Robot. And of course classics like Mazinger. Ergo, Super Robots wins. Mind you Shin chose a very small part of the Super Mech genre, but hey whatever floats your boat.
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:I'm not sure I like the idea of the film being PG. Kinda limits what we can do/show. Also, PG scares away alot of older audiences.
It's gonna be PG?
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren