Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

The night I saw PRU, I walked out of the theater with a major tooth ache, which turned out to be because of a root canal.

I was glad because it gave me something less painful to think about

RIP Evan.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

NSZ wrote:"Mt. Fuji was always the target" and them trying to defend that ass-pull will never not make me wanna smash my head against a wall.
This was my favorite part of the movie because it's so stupid it's like a random episode plot from an actual '70s Super Robot cartoon. Not, like, the endgame for a series, just a random one episode revelation that's quickly made, drives the episode's plot, and is then never referred to again in the series. It's like I was watching an episode of Mazinger Z for a second! Plus, Burn Gorman screaming "rare-earth elements!" was unquestionably the highlight of the film.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

If for some, ungodly miracle PR3 somehow exist, it's gonna be a skreoonking miracle to make up for Uprising and all it's crap let me tell ya. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Originally, Uprising was scored by John Paesano. Lorne Balfe replaced him 2 month before the movie was released. Here are some tracks from the scrapped OST.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu May 28, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Originally, Uprising was scored by John Paesano. Lorne Balfe replaced him 2 month before the movie was released. Here are some tracks from the scrapped OST.
Is it true that something similar happened with Rogue One?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Glad to still have not seen PRU. So, there any future to this IP left or is it over?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

SoggyNoodles2016

LegendZilla wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:Originally, Uprising was scored by John Paesano. Lorne Balfe replaced him 2 month before the movie was released. Here are some tracks from the scrapped OST.
Is it true that something similar happened with Rogue One?
Kinda. Alexander Desplat was supposed to score Rouge One but had to drop out due to post-prouction taking too long for his schedule, leaving Michel Giacchino to compose instead (in 4 weeks I might add which is very impressive). It's similar but not the same because so far, it seems like Desplat hadn't written anything by the time Giacchino took over.

Also, I've only listened to a snippet of score and I INSTANTLY prefer Paesano's to Bafle's (which is not surprising tbh. Score for Daredevil and Insomniac's Spidey are fire)

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:Glad to still have not seen PRU. So, there any future to this IP left or is it over?
The way i see it

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Since the common opinion is that Uprising sucks, if you were in charge of the Pacific Rim sequel, how would you do it?

No, you can't say "I wouldn't make it at all", and if I see even one of you post that, I will legit vore you. And guess what, I don't wanna do that.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

^Image

Well for starters, how about we get a more competent director? I'm not asking for, like, Peter Jackson or Steven Spielberg, but i mean Jordan vogt. Roberts and people like that.

Second, don't make the Jaegars move so... smooth. They're giant robots, they're a bit bound to be clunky.

Third, MAKE SURE YOU WATCH THE SKREOONKING FIRST FILM SO YOU DON'T RETCON POOP.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Not spoiling the Mega-Kaiju in the first trailer would be a good idea, too.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:I will legit vore you.
This is possibly the strangest and most inappropriate threat I've ever seen made on this site. Congratulations?

To answer the question, obviously I wouldn't make the final battle such a contrived asspull. I would've made every effort to make sure the story made any kind of sense within the framework established by the first movie.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Study the aesthetics of the first movie better. Pacific Rim has a very post apocalyptic setting. Very grungy settings contrasted by bright, illuminating lights. Character personalities are built into the designs of the mechas and kaiju themselves. Kaiju are given unique neon patterns to differentiate from one another. Leatherback and Cherno Alpha are the heavy brutes. Striker Eureka and Otachi are the sleek, slender designs built for speed and precision. Every location in the first Pacific Rim is a painting. Uprising looks too saturated and clean. Either keep the aesthetic consistent or make something unique that isn't the generic, sanitized future setting.

A story that doesn't completely suck ass would also be nice.
Last edited by Noble Saber on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

2004Zilla wrote:Study the aesthetics of the first movie better. Pacific Rim has a very post apocalyptic setting. Very grungy settings contrasted by bright, illuminating lights. Character personalities are built into the designs of the mechas and kaiju themselves. Kaiju are given unique neon patterns to differentiate from one another. Leatherback and Cherno Alpha are the heavy brutes. Striker Eureka and Otachi are the sleek, slender designs built for speed and precision. Every location in the first Pacific Rim is a painting. Uprising looks too saturated and clean. Either keep the aesthetic consistent or make something unique that isn't the generic, sanitized future setting.

A story that doesn't completely suck ass would also be nice.
It's so frustrating to me that people I know were complaining that they couldn't see the monsters, only their tron lines and I'm like that isn't a flaw, that was an artistic choice, part of what makes these monsters scary is you can't see them in the dark, just their outlines from their glow in the distance, like seeing an angler fish in the black depths in the distance.

They still don't get it, nigh, refuse to get it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I just saw Uprising and holy shiit did it suck. It made the first look like a masterpiece.

SoggyNoodles2016

I love everything everyone has been saying but I'll also add: don't decide to turn a film Del Toro meant to go AGAINST the typical "one man saves the world in a military glorifying car commerical" formula of most summer blockbusters and decide that's EXACTLY what the sequel will be.

It would take me a week to fix the story.

Added in 39 seconds:
goji89 wrote:I just saw Uprising and holy shiit did it suck. It made the first look like a masterpiece.
I'm sorry. Now, we can be cursed with it together.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Fuck I haven't seen this yet. I heard they call the big enemy at the end Mega Kaiju.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Waiting for the Netflix series be like:

"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:skreeonk I haven't seen this yet. I heard they call the big enemy at the end Mega Kaiju.
I remember being super disappointed by that name. Name it Thanatos or something. Anything but the name of the species/weapon type (??) with a boring adjective.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Major sssspielberg! wrote:skreeonk I haven't seen this yet. I heard they call the big enemy at the end Mega Kaiju.
I remember being super disappointed by that name. Name it Thanatos or something. Anything but the name of the species/weapon type (??) with a boring adjective.
How about a MAN that is... SUPER. Or a MAN that dresses like... A BAT! Or a LANTERN that is... GREEN! Or a MAN that dresses in... IRON. Or a CAPTAIN that is from... AMERICA. Or a WOMAN who acts like a... CAT! Or a MAN bitten by a radioactive... SPIDER!

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?