Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
StonedHope
Interpol Agent

Re: Pacific Rim

Post by StonedHope »

AVERY GUERRA wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:If this comes out in 2013 then the chances are that LP's Godzilla movie coming out in the same year is unlikely now? I think LP is doing this first to test if people would go see Giant Monsters or not?
I'm kinda worried that if this comes out first then the general audience may ignore "Godzilla" because of a been there- done that vibe sorta like if you had seen say "Dante's Peak" and then you may very well have bypassed "Volcano". Especially if people don't like this one then they may expect "Godzilla" to be more of the same. We all know that for this to be a success with the budget they're sure to use then it will need as much of the general audience as possible to come see it.
Well I think Godzilla stands more of chance than volcano. Godzilla's a recognized franchise. Also Gareth will keep the budget down. Wasn't that one of the pull factors that lead LP to hiring him?
Currently living in Taiwan (month 9).
If anyone is considering teaching English abroad as a good way to travel. I recommend you do it now and that you consider Taiwan. So far, I think it has the best of Southeast Asia.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

wataru wrote:Pacific Rim ...isnt that what you can an Asian girl tossing your salad?

Ugh....

Well, with this film coming in Summer 2013, I can assure you guys that the earliest we'll see LP's Godzilla is Summer 2014. Still, this film sounds intriguing, I'm just not sure how a giant monster film in Del Toro's hands will work,

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I'm really looking forward to this! I think this should be fun to look forward to, as its not an established character or series that I love and so would be worried about them runining it.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/06/28/gu ... arlie-day/

I am glad he is leaving the horror aspect out of this film. We are over due for real giant monster movie!

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

I still would of preferred a known commodity associated with Godzilla. I think Edwards is going to be too scared to take any risks. I fear that the new Godzilla film is going to be boring. Pacific Rim on the other hand could be one crazy thrill ride.

gilamonster
Samurai

Post by gilamonster »

AVERY GUERRA wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:If this comes out in 2013 then the chances are that LP's Godzilla movie coming out in the same year is unlikely now? I think LP is doing this first to test if people would go see Giant Monsters or not?
I'm kinda worried that if this comes out first then the general audience may ignore "Godzilla" because of a been there- done that vibe sorta like if you had seen say "Dante's Peak" and then you may very well have bypassed "Volcano". Especially if people don't like this one then they may expect "Godzilla" to be more of the same. We all know that for this to be a success with the budget they're sure to use then it will need as much of the general audience as possible to come see it.
I think the name Godzilla alone would have people going to see it opening night, simply because it is an established franchise. It's better in a way for them to do Pacific Rim first as if Godzilla was first then you would most definitely have the "been there done that" vibe. That's like saying releasing a Batman movie the year after a generic (but maybe good) superhero movie would be a bad idea. It's just warming the audience up. Plus it's a nice movie to have the first Godzilla teaser trailer, don't you think?

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

If this turns out as good as I hope it does, I could honestly care less about the LP Godzilla movie.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

StonedHope
Interpol Agent

Post by StonedHope »

wataru wrote:
Tyler wrote:
wataru wrote:And why do I want to see it?
Because it's a skreeonk giant monster movie directed by Guillermo goddamn del Toro, that's why!
I dunno. I actually didnt like Pan's Labrynth. I never watch a film because of the writer, director or producer (Tarantino is the only director who I sought out more films of).
lol I often seek films because of the director or writer.
Currently living in Taiwan (month 9).
If anyone is considering teaching English abroad as a good way to travel. I recommend you do it now and that you consider Taiwan. So far, I think it has the best of Southeast Asia.

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Thats an interesting logo. It supposed to be the one that will be on the uniforms of the "heros" combating against the monsters. Dosen't delivery a whole to but yet holds my interest
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

http://pokemunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

"Promethus has landed"

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Looks good. Easily one of my most anticipated films.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

There is a lot of Stuff Being Announced In Comic Con...Its Awesome.

The Logo reminds me of The G-Force in the Heisei Movies.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

AVERY GUERRA
JXSDF Technician

Post by AVERY GUERRA »

Some awesome new casting has been revealed!!:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/25600

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Giant Monsters? del Toro? Idris f@ckin' Elba (Stringer Bell!)?

This is just all sorts of awesome.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ Yay More News! I Wonder what kind of monsters will be in the movie? either only aliens or Different Monsters
a la War Of The Monsters VideoGame? :eh:
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I HOPE SO!!!!
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Togera being The Monster destroying Japan
Congar in U.S.A
Kineclops In rusia.

Oh My! Something Like This Happening in the movie Will Be Epic!

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Togera being The Monster destroying Japan
Congar in U.S.A
Kineclops In rusia.

Oh My! Something Like This Happening in the movie Will Be Epic!
Togera was from Russia.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Oh Its Been Sometime since i havent played WOTM that i forgot that.

something among those lines would be good, I read in the Story of the movie,Script or something that in 2012
a Monster (Godzilla Type Maybe) Was Going to destroy Osaka Or Japan And i was Wondering about it
(Hence Togera and Co.).

AVERY GUERRA
JXSDF Technician

Post by AVERY GUERRA »

Guillermo Del Toro talks about the film a little more in a new interview here:

http://fangoria.com/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=255

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'm calling it now someone is going to see something in this flim and want it to fight the new godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image