Banana Splits, horror movie.

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Re: Banana Splits, horror movie.

Postby Vakanai » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:25 pm

MM Raids Again wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Ultimately it comes down to using generic children things to heighten tension versus using specific things from your childhood to frighten a new generation. Just feels kind of disrespectful.

Where is the line drawn, exactly? This franchise has been effectively dead for like 30 years. It's not like they took Barney and Teletubbies and did this to them. While not nearly as a big example, but what is the difference here than turning Gamera from his goofy, 1960's kiddy friendly self into the 1990's dark and grittyself? The same logic for this goes for that. Both franchises were effectively dead long before the idea of what they did popped into someone's head.

And for the record, I am 100% game for a man-eating Barney movie.

Also, watched about half of this movie before falling asleep. Not because it's boring, but because I was just that tired. From what I did see, it was pretty good for a low budget horror flick. Loved the sawing in half kill. Pretty good.

The line is simple, there's still people living with fond memories of it, I'm assuming. I mean, if the franchise is that dead, why not just make original characters for this instead? Why bring back an IP like this just to turn it into a FNaF ripoff? I mean for minimum wage for one hour they could have gotten someone to come up with new character ideas, or just shuck it off on an intern for free if they're that cheap.

And Gamera's not really some great example either - for as dark and gritty as the 90's trilogy is, I don't even think it manages to break a PG13 rating. You can totally show your older kids those movies, they're like TV Y7 at worst. And not only that, but after the trilogy the next movie went back to the kiddy well with Gamera the Brave.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

MM Raids Again
Futurian

Postby MM Raids Again » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:13 pm

Vakanai wrote:The line is simple, there's still people living with fond memories of it, I'm assuming. I mean, if the franchise is that dead, why not just make original characters for this instead?

There was also people with fond memories of Showa Gamera (myself one of them) long before the 1990's reinvention. This same logic applies to that. Hell, the creator of Showa Gamera hated the Heisei trilogy for what it did to the character. What is the difference here, exactly?

Why bring back an IP like this just to turn it into a FNaF ripoff?

Cashing in on the nostalgia. Same argument can be made for any property getting a comeback.

And Gamera's not really some great example either - for as dark and gritty as the 90's trilogy is, I don't even think it manages to break a PG13 rating. You can totally show your older kids those movies, they're like TV Y7 at worst. And not only that, but after the trilogy the next movie went back to the kiddy well with Gamera the Brave.

Showing kids a movie like this is all up to the individual... I grew up with Freddy, Jason and Michael. If you don't like the Gamera example, try anything from Batman and all the changes his character has gone through (including an R-rated animated film and pretty gruesome comics compared to the golden age). You have other examples from Marvel as well. Just look up some of the stuff Hulk has done in the Ultimate universe (biting heads off included). Do you want to compare the 1950's Fly and Blob to their 1980's variations?

Taking something kid friendly and making it dark/twisted for the sake of being dark/twisted is not a new concept in the least. If you don't like this movie, that's fine. But using the "they ruined it!" as an excuse, when this franchise was not only dead but virtually unknown today, isn't a valid reason for hating on it, IMO.
Did you miss me?

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:14 am

MM Raids Again wrote:There was also people with fond memories of Showa Gamera (myself one of them) long before the 1990's reinvention. This same logic applies to that. Hell, the creator of Showa Gamera hated the Heisei trilogy for what it did to the character. What is the difference here, exactly?

The difference is a lot of kids could still watch it. The Heisei trilogy isn't a horror series, it isn't rated R, Gamera didn't suddenly become an adults only thing, it's just a bit more gritty than the Showa films. It's like the difference between The Justice Friends and Young Justice. A more serious take isn't the same thing as a complete genre change and rating change.

Cashing in on the nostalgia. Same argument can be made for any property getting a comeback.

Does anyone really believe nostalgia is going to sell even one disc of this movie?

Showing kids a movie like this is all up to the individual... I grew up with Freddy, Jason and Michael. If you don't like the Gamera example, try anything from Batman and all the changes his character has gone through (including an R-rated animated film and pretty gruesome comics compared to the golden age). You have other examples from Marvel as well. Just look up some of the stuff Hulk has done in the Ultimate universe (biting heads off included). Do you want to compare the 1950's Fly and Blob to their 1980's variations?

Taking something kid friendly and making it dark/twisted for the sake of being dark/twisted is not a new concept in the least. If you don't like this movie, that's fine. But using the "they ruined it!" as an excuse, when this franchise was not only dead but virtually unknown today, isn't a valid reason for hating on it, IMO.

Batman is also kind of a bad example - he's never been just one thing, he's never been just for kids. Hell he had a gun and killed criminals in his first few comics. There's R rated, PG 13 rated, PG, and even G rated Batman stuff being produced. Batman's not an example of something kiddy suddenly being made for adults, he's more of a all ages, broad appeal kind of thing whose demographics has fluctuated back and forth a bit over time. Just because there's violent Batman stuff for adults now doesn't mean he's not also still widely available for kids, check out Lego Batman or Batman Unlimited for examples. There's no new Banana Splits thing being marketed to kids.
Hulk and all other comic book characters kind of fall into this too. There are R versions and G versions for all of them.

I've not seen either of the Blob films yet, nor the original Fly.

I never said I didn't like or dislike this movie, haven't seen it yet, probably will though. Just said it feels like a needlessly dick move, which you know, is a valid opinion. Like who even is the gatekeeper on what is or isn't corporate dickery? And hating on it is a far stronger emotion than I have for it either way. More mild bewilderment and slight hope they don't target the shows I loved like that. With indifference being a 0 and hate being a 10, I'm like a 1 or a 1.5 at best here.

Added in 2 minutes 57 seconds:
Just a thought, the internet is a weird thing. Look at the time and effort I'll waste arguing over something I'm like one point away from being disinterested in. Imagine how I'll argue over crap I really do give a darn about. No wonder some fans seem so angry all the time online.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:58 am

Looks like a good old fun family movie. 10/10, would watch with my hypothetical kids.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Postby GigaBowserG » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:58 am

Never heard of this movie till now, how strange. May actually give it a watch sometime.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

MM Raids Again
Futurian

Postby MM Raids Again » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:12 am

Vakanai wrote:The difference is a lot of kids could still watch it.

... The Banana Splits? Yeah, no they don't. That poop wasn't even aired regularly when I was a kid, let alone when I'm watching my girlfriend's.

Batman is also kind of a bad example - he's never been just one thing, he's never been just for kids. Hell he had a gun and killed criminals in his first few comics. There's R rated, PG 13 rated, PG, and even G rated Batman stuff being produced. Batman's not an example of something kiddy suddenly being made for adults, he's more of a all ages, broad appeal kind of thing whose demographics has fluctuated back and forth a bit over time. Just because there's violent Batman stuff for adults now doesn't mean he's not also still widely available for kids, check out Lego Batman or Batman Unlimited for examples. There's no new Banana Splits thing being marketed to kids.
Hulk and all other comic book characters kind of fall into this too. There are R versions and G versions for all of them.

All I'm seeing in this argument is that its okay for one franchise to change styles and tone, but not for the other.
Did you miss me?

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:08 pm

MM Raids Again wrote:... The Banana Splits? Yeah, no they don't. That poop wasn't even aired regularly when I was a kid, let alone when I'm watching my girlfriend's.

I meant Gamera. Kids could still watch Hesei Gamera.

All I'm seeing in this argument is that its okay for one franchise to change styles and tone, but not for the other.

Which is weird, because I never once argued against changing styles or tones, I was arguing against changing genres entirely and intended audiences, but whatever, you do you man.
Last edited by Vakanai on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trust me.

Some netiquette:

Fish Cakes
Interpol Agent

Postby Fish Cakes » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:11 pm

MM Raids Again wrote:... The Banana Splits? Yeah, no they don't. That poop wasn't even aired regularly when I was a kid, let alone when I'm watching my girlfriend's.

Your girlfriend's what? :?
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

MM Raids Again
Futurian

Postby MM Raids Again » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:27 pm

Fish Cakes wrote:

Your girlfriend's what? :?

... Kids.
Did you miss me?

Fish Cakes
Interpol Agent

Postby Fish Cakes » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:50 pm

MM Raids Again wrote:... Kids.

Oh! So is it like a cuckold thing or are you dating a single mom? No judgement, just wanting to make sure I'm respectful here.

Also, sorry for going off-topic, mods!
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

MM Raids Again
Futurian

Postby MM Raids Again » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:46 am

Fish Cakes wrote:

Oh! So is it like a cuckold thing or are you dating a single mom? No judgement, just wanting to make sure I'm respectful here.

Are you an idiot?
Did you miss me?

Beef Bigshot
Keizer

Postby Beef Bigshot » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:21 am

MM Raids Again wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:

Are you an idiot?

Ya, why the skreeonk would you even respect a cuck?
Resized Image

MM Raids Again
Futurian

Postby MM Raids Again » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:33 am

Beef Bigshot wrote:
MM Raids Again wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:Oh! So is it like a cuckold thing or are you dating a single mom? No judgement, just wanting to make sure I'm respectful here.

Are you an idiot?

Well, to be fair, we do respect you, Beefkun.
Did you miss me?

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:40 am

Beef Bigshot wrote:
MM Raids Again wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:Oh! So is it like a cuckold thing or are you dating a single mom? No judgement, just wanting to make sure I'm respectful here.

Are you an idiot?

Ummm, I believe the correct question here would be "why would you respect a bull," since that's what she's speculating MM may be.

Also, why would you be in such a rush to judge somebody else's sex life?

And what does any of this have to do with Banana Splits?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Beef Bigshot
Keizer

Postby Beef Bigshot » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:45 am

eabaker wrote:
Beef Bigshot wrote:
MM Raids Again wrote:
Are you an idiot?

Ummm, I believe the correct question here would be "why would you respect a bull," since that's what she's speculating MM may be.

Also, why would you be in such a rush to judge somebody else's sex life?

And what does any of this have to do with Banana Splits?

I'm in a rush to criticize people who should shut the skreeonk up. A person's sex life should not be flaunted about and talked about everywhere. A person's sex life is a private affair and should always remain as such. If you make it public and of all things say you like being a cuck who let's other men skreeonk your wife than naturally I and everyone will make fun of you for being a beta male.
Resized Image

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:46 am

Lord.

Back to The Banana Splits movie. Everyone. Please and thank you.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Postby Orichalcum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:22 pm

if the Banana Splits franchise can be flipped into a horror series, I wonder what else could work?

Killer Smurfs?

Fraggle Rock but they come out of your wall and kill your pets?

The Snorks, but they drowned children?
Last edited by Orichalcum on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:26 pm

Anything but Jim Henson's stuff, please. Especially Fraggle Rock. That one was specifically created to bring joy and happiness to people and turning it into a horror series would be spitting on Henson's grave.

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:29 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:Anything but Jim Henson's stuff, please. Especially Fraggle Rock. That one was specifically created to bring joy and happiness to people and turning it into a horror series would be spitting on Henson's grave.

Can't you say the same thing about this though? I don't think Joseph Hanna and William Barbera would be very happy about this.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Postby Orichalcum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:30 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:Anything but Jim Henson's stuff, please. Especially Fraggle Rock. That one was specifically created to bring joy and happiness to people and turning it into a horror series would be spitting on Henson's grave.

Agreed, I was just being snarky :P
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Return to “Monster Manor”