Sony announces Twisted Metal TV series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
KManX89
G-Grasper

Sony announces Twisted Metal TV series

Postby KManX89 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:49 am

Source

Finally Sony does something I can actually get behind. A Twisted Metal TV series sounds like it could be dope as hell, a mix of Mad Max and Death Race, if you will, which I really enjoyed both movies, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I still can't believe we never got a sequel to the 2012 reboot on PS4.

A live-action movie with Costas Mandylor (known for playing Mark Hoffman in the Saw series) as Sweet Tooth was rumored at one point, but it apparently got stuck in development hell. I guess this is what's becoming of the planned movie.
Last edited by KManX89 on Tue May 28, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Re: Sony announces Twisted Metal TV series

Postby JAGzilla » Tue May 28, 2019 7:53 am

Hmm. On the one hand, this is potentially a freaking epic idea. On the other, I don't know if a TV show can get the budget necessary to pull off the effects. Even TWD didn't have the money/expertise to make simple car chases look good, so something on this level? I dunno. Here's hoping, though! And much more importantly, maybe this will finally give us a kickass modern update of the game series...

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Tue May 28, 2019 9:46 am

I feel like this would have made a better movie than tv show. I mean, I only played the 90's games so I could be wrong, but I don't think Twisted Metal has enough story or character interaction development to support the long form storytelling, and television doesn't have the budget to support the car carnage spectacle this franchise is all about. Like, if this we're Resident Evil (think Sony owns that) or The Last of Us (never played it but keep hearing about it) or even Lara Croft, television might be the way to go. But Twisted Metal? That has B Budget Film written all over it.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:53 am

Vakanai wrote:I feel like this would have made a better movie than tv show. I mean, I only played the 90's games so I could be wrong, but I don't think Twisted Metal has enough story or character interaction development to support the long form storytelling, and television doesn't have the budget to support the car carnage spectacle this franchise is all about. Like, if this we're Resident Evil (think Sony owns that) or The Last of Us (never played it but keep hearing about it) or even Lara Croft, television might be the way to go. But Twisted Metal? That has B Budget Film written all over it.

Well, to be fair, each of the characters has their own individual storylines. Sweet Tooth, for example, was a serial killer trying to kill his sister. It'll still be interesting to see how they manage to flesh each of them into a narrative-driven TV show stretched across multiple seasons with the car carnage spectacle.

Which BTW,how is THAT gonna work? Since the games are about literal car death matches where people drive around in weapon-filled cars and kill each other. Are they gonna copy Death Race and add a racing element to it so it can have multiple car death matches or is it all gonna lead up to one big car death finale? It'll be interesting to see how they pull this off. I'm sure it'll look cool when it does happen (provided they have the budget for it), but compromises will no doubt have to be made to fit it into a TV series.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Wed May 29, 2019 12:45 pm

KManX89 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:I feel like this would have made a better movie than tv show. I mean, I only played the 90's games so I could be wrong, but I don't think Twisted Metal has enough story or character interaction development to support the long form storytelling, and television doesn't have the budget to support the car carnage spectacle this franchise is all about. Like, if this we're Resident Evil (think Sony owns that) or The Last of Us (never played it but keep hearing about it) or even Lara Croft, television might be the way to go. But Twisted Metal? That has B Budget Film written all over it.

Well, to be fair, each of the characters has their own individual storylines. Sweet Tooth, for example, was a serial killer trying to kill his sister. It'll still be interesting to see how they manage to flesh each of them into a narrative-driven TV show stretched across multiple seasons with the car carnage spectacle.

Which BTW,how is THAT gonna work? Since the games are about literal car death matches where people drive around in weapon-filled cars and kill each other. Are they gonna copy Death Race and add a racing element to it so it can have multiple car death matches or is it all gonna lead up to one big car death finale? It'll be interesting to see how they pull this off. I'm sure it'll look cool when it does happen (provided they have the budget for it), but compromises will no doubt have to be made to fit it into a TV series.

I don't know, I have very lowered expectations on the car death matches right now. Compromises will be made, which is weird, usually people complain about movies having to compromise the story versus television, and this is kind of the opposite.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Wed May 29, 2019 2:48 pm

Holy Hell, is this real life? This is actually happening?

MM Raids Again
Futurian

Postby MM Raids Again » Wed May 29, 2019 5:13 pm

Really hope this is a HBO or Netflix series, however.
Did you miss me?

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Wed May 29, 2019 10:31 pm

MM Raids Again wrote:Really hope this is a HBO or Netflix series, however.

I know that's always the hope, but what are the odds of that realistically? Hmm...has any other Sony property been on HBO or Netflix? I mean, other than their movies because every movie winds up on one of the two. Well, I remember Sony was trying to get it's own television/streaming service started through the PlayStation, I imagine PlayStation Studios is part of that push so...probably won't be HBO, or Netflix, and you'll need a PlayStation to watch it I'm guessing. Total guess, but reasonable.
Trust me.

Some netiquette:

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Thu May 30, 2019 6:21 am

I am going to remain hopeful, but I fear the whole series is going to be like those Mortal Kombat shorts. Each episode is going to focus on a character leading up to the tournament, but then the show is going to end without actually having the tournament.

My main concern is are they going to do it like the really great and fun comical aspect like in TM2 or the realistic grim dark version of TMBlack? While I liked the reimagining they did for Black at the time, everything has gone that route in recent years that I want the more comical and fun PS1 style.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Thu May 30, 2019 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Thu May 30, 2019 12:27 pm

Kaiju no Kami wrote:I am going to remain hopeful, but I fear the whole series is going to be like those Mortal Kombat shorts. Each episode is going to focus on a character leading up to the tournament, but then the show is going to end without actually having the tournament.

My main concern is are they going to do it like the really great and fun comical aspect like in TM2 or the realistic grim dark version of TMBlack? While I liked the reimagining they did for Black at the time, everything has gone that route in recent years that I want the more comical and fun PS1 style.

Meh, having not played the game, I'd say the grim dark take of TMBlack better fits what the general audience prefers these days, so I'd hope they go more towards that style than the more out there 90s games I played.
Trust me.

Some netiquette:

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Thu May 30, 2019 10:03 pm

Vakanai wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:I am going to remain hopeful, but I fear the whole series is going to be like those Mortal Kombat shorts. Each episode is going to focus on a character leading up to the tournament, but then the show is going to end without actually having the tournament.

Meh, having not played the game, I'd say the grim dark take of TMBlack better fits what the general audience prefers these days, so I'd hope they go more towards that style than the more out there 90s games I played.

I get what you mean, but that is why I think they need to do the 90s style. Everyone does grim dark so much these days that it lost its edge. It's boring now. That's one of the reason the DC films failed initially.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Fri May 31, 2019 5:37 am

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

I get what you mean, but that is why I think they need to do the 90s style. Everyone does grim dark so much these days that it lost its edge. It's boring now. That's one of the reason the DC films failed initially.

No, not quite. People say it DC was dark, but they mean somber and depressing type dark, joyless. You can be dark and not be somber or depressing, like Mortal Kombat Legacy, that's the kind of dark I feel TM should aim for. A bit more grounded, so the violence feels more visceral, but still able to be a fun ride. Snyder just sucks at dark.
Trust me.

Some netiquette:

Return to “Monster Manor”