New Hellraiser Film In The Works

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

New Hellraiser Film In The Works

Postby MikeSTZillak » Mon May 06, 2019 1:09 pm

Hellraiser is getting the revival treatment at Gary Barber’s Spyglass Media Group, wiht David S. Goyer attached to produce and write the script.

Source: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/clive-barker-hellraiser-spyglass-david-goyer-1203205895/
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Mon May 06, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Monster X
Interpol Agent

Re: New Hellraiser Film In The Works

Postby Monster X » Mon May 06, 2019 2:38 pm

Of all the horror franchise, none has suffered more cruelly at the hands of cooperate greed then Hellraiser.

I really hope they can turn this series around. I'm not asking for a master piece, but it's been a loooooong time since we had even a descent Hellraiser film. Just please make a good film.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Postby Ben Shapiro » Sat May 11, 2019 7:00 pm

Monster X wrote:Of all the horror franchise, none has suffered more cruelly at the hands of cooperate greed then Hellraiser.

I really hope they can turn this series around. I'm not asking for a master piece, but it's been a loooooong time since we had even a descent Hellraiser film. Just please make a good film.

Clive Barker in general has been pretty much poop on every step of the way with all his movie adaptations, Transmutations, Rawhead Rex, Nightbreed, etc.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Sat May 11, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sat May 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Hurrah yet again another horror film that didn't need to be brought back.

What more can be done that hasn't already had been? -_-

They should just leave the classics as they are and try to make new IPs.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Postby MikeSTZillak » Sat May 11, 2019 7:09 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Hurrah yet again another horror film that didn't need to be brought back.

Well it's either this or doomed to DTV films.

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat May 11, 2019 7:09 pm

"What more can be done that hasn't already had been?"

^ A ton. We're talking demons who find pleasure in the most brutal of torture methods, because they find excruciating pain sexy. It all depends on the persons creativity and imagination. Just like how franchises such as Alien, Predator, Friday the 13th, NOES, Halloween, Scream, Childs Play TCM, Etc. could all be elaborated on, expanded upon and reimagined. It doesn't have to result in bad films, it just so happens they've gotten weak writers and directors.

IT being a perfect example of a reimagining done successfully. Though it's just a retread of the book.

New IPs will never get the same recognition because today's Horror isn't what it was all those years ago.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 11, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Apprentice.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sat May 11, 2019 7:21 pm

IT isn't comparable unlike the ones I listed that's only gotten a new film from the mini-series whereas these got multiple sequels.

What I'm saying is everything they could do has already been done in the previous film. Simply put its just the same old trend of killing and murdering as shown with the slasher films like Halloween. Halloween (2018) was just Michael Myers escaping again and killing once more looking for his sister. Yeah very new indeed...
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat May 11, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat May 11, 2019 7:29 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:IT isn't comparable unlike the ones I listed that's only gotten a new film from the mini-series whereas these got multiple sequels.

What I'm saying is everything they could do has already been done in the previous film. Simply put its just the same old trend of killing and murdering as shown with the slasher films like Halloween. Halloween (2018) was just Michael Myers escaping again.

Murdering and killing will always be in a horror film/franchise, it's the variation and matter in which it's done, that's the important part. Along with the overarching story that holds it together. The reason the new horror sequels have failed is because they think horror fans give a damn about nostalgia. Have Michael Myers go absolutely nuts in a prison, have Jason go on a Murder Spree during Christmas Break, have Freddy Krueger gain so much power that now he haunts the entire U.S. and it becomes a national crisis of millions of people not being able to sleep, have Chucky be artificial intelligence (oh wait), etc. etc. etc.
Sith Apprentice.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Postby MikeSTZillak » Sat May 11, 2019 7:31 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:have Freddy Krueger gain so much power that now he haunts the entire U.S. and it becomes a national crisis of millions of people not being able to sleep

This actually sounds amazing.

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat May 11, 2019 7:37 pm

MikeSTZillak wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:have Freddy Krueger gain so much power that now he haunts the entire U.S. and it becomes a national crisis of millions of people not being able to sleep

This actually sounds amazing.

Thank you :D, I really feel like once I have some free time I should try my hand at writing, I've got so many ideas for so many different things, but since starting college, I've been hammered with assignments/essays.

But yeah, ideas are infinite, anything is possible in terms of storytelling.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 11, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Apprentice.

The One and Only
EDF Soldier

Postby The One and Only » Tue May 14, 2019 7:25 pm

It'd be nice to finally see a HELLRAISER on the big screen if this gets made. I do have the first two on DVD ,although haven't watched them that much. But probably for a decade now we've been hearing the on again, off again news of a HELLRAISER remake, reboot in the works. Everyone from Patrick Lussier, Todd Farmer, the Soska Sisters ,and even Clive Barker himself have made various pitches which ended up in development heck. One reboot that seemed to receive a lot of love was Mike LeHon and Paul Gerrad's pitch for the franchise, HELLRAISER:Origins .
Pitch trailer.

Synopsis of Origins.

Although interesting, Origins, if it had been made kept looking like 300 or Sin Cty in my head with how it would be filmed if it got greenlit. Maybe not the best way to go with Hellraiser, but the settings, and situations is how I could see it being made without breaking the budget. But not to be.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Postby MikeSTZillak » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:57 pm

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:35 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Hurrah yet again another horror film that didn't need to be brought back.

They are making new IPs. The whole Conjuring universe, the Jordan Peele films, Silent Place, Brightburn, just off the top of my head. Just because you're disgusted with retreads don't act like they never make new IPs. They are.

Secondly I haven't even watched most of those new IPs because frankly they aren't interesting to me. The new style of horror film often goes the whole ghost/demonic possession route (Conjuring universe), or has a message or tone one that just sort of loses my interest (Peele films, Silent Place). They're popular, I get that, and they're all fine movies I'm sure. But they're not for me. I'm more interested in the revivals of older properties in the vain hope they'll be good again this time because at least they're my kind of horror film, and Hollywood doesn't seem capable of making too many of those anymore unless they do an old series that has those tropes and things already baked in.

So, there's nothing wrong with bringing franchises back because they are making new franchises, and yet those new franchises aren't going to cover every horror niche and sometimes I just want my old monsters and slashers to get some new kills than hope the next new IP also happens to be a classic styled slasher or whatever. The new IPs aren't just new characters or stories, they're completely different storytelling too, and sometimes I enjoy the old storytelling and don't want to watch the old films.

TL;DR There's an audience that wants and appreciates these movies.

Added in 7 minutes 6 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:What I'm saying is everything they could do has already been done in the previous film. Simply put its just the same old trend of killing and murdering as shown with the slasher films like Halloween. Halloween (2018) was just Michael Myers escaping again and killing once more looking for his sister. Yeah very new indeed...

And why is that a bad thing? If you happen to enjoy movies where a killer escapes and starts killing again for example, is a new IP really going to somehow do it better or bring a twist on it the audience will like? Sometimes the audience just wants to see Michael escaping and killing again for the umpteenth time. As long as it's well made this time and is a genuinely good movie outside of being another Michael Myers movie, what's the problem?
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:10 pm

There's just a time in a place when a franchise just needs to end where they are. No point bringing them back just for muhmoney and on said success and popularity of franchise.

Classic horror franchises are among those.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:12 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:There's just a time in a place when a franchise just needs to end where they are. No point bringing them back just for muhmoney and on said success and popularity of franchise.

Well Godzilla should have ended YEARS ago, since the only reason the Millennium films where made was because MUHMONEH and the kinda petty hate of the 98 film.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Postby MikeSTZillak » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:19 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:There's just a time in a place when a franchise just needs to end where they are. No point bringing them back just for muhmoney and on said success and popularity of franchise.

Well Godzilla should have ended YEARS ago, since the only reason the Millennium films where made was because MUHMONEH and the kinda petty hate of the 98 film.

Yes, "petty" hate for the film that pretty much everyone who worked on a Godzilla film called it garbage and an insult to the legacy of the franchise.

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:21 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:Well Godzilla should have ended YEARS ago, since the only reason the Millennium films where made was because MUHMONEH and the kinda petty hate of the 98 film.

The difference is though that you can tell many different stories for Godzilla as all the different timelines has shown.

These horror films not so much besides repeating same elements and repeated storylines from previous movies.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:33 am

As much as I dislike the recent Hellraiser films, at least they're doing new things with them. They're just very low budget and made with minimal effort because Dimension wants to keep the rights. A TV series could be a very interesting direction for this to go, to expand upon the lore.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:35 am

Maritonic wrote:As much as I dislike the recent Hellraiser films, at least they're doing new things with them. They're just very low budget and made with minimal effort because Dimension wants to keep the rights. A TV series could be a very interesting direction for this to go, to expand upon the lore.

why is Dimension so against selling the Hellraiser franchise? is it one of the only IPs they have left?

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:37 am

tyrantgoji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:As much as I dislike the recent Hellraiser films, at least they're doing new things with them. They're just very low budget and made with minimal effort because Dimension wants to keep the rights. A TV series could be a very interesting direction for this to go, to expand upon the lore.

why is Dimension so against selling the Hellraiser franchise? is it one of the only IPs they have left?

My understanding of it was that they wanted to hold on to the franchise so they could eventually do a big budget remake. But, they can't get it off the ground. So they keep pumping out the low budget crap ones every handful of years so they hold on to it.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Return to “Monster Manor”