Best Giant Monster Movies?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Best Giant Monster Movies?

Postby Vakanai » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:28 am

Well, with the exception of a small handful from the Showa era, I have almost all the Godzilla movies, Mothra movies, Gamera movies except for the Brave, and Daimaijin. Oh and all the King Kong movies. So to expand my collection further it is time to branch out.

I got my eyes on Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, the Great Behemoth, Gorgo, and Reptilicus. Probably the Deadly Mantis and Tarantula, plus some other giant bug films too if there are any. But money is limited so I'd like some recommendations to try and prioritize what to buy first. Any help?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Thanks!
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Re: Best Giant Monster Movies?

Postby KillCrites » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:37 am

The Host (2006), Cloverfield, Frankenstein Conquers the World, & Rodan (1956) are some of the best if you haven't seen them.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:28 am

KillCrites wrote:The Host (2006), Cloverfield, Frankenstein Conquers the World, & Rodan (1956) are some of the best if you haven't seen them.

Seen The Host once (rented it, back when video rental places were a thing), got Cloverfield on DVD, seen Rodan and have it recorded. Host and Rodan are both worth getting on disk though, they have blu-rays yet?

Need to see Frankenstein though. Think I actually looked for it on disk a few years back and couldn't find it anywhere.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:46 am

Vakanai wrote:
KillCrites wrote:The Host (2006), Cloverfield, Frankenstein Conquers the World, & Rodan (1956) are some of the best if you haven't seen them.

Seen The Host once (rented it, back when video rental places were a thing), got Cloverfield on DVD, seen Rodan and have it recorded. Host and Rodan are both worth getting on disk though, they have blu-rays yet?

Need to see Frankenstein though. Think I actually looked for it on disk a few years back and couldn't find it anywhere.

Host does, Rodan, not yet. But it might once Criterion releases their Godzilla titles.

Frankenstein you could probably find on Amazon for around $30, since the Media Blasters warehouse was raided apparently and old stock was released.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:47 am

Heisei Gamera Trilogy hands down.

No movies even compares to those besides the original 1954 Godzilla and 1933 King Kong.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:47 am

Rodan on blu-ray? Eww. The string are distracting enough on the DVD.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:57 am

THEM! is a classic movie. The best giant bug/insect movie ever made.

Here are some more:

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, The Black Scorpion, Gorgo, and The Giant Behemoth.

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:02 am

because no one mentioned it

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:07 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:because no one mentioned it

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

Oh yeah, forgot to mention it, but got it. Is a good movie.

Added in 2 minutes 49 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Heisei Gamera Trilogy hands down.

No movies even compares to those besides the original 1954 Godzilla and 1933 King Kong.

Agreed on that. Got the trilogy on blu-ray, best thing since Daimaijin...or 1970s Kong (I like it).

Added in 1 minute 4 seconds:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Rodan on blu-ray? Eww. The string are distracting enough on the DVD.

Eh, the strings don't bother me in Megaguirus, they won't bother me in Rodan.

Added in 2 minutes 19 seconds:
Rhedosaurus wrote:THEM! is a classic movie. The best giant bug/insect movie ever made.

Here are some more:

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, The Black Scorpion, Gorgo, and The Giant Behemoth.

THEM! Thanks, was trying to remember the name of the giant ants movie.
Already mentioned Beast, Gorgo, and Behemoth, but consider Scorpion added to the list!
Trust me.

Some netiquette:

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:40 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Heisei Gamera Trilogy hands down.

Having just finished watching it, I'd add Mothra (1961) to that list as well. That movie's such a damn classic. One of Toho's best kaiju films of all time.
Last edited by Kaiju-King42 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Anonziller
Yojimbo

Postby Anonziller » Wed May 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Some of my favorites I haven't seen mentioned yet
War of the Gargantuas
Troll Hunter
Grabbers
Dragonslayer
Reign of Fire
The third Patlabor movie is a creature feature
20 Million Miles to earth and everything else Harryhausen did
I know the Host was already mentioned but it's so good I had to put it here
Last edited by Anonziller on Wed May 01, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Thu May 02, 2019 3:13 am

Obviously these obscure films probably aren't on anybody's best giant monster list, but it is so rare for me to come across stuff I haven't at least heard of before that my curiosity is piqued - anyone ever hear of Agon the Atomic Monster or Mammoth Kong Vs. Gekko Kamen? Because I just stumbled on both at Amazon while adding Pulgasari to my wishlist. Just what the heck are these films? And I thought Yonggary, Pulgasari, or even Reptilicus were kind of obscure films.
Last edited by Vakanai on Thu May 02, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trust me.

Some netiquette:

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Thu May 02, 2019 5:14 am

You know most people will tell you that King Kong is one of the best giant monster movies but I gotta tell you. There is a giant ape movie that blows King Kong and pretty much any other movie both genre and non-genre based out of the water. Its called The Mighty Gorga.

Check out this epic fight between Gorga and a T-Rex

When that film came out there was a lot of controversy because the effects were so realistic people were actually believing that was real footage of a Dinosaur and a giant ape that someone filmed out in some hidden jungle. It made the paleontologist community go insane. The director had to reach out to the media and testify to the scientific community to assure everyone that was indeed special effects and not real footage.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Thu May 02, 2019 7:13 am

Vakanai wrote:Obviously these obscure films probably aren't on anybody's best giant monster list, but it is so rare for me to come across stuff I haven't at least heard of before that my curiosity is piqued - anyone ever hear of Agon the Atomic Monster or Mammoth Kong Vs. Gekko Kamen? Because I just stumbled on both at Amazon while adding Pulgasari to my wishlist. Just what the heck are these films? And I thought Yonggary, Pulgasari, or even Reptilicus were kind of obscure films.

Agon is a Japanese miniseries (4 episodes) scripted by Shinichi Sekizawa and first broadcast at the tail end of the first kaiju boom (1968). There's also a feature version that's just the four episodes edited together. Speaking of the kaiju boom (1966-67), you should keep an eye out for The X from Outer Space (Shochiku's 1967 giant monster movie) and Gappa (Nikkatsu's lone kaiju movie, 1968). They're both really silly, with the former more like the later Showa Gameras and the latter more along the lines of semi-serious entries like vs. Barugon or vs. Gaos.

Gekko Kamen is better known as "Moonlight Mask." It was Japan's first superhero TV series (1958-59), and at the same time, Toei produced six theatrical movies (barely feature length, each around an hour long) of the TV show's most popular arcs. In the show Mammoth Kong was a giant gorilla but in the feature version (Moonlight Mask - Monster Kong) he's apparently not so giant. I don't know which version is on Amazon.

If you're into Showa Godzilla then I recommend any other monster movie Toho produced in the '50s and '60s. And even if you're not big on Toho's Showa era output, I agree with the other users who have recommended Rodan and Mothra. Those are must-see classics.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Thu May 02, 2019 8:06 am

I have another one, Reign Of Fire.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Thu May 02, 2019 8:07 am

Terasawa wrote:
Vakanai wrote:Obviously these obscure films probably aren't on anybody's best giant monster list, but it is so rare for me to come across stuff I haven't at least heard of before that my curiosity is piqued - anyone ever hear of Agon the Atomic Monster or Mammoth Kong Vs. Gekko Kamen? Because I just stumbled on both at Amazon while adding Pulgasari to my wishlist. Just what the heck are these films? And I thought Yonggary, Pulgasari, or even Reptilicus were kind of obscure films.

Agon is a Japanese miniseries (4 episodes) scripted by Shinichi Sekizawa and first broadcast at the tail end of the first kaiju boom (1968). There's also a feature version that's just the four episodes edited together. Speaking of the kaiju boom (1966-67), you should keep an eye out for The X from Outer Space (Shochiku's 1967 giant monster movie) and Gappa (Nikkatsu's lone kaiju movie, 1968). They're both really silly, with the former more like the later Showa Gameras and the latter more along the lines of semi-serious entries like vs. Barugon or vs. Gaos.

Gekko Kamen is better known as "Moonlight Mask." It was Japan's first superhero TV series (1958-59), and at the same time, Toei produced six theatrical movies (barely feature length, each around an hour long) of the TV show's most popular arcs. In the show Mammoth Kong was a giant gorilla but in the feature version (Moonlight Mask - Monster Kong) he's apparently not so giant. I don't know which version is on Amazon.

If you're into Showa Godzilla then I recommend any other monster movie Toho produced in the '50s and '60s. And even if you're not big on Toho's Showa era output, I agree with the other users who have recommended Rodan and Mothra. Those are must-see classics.

I actually got Mothra from Wal-Mart recently (part of a DVD collection called Pop Culture Bento Box), and I have Rodan recorded. I'm thinking about getting the Mothra steelbook though when it comes out. Thanks for the information!

Added in 10 minutes 44 seconds:
Forgot I also have Gappa the Triphibian Monster as part of a DVD collection that otherwise only has Gamera movies.
Trust me.

Some netiquette:

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Thu May 02, 2019 12:23 pm

Terasawa wrote:
Gekko Kamen is better known as "Moonlight Mask." It was Japan's first superhero TV series (1958-59), and at the same time, Toei produced six theatrical movies (barely feature length, each around an hour long) of the TV show's most popular arcs. In the show Mammoth Kong was a giant gorilla but in the feature version (Moonlight Mask - Monster Kong) he's apparently not so giant. I don't know which version is on Amazon..

The bootleg Gekko Kamen vs. Mammoth Kong DVD on Amazon is from the TV show, and if I had to guess, is pulled directly from a fansub group. But if you'll notice, the set only contains the first few episodes of the Mammoth Kong arc, thanks to the fansubbers just giving up on it, I guess. So not only is it a shameless bootleg, but you aren't even getting the full storyline. I'd avoid it. It is a shame, as I would love to see some Tokusatsu programs from the 50s - early 60s subtitled.

As for giant monster movies....pretty much all the suggestions people have given are good ones. I'll admit that I think some of Harryhausen's
films can get a little too much praise from monster kids and the like, but I've still enjoyed all the ones I've seen, with Seventh Voyage of Sinbad and Jason and the Argonauts being the best (Those are two where I think all the praise they get is well-warranted). But stuff like Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, 20 Million Miles from Earth and Valley of Gwangi are still fun, even if I don't see them as the apex of giant monster movies or whatever.

Them! is definitely worth checking out, and Tarantula is also pretty fun. I still need to see The Deadly Mantis, but with the new BD out, I guess there hasn't been a better time to do so.

I really enjoy Gorgo. I wouldn't call it on-par with some of Toho's offerings from the same time or anything, but I think it's quite good. The Giant Behemoth is...okay? I need to rewatch it. But if you're going to do Eugène Lourié's other two monster movies (20,000 Fathoms and Gorgo), might as well include it.

Yongary is pretty fascinating (Not necessarily good, per se, but a very interesting production), and A*P*E needs to be seen to be believed. I'd call it unintentionally hilarious, but its clear the people working on it knew how terrible it was. Mighty Peking Man is fun, and certainly BETTER than A*P*E, though a very weird part of me almost prefers A*P*E. I'll admit to enjoying Konga, largely due to Michael Gough's performance. I guess I just have a soft-spot for a lot of British sci-fi films from that time, hence my liking of Gorgo. Speaking of which, could the two Hammer Quatermass movies technically count as giant monster movies? Certainly the second one has giant monsters in it. But the whole trilogy is terrific (Likewise the serial version of Quatermass and the Pit).

For Japanese, non-Toho, stuff that hasn't already been mentioned, Toei's The Magic Serpent is a lot of fun. Legend of the Dinosaurs and Monster Birds is kind of a love it or hate it flick, but I rather like it. Its definitely got a sleazy 70s feel only Toei could pull off. Daiei's Whale God/Kujira Gami has got to be one of the most overlooked Tokusatsu films in the US. It's terrific, and easily ranks as the best Daiei SFX film I've seen (Followed closely by the first Daimajin). But don't expect to see much of the titular whale, even if it is technically the main focus of the movie.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Thu May 02, 2019 1:19 pm

MaxRebo320 wrote:The bootleg Gekko Kamen vs. Mammoth Kong DVD on Amazon is from the TV show, and if I had to guess, is pulled directly from a fansub group. But if you'll notice, the set only contains the first few episodes of the Mammoth Kong arc, thanks to the fansubbers just giving up on it, I guess. So not only is it a shameless bootleg, but you aren't even getting the full storyline. I'd avoid it. It is a shame, as I would love to see some Tokusatsu programs from the 50s - early 60s subtitled.

That sucks. I was kinda interested.

As for giant monster movies....pretty much all the suggestions people have given are good ones. I'll admit that I think some of Harryhausen's
films can get a little too much praise from monster kids and the like, but I've still enjoyed all the ones I've seen, with Seventh Voyage of Sinbad and Jason and the Argonauts being the best (Those are two where I think all the praise they get is well-warranted). But stuff like Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, 20 Million Miles from Earth and Valley of Gwangi are still fun, even if I don't see them as the apex of giant monster movies or whatever.

I'm saving most of the Harryhausen stuff for later on, but I've always had a soft spot for Gwangi. Saw it on tv once with my pawpaw as a kid, was fascinated by cowboys and dinosaurs in the same movie. And that death scene, caught in the burning cathedral, wow.

Them! is definitely worth checking out, and Tarantula is also pretty fun. I still need to see The Deadly Mantis, but with the new BD out, I guess there hasn't been a better time to do so.

Them! and Tarantula are on my list. I'll probably buy them and The Deadly Mantis next, since I got all dinosaur movies this time (I went with Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, The Giant Behemoth, and Gorgo). Make it a giant bug movie marathon. It's obviously very different, but I always got a bit of a Gamera feel from Deadly Mantis - awoken in the arctic, flying monster, both it and the original American version of Gamera includes some talking about prehistoric animals. Anyways, I'd definitely recommend it. Saw it somewhere on TV, definitely gonna get it on disk.

I really enjoy Gorgo. I wouldn't call it on-par with some of Toho's offerings from the same time or anything, but I think it's quite good. The Giant Behemoth is...okay? I need to rewatch it. But if you're going to do Eugène Lourié's other two monster movies (20,000 Fathoms and Gorgo), might as well include it.

I'll definitely be looking forward to Gorgo then! Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Yongary is pretty fascinating (Not necessarily good, per se, but a very interesting production), and A*P*E needs to be seen to be believed. I'd call it unintentionally hilarious, but its clear the people working on it knew how terrible it was. Mighty Peking Man is fun, and certainly BETTER than A*P*E, though a very weird part of me almost prefers A*P*E. I'll admit to enjoying Konga, largely due to Michael Gough's performance. I guess I just have a soft-spot for a lot of British sci-fi films from that time, hence my liking of Gorgo. Speaking of which, could the two Hammer Quatermass movies technically count as giant monster movies? Certainly the second one has giant monsters in it. But the whole trilogy is terrific (Likewise the serial version of Quatermass and the Pit).

Michael Gough is definitely worth watching Konga. Never seen A*P*E or Mighty Peking Man, thanks! Need to look up Quartermass.

For Japanese, non-Toho, stuff that hasn't already been mentioned, Toei's The Magic Serpent is a lot of fun. Legend of the Dinosaurs and Monster Birds is kind of a love it or hate it flick, but I rather like it. Its definitely got a sleazy 70s feel only Toei could pull off. Daiei's Whale God/Kujira Gami has got to be one of the most overlooked Tokusatsu films in the US. It's terrific, and easily ranks as the best Daiei SFX film I've seen (Followed closely by the first Daimajin). But don't expect to see much of the titular whale, even if it is technically the main focus of the movie.

Having trouble finding Whale God and Magic Serpent on Amazon. Anyone have a link where they can be bought?
Trust me.

Some netiquette:

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Vakanai wrote:Having trouble finding Whale God and Magic Serpent on Amazon. Anyone have a link where they can be bought?

The Magic Serpent got a bootleg release as part of a double feature with Gamera vs. Gyaos/Return of the Giant Monsters by Retromedia years ago, though it's probably OOP. Not sure how much it fetches for on the secondary market, but you're probably just better off downloading it. The copy that circulates the web contains both the Japanese version with subs and the dub, but the dub is so poorly-synched, I'd go with watching it in Japanese (Not that the dub itself is bad, just badly-synched).

Whale God has never gotten any sort of US release as far as I know, but like Magic Serpent, can be found online. PM me if you're interested in either of them.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:38 am

I'll make a list here for monster/giant animal movies of varying degrees of quality. I'm not going to just recommend the best of them. But just a list for people who might want to watch something a little different from Godzilla, Gamera and friends. I'll try not to repeat recommendations I saw as I skimmed through this thread.

The Valley of Gwangi

Mighty Joe Young (both the 1949 and 1998 versions)

Son of Kong

Dogora

The Giant Gila Monster

The Killer Shrews (available as a set with the aforementioned The Giant Gila Monster )

Space Amoeba

Negadon: The Monster From Mars

The Last Dinosaur

The Land that Time Forgot (1975)

It Came from Beneath the Sea

Reptilicus

Return to “Monster Manor”