Train to Busan (2016) and other Korean films

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
LegendZilla
Kwaidan

Train to Busan (2016) and other Korean films

Postby LegendZilla » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:10 pm

Hello once again ladies and gentlemen, LZ here again. As we all know, for well over a decade now, South Korean cinema is going through something of a golden age, especially whenn it comes to the monster/horror department with such classics like The Host and The Wailing. In light of this, mind if I discuss the now-classic zombie apocalypse film Train to Busan? I just finished watching it and the ending actually tug at my heartstrings a bit.

What do you think of this movie? Also, what do you think the future holds for South Korean cinema? Feel free to elaborate.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian

Re: Train to Busan (2016) and other Korean films

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:29 pm

Awesome movie and it's getting a sequel too this year or next I believe.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:40 pm

If you like the blend of Korea and zombies, try Netflix's Kingdom. It's brilliant and I believe season two was already confirmed. There's also Rampant, though I haven't seen it.

As far as overall cinema, Korea has some of the best (and consistently best) in the world these days.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

LegendZilla
Kwaidan

Postby LegendZilla » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:59 pm

Here's an idea : What if South Korea did their own version of Godzilla? Yes, yes, I know it would be your first impulse to bring up Yongary, but I'm talking about if some major Korean film studio picked up the rights to the character and did a actual legitimate Godzilla movie. I know many of you would be skeptical of such and idea, understandably so, but hey Old boy started out as a japanese manga and now it's considered one of Korea's finest films in recent memory.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:13 pm

I believe various people have been trying to get a live action adaptation of Robot Taekwon V going.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

Vandarker
Interpol Agent

Postby Vandarker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:06 pm

LegendZilla wrote:Here's an idea : What if South Korea did their own version of Godzilla? Yes, yes, I know it would be your first impulse to bring up Yongary, but I'm talking about if some major Korean film studio picked up the rights to the character and did a actual legitimate Godzilla movie. I know many of you would be skeptical of such and idea, understandably so, but hey Old boy started out as a japanese manga and now it's considered one of Korea's finest films in recent memory.

Sadly giant monster movies do horribly here because of the widespread notion that they are immature, and because some major disappointments like D-War gave the genre a bad name.

LegendZilla
Kwaidan

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Vandarker wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Here's an idea : What if South Korea did their own version of Godzilla? Yes, yes, I know it would be your first impulse to bring up Yongary, but I'm talking about if some major Korean film studio picked up the rights to the character and did a actual legitimate Godzilla movie. I know many of you would be skeptical of such and idea, understandably so, but hey Old boy started out as a japanese manga and now it's considered one of Korea's finest films in recent memory.

Sadly giant monster movies do horribly here because of the widespread notion that they are immature, and because some major disappointments like D-War gave the genre a bad name.

Easy now, if the Superhero genre in Hollywood can survive Batman and Robin, any honest Korean filmmaker who knows what he’s doing could get lucky and do the job right.

tbeasley
JXSDF Technician

Postby tbeasley » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:19 am

I think some good entry films for folks here would be Bong Joon-ho's genre films (The Host, Snowpiercer, Okja) and Park Chan-wook's Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance).
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:22 pm

tbeasley wrote:I think some good entry films for folks here would be Bong Joon-ho's genre films (The Host, Snowpiercer, Okja) and Park Chan-wook's Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance).

Building off of that:

My Way
Doomsday Book
Mother
Woochi
The Man From Nowhere
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
New World
I Saw the Devil
고질라

Vandarker
Interpol Agent

Postby Vandarker » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:12 pm

tbeasley wrote:I think some good entry films for folks here would be Bong Joon-ho's genre films (The Host, Snowpiercer, Okja) and Park Chan-wook's Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance).

Na Hong-Jin is an awesome filmmaker as well, so far he has made only three feature-length films (Chaser, The Yellow Sea and The Wailing) so far but all three are amazing films in their own right.
Last edited by Vandarker on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Monster Manor”