The Dragon thread.

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Dragon thread.

Postby Rhedosaurus » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:32 pm

tbeasley wrote:How could I forget? The first 3 Spyro games had a big impact on me growing up.

(Un)Official adult Spyro -

More from the artist -
https://www.deviantart.com/nicholaskole ... ter-Design

You know, I would really like to see a game that features a full grown, or at least high school age, Spyro. One that he eventually learns to fly, shoot fireballs at long range, etc.

Added in 4 days 23 hours 14 minutes 57 seconds:
Gyarados, I choose you. By Enigmasystem via DeviantArt.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:24 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:Gyarados, I choose you. By Enigmasystem via DeviantArt.

When I still played Pokemon I almost always made sure to have one in my team. It was always worth leveling up weak Magicarp for it.
But my favorite dragon Pokemon (who oddly was never a dragon type) was Charizard.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:00 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:The name says it all. Dragons in movies, legends, and even Komodo Dragons and the real life sea serpent relatives, the mosasaurs, because...well why not? :P

In any case, an interesting article about how Reign Of Fire was the basis of modern day CGI dragons.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/vbb4dy/without-reign-of-fire-cgi-dragons-would-probably-suck

I can see why. The CGI Dragons in Reign of Fire still look super impressive even by today's standards. I cant remember, who did the effects for the film?
Last edited by Breakdown on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageBaby free at last! Thank Megatron I'm free at last!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:17 am

Vakanai wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Gyarados, I choose you. By Enigmasystem via DeviantArt.

When I still played Pokemon I almost always made sure to have one in my team. It was always worth leveling up weak Magicarp for it.
But my favorite dragon Pokemon (who oddly was never a dragon type) was Charizard.

Charmander was always my starter as well. After the first time I beat the game and had to restart, when it got to Charizard, I temporarily traded it to my Gold and taught it Fly. (I never got why it couldn't do this in my old Blue game.) I still do this every time and it's 4 moves are the following.

Fly, Dig, Fire Blast, and Flamethrower.

What's interesting about Gyarados was that it wasn't my main water, or one of them Pokemon until recently. The Ice/Water pleisosaur Pokemon Lapras was, and still is via Gold. Lapras still is, but Gyarados has become one of my main Pokemon.

Breakdown wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:The name says it all. Dragons in movies, legends, and even Komodo Dragons and the real life sea serpent relatives, the mosasaurs, because...well why not? :P

In any case, an interesting article about how Reign Of Fire was the basis of modern day CGI dragons.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/vbb4dy/without-reign-of-fire-cgi-dragons-would-probably-suck

I can see why. The CGI Dragons in Reign of Fire still look super impressive even by today's standards. I cant remember, who did the effects for the film?

Neil Eskuri via Disney. Reign Of Fire is a Disney movie via Touchstone Pictures.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Wed May 01, 2019 8:54 pm

I finally found, on DVD, a classic dragon film that I've been trying to find on home video for a long time: Dragonslayer (1981).

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Fri May 03, 2019 11:56 am

Here's a pretty good site about dragons.

http://www.blackdrago.com/

And since we've been talking about Pokemon dragons, here's the ocean dragon-bird Pokemon, Lugia.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:30 pm

Spoiler:

I love The Hobbit films and I seriously think Smaug is one of the greatest motion capture and CGI created charcters of all time. Love this dragon!

Inferno Rodan
EDF Soldier

Postby Inferno Rodan » Sat May 04, 2019 7:57 pm

LegendZilla wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
I don't think the guy in the movie was saying "Taro", he was saying "Follow!".

The wizard was saying " follow", but the dragon's name is Taro.

Is it confirmed?

As someone who was on the staff of the Monster Archives, I can confirm that the "Taro" name originated there and was the result of mishearing Sokurah saying "Follow!" We realized it probably close to 15 years ago at this point but just stuck with Taro because it felt better for him to have an actual name instead of just calling him "the dragon".

ANYWAY

Grigori is the best dragon in anything ever.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Thu May 09, 2019 8:30 am

Here's RJ Palmer's take on the Dragonite family via his DA page.

Dracosaurian
Interpol Agent

Postby Dracosaurian » Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:Here's RJ Palmer's take on the Dragonite family via his DA page.

His take on Dragonite is arguably the weirdest one I've seen. But... I find myself really liking it.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Thu May 09, 2019 10:03 am

Dracosaurian wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Here's RJ Palmer's take on the Dragonite family via his DA page.

His take on Dragonite is arguably the weirdest one I've seen. But... I find myself really liking it.

It's certainly a very fresh and unique take. It looks like a weird mix of the Game Boy version, a salamander, and a monstrous sized catfish.

Return to “Monster Manor”