Child's Play (2019)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

Rating for the film

Five Stars
11%
Four Stars
22%
Three Stars
11%
Two Stars
11%
One Star
44%

Total votes: 9

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Re: Child's Play (2019)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 pm

Still having some considerations whether to see this or not or just wait until NetFlix.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:45 am

I saw it on Friday, it had some things I genuinely liked and some scenes which were stupid and fell flat. Some of the character choices in this movie were completely dumbfounded and didn't make sense, others were wasted in several scenes in the movie, though I do like the reimagining of the story (to a point) and some of the arcs were interesting. It also brought a few laughs.

One major beef I had with the movie in the opening sequence is
Spoiler:
seriously, dude, you knowingly shipped a defective product TO KIDS just because your boss said mean stuff to you? And if they find out you were the one who programmed Chucky/Buddi to do that poop, guess what? You're gonna be on the hook for a plethora of grisly murders, which in the U.S. probably means the death penalty for you.

Also, I must warn you in advance: this movie is quite graphic and gory. It's not your usual Chucky stabbing people like before, they take the violence to a whole new level in this one, some of the death scenes are just flat out NASTY! Not quite as bad as Saw (3-onwards, anyway), but definitely not for the squeamish.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:25 am

KManX89 wrote:One major beef I had with the movie in the opening sequence is
Spoiler:
seriously, dude, you knowingly shipped a defective product TO KIDS just because your boss said mean stuff to you? And if they find out you were the one who programmed Chucky/Buddi to do that poop, guess what? You're gonna be on the hook for a plethora of grisly murders, which in the U.S. probably means the death penalty for you.

Spoiler:
According to what I've read, the dude commits suicide after tampering with Chucky so he probably won't get caught and it was probably a final skreeonk you to everyone

good review in general though

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 am

I just saw Child's Play tonight, enjoyable... not without it's flaws. But much better then I was expecting... I did end up hating the buddi song by the end though LOL I hope if they make a sequel I never hear it again.

I need to give it a second viewing before I put in my final thoughts. Mark Hamill was great though as Chucky and the kills were good. Acting was decent for all the main cast although I didn't like Andy's friends at all.

So far it'll hold at a 5.0 out of 10
Last edited by XxComablack1937xX on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:09 pm

The more I honestly really think about it. I will be perfectly honest this looks like this could be one of those better remakes.

As said I'm having consideration in seeing this. So for anyone whose already seen the movie? Would you recommend this is worth the theatrical watch or should I wait until NetFlix or something? I'd like to hear your opinions. I don't want to go in and come out disappointed.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:17 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:As said I'm having consideration in seeing this. So for anyone whose already seen the movie? Would you recommend this is worth the theatrical watch or should I wait until NetFlix or something? I'd like to hear your opinions. I don't want to go in and come out disappointed.

Well that depends, If your fan of the original Chucky series and don't appreciate them taking a entirely different approach then No.

The film delivers in solid acting, some good gory kills, you can sympatize with this Chucky then the previous and it's an hour and 25 minutes. The short run time keeps it from dragging. I'd say go see it.. keep your expectations low not because it'd bad but because it's different and you might come out loving it or at the very least appreciating it as i did.

Regardless you seem really interested in seeing it just go, it's not terrible by any mean's the rest is just up to your preferences. I personally don't think you'll regret it if you do but you might regret it later if you don't.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:29 pm

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Well that depends, If your fan of the original Chucky series and don't appreciate them taking a entirely different approach then No.

The film delivers in solid acting, some good gory kills, you can sympatize with this Chucky then the previous and it's an hour and 25 minutes. The short run time keeps it from dragging. I'd say go see it.. keep your expectations low not because it'd bad but because it's different and you might come out loving it or at the very least appreciating it as i did.

Regardless you seem really interested in seeing it just go, it's not terrible by any mean's the rest is just up to your preferences. I personally don't think you'll regret it if you do but you might regret it later if you don't.

Very well then. I only seen the first two which were decent movies (Classics in their own right IMO but not up there with those like Friday the 13th, Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street) and as you said I am interested so gonna see it this Saturday then. Thanks for your opinion. :)

Plus I like the new approach it takes from what I've seen which is why it sparks more interest more.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:42 am

Movie opened up surprisingly well at $14 mil. Not bad for an R rated film going up against the Juggernaut Toy Story 4.

Also, why is this under Monster Manor? A doll is not a monster, except in a figurative sense in the case of the Child's Play series.

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:03 pm

KManX89 wrote:
Also, why is this under Monster Manor? A doll is not a monster, except in a figurative sense in the case of the Child's Play series.

because anything mildly horror related goes here for some reason.

Just ask the Brightburn, Conjuring and Banana Splits thread.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:37 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

The Conjuring actually does have monsters in it, though. Well, demons, those count.

Annabelle Comes Home has a werewolf in it.

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:46 am

KManX89 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

The Conjuring actually does have monsters in it, though. Well, demons, those count.

Annabelle Comes Home has a werewolf in it.

:shock:

huh. Now that's sequel esclation

#MinillaForSmash2019

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Important Question:

So I`ve never seen a film with Chucky in it before. My girlfriend likes American slasher films, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, etc....The film actually comes out this week in Japan, and since we both like this type of stuff I was wondering if anyone on here can give it a solid recommendation. She also likes Spider-Man a lot, and I`m considering Far From Home, but really I don`t know. I`d see both with her, but time is limited due to her working a lot. I sort of feel Child`s Play would be a better option because it`s more niche; we can probably see Far From Home easily in the future. Assuming you aren`t totally into the franchise, is this a FUN standalone entry I can watch with her?
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:20 pm

It's a reboot so it's not like you need to watch the old ones to get it, but if she's into this sort of thing, I say yes. It's extremely gory.

I myself didn't like it to tell you the truth, but your girl might think differently and that's all that counts.

Definitely check out Spiderman if you have the time though, it's a solid film.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:29 am

Stump Feet wrote:It's a reboot so it's not like you need to watch the old ones to get it, but if she's into this sort of thing, I say yes. It's extremely gory.

I myself didn't like it to tell you the truth, but your girl might think differently and that's all that counts.

Definitely check out Spiderman if you have the time though, it's a solid film.

Aight, I’m gonna go see it her on the 27th.

I guess it’s a trade off seeing some American films I’d want to see late, for seeing Japanese Godzilla films early hehehe.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Return to “Monster Manor”