Child's Play (2019)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

Rating for the film

Five Stars
11%
Four Stars
22%
Three Stars
11%
Two Stars
11%
One Star
44%

Total votes: 9

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Child's Play (2019)

Postby MikeSTZillak » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:59 pm

Couldn't find a thread for this.
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Maritonic

Re: Child's Play (2019)

Postby Maritonic » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Not a fan of this. The Chucky series is still going, relatively well received, and with it's original creators. Moving forward with a TV series. The finances that went to this could have just gone towards the original creators to enhance the projects they're working on with the series. The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:09 pm

Maritonic wrote:Not a fan of this. The Chucky series is still going, relatively well received, and with it's original creators. Moving forward with a TV series. The finances that went to this could have just gone towards the original creators to enhance the projects they're working on with the series. The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Exactly my feelings. A remake or reboot of an otherwise stagnant property is one thing, but Child's Play has been and remains so entirely Don Mancini's baby, this just feels like a tacky exploitation of the property.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:24 pm

I'm perfectly fine with this, the franchise needed to go back to it's horror roots. Say what you want but Post - Bride the franchise went to shiit.

You could make an argument for the Reboots-in-name-only sequels, ya know the Netflix and straight to DVD ones? Those 2 I liked, but the second ones third act fell apart quicker than you could say "Remake."

The show is allowed to use F bombs, so I guess there's, that. I look forward to it as long as the doll is involved and not Chuckys conscious in that woman body.

The film is aiming to replicate the modern day craze with drones, technology, and bluetooth. But with horror being the overarching theme.

It could work extremely well if done correctly, and I'm looking forward to this way more than the generic horror remake of Pet Sematary.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Apprentice.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Curse and Cult of Chucky are the ones I'm referring to, yes. They've been more or less well liked entries all around. And more to a point, the franchise has always been in the hands of it's creator and this is a corporate move separating it from it's creator. It's a bit skeevy.

The technology angle is interesting, sure. But my understanding from the trailer, and interviews and such, is that this is not going to be Charles Lee Ray possessing the doll, as much as it's A.I. going haywire. Interesting, sure, but it's not what Chuck is as a character. It's a bit off.

Also, the Pet Sematary remake is an entirely different creature and doesn't really apply here.
Resized Image

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:35 pm

Maritonic wrote:Curse and Cult of Chucky are the ones I'm referring to, yes. They've been more or less well liked entries all around. And more to a point, the franchise has always been in the hands of it's creator and this is a corporate move separating it from it's creator. It's a bit skeevy.

The technology angle is interesting, sure. But my understanding from the trailer, and interviews and such, is that this is not going to be Charles Lee Ray possessing the doll, as much as it's A.I. going haywire. Interesting, sure, but it's not what Chuck is as a character. It's a bit off.

Also, the Pet Sematary remake is an entirely different creature and doesn't really apply here.

Yeah see, those 2 films are good/decent (Except the third act of Cult), although they didn't have a wide release.

I'm interested to see how they're going to incorporate personality into an AI. It could still be a spiritual possession of sorts, similar to how Insidious has demons take over objects, same thing, that'd be a cool angle. Maybe Charles Lee Rays spirit possesses the doll post mortem?

Child's Play was a serious film for the most part, Chucky didn't become the wisecracking jokester until what the 3rd film on?

Anyway it's fun knowing there's a new Feature length Chucky film finally hitting cinemas again while the classic gets to reign SyFy(Wasn't it SciFi back in the day?)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Apprentice.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:41 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Curse and Cult of Chucky are the ones I'm referring to, yes. They've been more or less well liked entries all around. And more to a point, the franchise has always been in the hands of it's creator and this is a corporate move separating it from it's creator. It's a bit skeevy.

Yeah see, those 2 films are good/decent (Except the third act of Cult), although they didn't have a wide release.

I'm interested to see how they're going to incorporate personality into an AI. It could still be a spiritual possession of sorts, similar to how Insidious has demons take over objects, same thing, that'd be a cool angle. Maybe Charles Lee Rays spirit possesses the doll post mortem?

Child's Play was a serious film for the most part, Chucky didn't become the wisecracking jokester until what the 3rd film on?

Anyway it's fun knowing there's a new Feature length Chucky film finally hitting cinemas again while the classic gets to reign SyFy(Wasn't it SciFi back in the day?)

Right, well those two films are the continuity the TV series is following. So it doesn't make sense to neglect the original creators, two well received films, just to make this. That's what Eabaker and I are saying.

There was a hint of humor since the first film, but there kind of has to be. You can be dark and serious with some comedic elements or wisecracking; I mean the original Nightmare on Elm Street is a serious take on Freddy but he still is a wisecracker. Nightmare and Child's Play both eventually went more comedy. I'd say Chucky went more comedy with Bride, personally. But, yes, the wisecracks did increase.

Yeah, it was SciFi they changed to SyFy a couple years ago I think it was now. I'm far more interested in that, seeing where the series is going, and supporting the original creators in this particular situation. I think if the franchise was dead in the water, this remake would make a bit more sense to me. I don't see a point in shutting everyone out to do your own cash in at this point of the franchise's lifespan.
Resized Image

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:46 pm

Maritonic wrote:There was a hint of humor since the first film, but there kind of has to be. You can be dark and serious with some comedic elements or wisecracking; I mean the original Nightmare on Elm Street is a serious take on Freddy but he still is a wisecracker. Nightmare and Child's Play both eventually went more comedy. I'd say Chucky went more comedy with Bride, personally. But, yes, the wisecracks did increase.

Yeah, it was SciFi they changed to SyFy a couple years ago I think it was now. I'm far more interested in that, seeing where the series is going, and supporting the original creators in this particular situation. I think if the franchise was dead in the water, this remake would make a bit more sense to me. I don't see a point in shutting everyone out to do your own cash in at this point of the franchise's lifespan.

Yeah I completely get where you're coming from, I think it's good to have 2 ongoing franchises going on, not too many other companies have thought of it (thoroughly).

But another thing is the rights issues, I think Universal owns the Child's Play title, but can't use Chucky in the title. They also can't use the same exact origin story, likely because Mancini and co. own it.

So I'm looking at this more as a refreshing new take on an old franchise, that's still going strong(ish).
Sith Apprentice.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:47 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
Maritonic wrote:There was a hint of humor since the first film, but there kind of has to be. You can be dark and serious with some comedic elements or wisecracking; I mean the original Nightmare on Elm Street is a serious take on Freddy but he still is a wisecracker. Nightmare and Child's Play both eventually went more comedy. I'd say Chucky went more comedy with Bride, personally. But, yes, the wisecracks did increase.

Yeah I completely get where you're coming from, I think it's good to have 2 ongoing franchises going on, not too many other companies have thought of it (thoroughly).

But another thing is the rights issues, I think Universal owns the Child's Play title, but can't use Chucky in the title. They also can't use the same exact origin story, likely because Mancini and co. own it.

So I'm looking at this more as a refreshing new take on an old franchise, that's still going strong(ish).

I think if things were being done with Mancini's blessing, and this was a little more "cooperative" I'd be okay with it. But I get a very weird vibe from the whole situation.
Resized Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:48 pm

As with most horror classics or Sci-Fi classics whether Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Alien, Predator Terminator or such. What more can you do with something like this without repeating the same thing?

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:56 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:As with most horror classics or Sci-Fi classics whether Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Alien, Predator Terminator or such. What more can you do with something like this without repeating the same thing?

Changing the origin in major ways is a good way to do something fresh.

The kills are completely different if the character is too.
Sith Apprentice.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:58 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:Changing the origin in major ways is a good way to do something fresh.

You mean making Chucky basically a Mini-Terminator?

Sure okay.

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:03 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Changing the origin in major ways is a good way to do something fresh.

You mean making Chucky basically a Mini-Terminator?

Sure okay.

That's basically what he was in the original. Except for the occasional F bomb maybe what twice?

He's creative with his kills either way. Especially now since he has the ability to manipulate and connect to any electronic

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Apprentice.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:05 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:That's basically what he was in the original. Except for the occasional F bomb maybe what twice?

He's creative with his kills either way. Especially now since he has the ability to manipulate and connect to any electronic

Last I checked original was basically a serial killers soul being placed into a doll.

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:06 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:That's basically what he was in the original. Except for the occasional F bomb maybe what twice?

Last I checked original was basically a serial killers soul being placed into a doll.

I meant in terms of personality.

He was first and foremost a killer.

The humor came in spurts.

Which can easily happen here
Sith Apprentice.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:11 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:As with most horror classics or Sci-Fi classics whether Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Alien, Predator Terminator or such. What more can you do with something like this without repeating the same thing?

That's why I think Don Mancini had the right idea in changing the tone of the storytelling with later entries, and looking for ways to explore new and different themes through the character.

Yes, I will defend Seed of Chucky to my grave.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:38 pm

I honestly don't know how I feel about this, I love Chucky... I enjoy the current series as is and look forward to the TV series. '

I mean right now this is probably my least anticipated Reboot. I mean the trailer didn't show enough to bring me on board. I'm hoping it's good but right now my feeling on this is more ''Meh''

They need to show a lot more especially with Chucky himself as that's going to really make or break this film.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:13 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

I meant in terms of personality.

He was first and foremost a killer.

The humor came in spurts.

Which can easily happen here

It's not so much about the humor as about the character motivation. Change that, and you have a different character.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Postby MikeSTZillak » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:21 pm

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:30 pm

HOLY poop!

This film officially has my full attention now... The dude who owned the Joker voice in Batman the animated series is taking Chucky on.., That's a HUGE win.

Return to “Monster Manor”