Brightburn (2019)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat May 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Currently watching Brightburn, it's pretty good so far, Brandon Breyer is a pretty clever alliteration

Added in 2 hours 34 minutes 41 seconds:
So I'm digging the Super Horrorverse it may have just started.

Brandon Breyer from BrightBurn is such a cool name, the film felt like exactly what I wanted it to be. The kills were done viciously, and what I'd expect from a Killer Clark Kent. I liked the parallels between that young girl and Lois Lane.

Spoiler:
Is it possible when they mention the differences between a Bee and a Wasp, it could be like a metaphor for the differences between a Hero and a Villain? I think Brandon's "Brypton" may have been a Hivemind, which is why we're introduced to that idea so early on, it leads me to believe that his world sent out numerous of these hive "babies" to multiple planets, and they all report right back to "Brypton". Sort've similar to Goku and the Saiyan race (Goku was sent to Earth to destroy it and report back to the Saiyans.).

The plot flowed nicely, one thing lead directly into the next, cohesively, not all jumpcutty like some modern films like to do. The score was great, I really felt the tension when that heavy hitting baseline(?) hit, similar to MoS, but darker and more brutal.

Now I'm expecting a few spinoffs...

Chase Verne/ (Bruce Wayne) - A billionaire rich kid in New York, whose parents die in an alley after seeing a film. Before the robber can run off(Or maybe Chase kills them because he wants to see the movie and they don't want to take him?!?), Chase brutally murders him with his dad's hand-me-down pocketknife. Later running away from the crime scene into the Bronx Zoo, where he has a temper tantrum and punches a glass, releasing tons of Bats that scare the everliving skreeonk outta him. Throughout the film he could murder people the American Psycho way, mixed with the typical "You're just a man in a mask". Maybe he could grapple gun a dude right through his throat, "batarang" shank someones eyes out, tons of material to work with there.

Dana Queen/ (Diana Prince) - This one is really up for debate on how they could play it off, would they do the fantastical Themysciera? Or maybe an ancient real life Amazonian group, where they discover a little girl, who they believe is the daughter of Zeus, before she goes all Brandon Breyer and just murders each and every one of them with her rope in gruesome ways, off a horseback, mass hangings, decapitations, you name it. By the end they realize the horrific truth that she's indestructible and immortal. She ends up setting her sights on the "Mans world".

Allen Wallace/ (The Flash) - This could go a million ways, since superspeed is basically the most broken power in existence. I'll leave this one up to the imagination since I kinda overdid it here but, ya get the idea.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sith Apprentice.

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:47 am

I actually had an idea for a. Brightburn Batman which would play on the uber prepared and gadget using Batman, by having a group of people ( butler, police commissioner, reporter, random criminals) trapped in the manor of a vengeful rich teenage prodigy. who blames them all for his parents's death, and has converted the mansion into a death trap filled maze.

in short, Saw in Wayne Manor

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Sun May 26, 2019 11:55 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I actually had an idea for a. Brightburn Batman which would play on the uber prepared and gadget using Batman, by having a group of people ( butler, police commissioner, reporter, random criminals) trapped in the manor of a vengeful rich teenage prodigy. who blames them all for his parents's death, and has converted the mansion into a death trap filled maze.

in short, Saw in Wayne Manor

Now this, this is what I want to see. What I said earlier could be like a flashback, dude could lure these people in, American Psycho style, then it plays out like Saw in Wayne Manor.
Sith Apprentice.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:49 am

Well since the fixing movie thread had been locked figured I'd transfer these here as Maritonic suggested we do with any thread related to said movie.

Brightburn was such a massive letdown and disappointment (I had high hopes for this movie given Gunn along with his brother and cousin were involved). Poorly execution and piss poor reason why Brandon suddenly goes evil. Here's how I would had done it.

-Extended by a half hour. Needed more build up and character development. I like fast paced entertaining movies but this was too rushed.
-Nature vs. Nurture. Instead of being triggered by his spaceship I would of had it that Brandon once he finds out about his newfound powers he tries to use them for good but keeps failing which every failure leads him more down into that path of madness and darkness without the help and support of his adoptive parents.
-Have Brandon spare his mother. A fate worse then death for her as an reminder how hard she had failed and how she's now lost everything (Her home, husband and the love from her son) she loved dearly and for every life or place Brandon destroys he brings to her as an reminder.

Otherwise some pretty nice kills. The gory effects were good but it wasn't enough to save this movie for me.

Another thing that made Brightburn bad was how much it grind my gears how in denial Tori was about her son being an obvious sociopath despite the signs and Kyle being the smart one to know something was up.

Brandon pushes her somewhat 200 pound husband against a wall, yet still defends him. Are you skreeonking kidding me?

eabaker wrote:Brightburn left a couple of threads dangling that really bugged me. It introduced and imperiled two female characters, then had people connected to them die, and then never revisited those characters, both of whom I had more emotional investment in than I did any of the leads.

According to Gunn there was gonna be a deleted post credits where Caitlyn was in a lab putting an robotic arm on her broken one looking very pissed but they cut it out as it was too obvious to leading to a sequel. Probably given they weren't sure how well the movie would had done. Probably could see that as an deleted scene or extended cut.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Monster Manor”