Brightburn (2019)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 am

So I know its already out on in some countries and others have seen it but here's the final trailer.

On another note my theater is apparently only playing this for one night on Thursday and already got my ticket. Hope it doesn't disappoint!

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Mon May 20, 2019 9:24 am

No reviews up yet. That's not a good sign.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Mon May 20, 2019 11:22 am

I usually only go to the theater like once or twice a month, and I'm already seeing Godzilla for sure so I'm not sure I'll make this one, but...it looks like a fun, messed up time.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue May 21, 2019 2:07 pm

I finally watched the movie.

I liked it but I didn't love it. A few things I thought they potentially missed out on and few things executed poorly.

On one hand I love fast paced movies that just comes and goes and the whole "Less is more" but this is an movie where I honestly felt should of had been a half hour longer so it could have gone more in-depth into Brandon's path of darkness.

Spoiler:
Also I felt there was an missed opportunity of a scene where the girl Caitlyn that Brandon had a crush on would had been nice to seen. After killing her mother saying he'd take care of it I would had love to had seen Brandon going back to her telling her he took care of her mother and scared and enraged that he killed her mother she rejects him emotionally hurting Brandon and killing her as well. An example of what I mean when they should had gone more in-depth on his path of darkness.

Another thing I'll say is I liked how unlike his mother until the very end that Brandon's father went slowly spiraling down to rejecting Brandon as his own son until deciding to try to kill him due to becoming the sociopath he's becoming but failing and getting himself killed in the process.

I like the nice touch of mystery to the space pod as well calling out to Brandon letting viewers decide whether it was his race getting him to destroy the world or his species were sociopaths like them enjoying to cause malice and destruction and before they were destroyed sent Brandon as their legacy to continue what they've always done.

I get where they were going with but a part of me still wished for the Michael Myers evil approach. It would had added more mystery for why he was sent leading to various fan theories.

All in all definitely picking up for sure at some point on disc despite some of the nitpicks. Definitely worth the watch.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ApexOversteer
Interpol Agent

Postby ApexOversteer » Wed May 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Kaiju no Kami wrote:No reviews up yet. That's not a good sign.

The RT TomatoMeter score has been going up... 68% at the moment, higher than Aladdin (59%) and Pikachu (66%)...

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Thu May 23, 2019 4:52 am

ApexOversteer wrote:

The RT TomatoMeter score has been going up... 68% at the moment, higher than Aladdin (59%) and Pikachu (66%)...

I still can't believe Pikachu is that high.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:31 am

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
ApexOversteer wrote:

Was it bad? I thought everyone loved it?
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

ApexOversteer
Interpol Agent

Postby ApexOversteer » Thu May 23, 2019 6:12 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:
ApexOversteer wrote:

I'm a bit too old to have hit the Pokemon game phenomenon just right, but I did enjoy a time in my 20's when getting really high and watching the TV show was a thing I did with friends and co-workers...

The movie is deeply weird, even for this franchise, but the nostalgia is real strong. I have to laugh at the people bitching about Ryan Reynolds' voice coming out of Pikachu, saying it doesn't fit and it's not "right"... yeah, no poop, that's kind of the point.

The TomatoMeter score is a bit higher than I would expect at 66%, but the Audience Score at 82% seems about right, given the nostalgia hit and the humor spectrum they manage to hit. The audience doesn't care that the mystery is weak and the constant repetition of plot elements for the benefit of the young'uns borders on the autistic, so they don't ding the movie for these things.

Returning to Brightburn...

Last night, at the time of my post Brightburn had 32 reviews, 20+/12- 68% Fresh. This morning, it's got 42 reviews, 26+/16- 62% Fresh.

If you look at the reviews and the reviewers there seems to be a line where the critics for general media, newspapers, national magazines, news media, etc are more likely to feel the film lacks a narrative beyond gore and the core premise of "what if Superboy was one of those kids", and online media critics, comics bloggers and movie pundits, critics with more of a sympathy for the comicbook tropes, are much more eager to say the movie does offer something new to the genre.
Last edited by ApexOversteer on Thu May 23, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Thu May 23, 2019 6:23 am

Brightburn is even above Aladdin? LMAO that's so sad. :lol:

And good too. This will hopefully convince Disney to give up on these soulless live-action cash grabs.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu May 23, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Thu May 23, 2019 6:25 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Brightburn is even above Aladdin? LMAO that's so sad. :lol:

And good too. This will hopefully convince Disney to give up on these soulless live-action cash grabs.

No, it won't. Disney will keep doing whatever Disney wants to do because Disney still makes a fortune.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

ApexOversteer
Interpol Agent

Postby ApexOversteer » Thu May 23, 2019 6:28 am

Maritonic wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Brightburn is even above Aladdin? LMAO that's so sad. :lol:

No, it won't. Disney will keep doing whatever Disney wants to do because Disney still makes a fortune.

Indeed. Aladdin will still open at #1, and will still make upwards of a billion at the box office...

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Thu May 23, 2019 7:23 am

Aladdin is sitting cozy at a 50 something percent right? If it continues to fall, and the GA continues to scrutinize the film. That could spell bad news bears and a repeat of Dumbo.

I haven't seen BB yet, looks like a good movie, hoping the themes are deeper than surface level.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu May 23, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Apprentice.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:57 am

Maritonic wrote:

I wouldn't say that. They stopped making Star Wars spinoffs after Solo.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Thu May 23, 2019 8:03 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

But not Star Wars films. We have another coming out, then three more already signed off for. Aladdin isn't going to fail, as much as some (myself included) may want it to. Especially considering Lion King is going to blow the box office apart, these remakes aren't going anywhere.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Thu May 23, 2019 8:04 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

The Star Wars movies are produced by LucasFilm, which is now a subsidiary of Walt Disney Studios, but which still has its own executives making decisions (much as the MCU is produced by Marvel Studios, also a subsidiary of Walt Disney Studios). Aladdin is a Walt Disney Pictures production. Walt Disney Pictures is also a subsidiary of Walt Disney Studios, and each of these subsidiaries has its own executives approving and managing productions.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Thu May 23, 2019 8:29 am

You know if HISHE does this movie. One I'd like to see is this.

Spoiler:
*Kyle gets ready to pull the trigger and then shoots hitting Brandon on the back of his head*

*Brandon turns around all sad and upset*

Kyle: Oh sorry Brandon! I didn't mean to. Damn rifle it apparently misfired...I saw a deer over there and tried to shoot it but accidentally shot you instead.

Brandon: Oh okay. That would explain what had happened. Its fine dad.

Kyle: Phew...Well now I know he's bullet proof. I'll have to find some other way...

And if they do a Villain Pub segment video like they did with Pennywise or on the HISHE of Brightburn alone I want to see Brandon at the Villain Pub being coped and related by Palpatine, Zod, Joker and Voldemort as well as making him feel belong and accepted. It then ends with Zod adopting Brandon given how alike they are and once more Brandon embraces his alien heritage and villainy but on a more positive note this time.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu May 23, 2019 9:48 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:
ApexOversteer wrote:

It’s very standard and mediocre aside from the immersive world and background Pokémon. 66% is appropriate I’d say.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Fri May 24, 2019 11:57 pm

Saw this yesterday.
Spoiler:
Only two really gorey scenes, which is less than I thought, but dang are they brutal. Seriously, that dude from Mom with is jaw like that? Holy poop.

Really loved that bit at the end with the one guy basically talking about a whole roster of Justice League of horror villains, a horror Aquaman, a horror Wonder Woman, etc. Would love for them to make a film on any of those, but I know that was just a sly wink kind of a scene and not sequel bait or whatever.

Pretty good for a horror superhero mash up. Frankly its actually something I've wanted to see for a while, I think there's a lot of potential in mixing up those two genres. Although I still really want to see a heroic superhero surviving in a horror movie type deal someday.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Monster X
Interpol Agent

Postby Monster X » Sat May 25, 2019 9:55 am

Good to know it's not bad. It won't be out in the UK for a while but I'll have to check it out now.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sat May 25, 2019 11:37 am

Another ideal HISHE moment for this film. :P

Spoiler:
*Brandon is hiding in his uncles closet who has noticed him as awaits as his uncle approaches*

Brandon: Wait a minute? What am I even doing? I have superhuman strength and speed for crying out loud. Why am I even struggling to hide from my uncle!? Plus I can fly too!

*Brandon flies off leaving a hole in his uncles roof who suddenly comes to the closet and sees nothing until seeing the hole in his roof*

Noah: What the heck!? What was that!?

*Merilyn comes in*

Merilyn: What was that noise!?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat May 25, 2019 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Monster Manor”