Brightburn (2019)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9737
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Brightburn (2019)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:49 pm

Strangely there was a thread on this movie but for some reason disappeared. I figured I'd bring it back.



Pretty much Superman if he were like Michael Myers.

That said I really like the premise and much look forward to it (Unless I find out a dog or dogs die in it). One thing I hope for this movie is they keep the reason for being sent as mystery that way it lets you decide.

1. Vanguard of an alien invasion having been sent to destroy civilization so by the time they arrive humanity will be too weak to fight back.
2. Tradition that his species does with their children. Sending them to other planets to take over.
3. His parents knew what he would become and so sent him to another planet to prevent him from destroying theirs.

Also as unlikely as it is I kind of hope overtime as he starts showing his sinister ways. His appearance degrades more into an alien like appearance say insectoid or reptilian along with sharp teeth.

I'm also hoping it ends in an downbeat which I think this is a movie where such an ending IMO would work where he destroys civilization as we know it. I want no matter how hard his parents try to love and help him try to change his ways he's always going to be evil. Nature beating nurture.

Though one thing I'm concerned about is as the trailer seems to imply the spaceship is messing with his mind. I really hope that's not the case as that'd ruin the movie for me due to me wanting Brightburn to be as I stated above just naturally evil.

User avatar
The One and Only
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 pm
Location: Jamestown, PA

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby The One and Only » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:19 am

Cautiously looking forward to it. Surprised not see more about it coming out. Thinking Sony and James Gunn might be trying to keep too much from coming out and spoiling the surprise. Likewise GodzillaFan 1990's I'm hoping the kid isn't shown killing puppies or dogs in the course of the flick either. Another theory I'm throwing out there is that the kid might've been dumped here by a group of aliens. A discarded experiment like the worms from Night of the Creeps. Although the transforming into something else, like a bug is in the realm of possibility. We catch some glimpses of something like a mosquito's proboscis ,or something like the jaws, tongue on the Reapers from BLADE II .
Image
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby Grievous » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:05 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Strangely there was a thread on this movie but for some reason disappeared.

Yeah...what's up with that?

Although I have noticed some of my posts have been disappearing as well...

Image

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I figured I'd bring it back.

Nice work.

I personally am very much looking forward to seeing this film...although
hopefully its well written & not just an excuse to have a "Superman Snuff
film" with tonnes of pointless violence & gore.

I am slightly worried with it being a Sony film...because we all know how
pathetic & desperate they are these days.

No.

I'm never going to stop stating that.
Last edited by Grievous on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9737
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:44 pm

Grievous wrote:I am slightly worried with it being a Sony film...because we all know how
pathetic & desperate they are these days.

No.

I'm never going to stop stating that.

I wouldn't worry honestly. Sure the concept is based on Superman but as a whole this is an original film.

Sony tends to only suck when it comes to movies based on media (Granted with some exceptions like Raimi's Spider-Man 1 & 2 as well as Into the Spider-Verse) otherwise movies like The Shallows and Only the Brave I really enjoyed.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby Grievous » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:56 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Sony tends to only suck when it comes to movies based on media (Granted with some exceptions like Raimi's Spider-Man 1 & 2 as well as Into the Spider-Verse) otherwise movies like The Shallows and Only the Brave I really enjoyed.

Oh...I'm not talking about the Sony of the past...only the Sony from
the last few years. They just reek of desperation...like they are more
focused on having their own franchises than actually making good films.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9737
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:22 am



Please for the love of god. Please let there be no dogs in this. I want to see this so badly. I love the concept.

Also I love that Brandon skreeonks up one of his bullies badly. Nice change for once and the father jumping to disown his adoptive son.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5691
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:32 am

I skreeonking love this film, this trailer, this concept, this idea, this cinematography, the CGI. All of it.

I loved Chronicle and I'm sure I'll love this. I love films that show what happens when normal everyday people gain powers.

Because I know if I had powers I'd probably become a Super Villain too lmao.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9737
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:41 am

This might sound pretty edgy but I honestly hope rather then crushing the girls hand. He actually tore off her hand or better yet upper arm. I just want this to be hardcore R as possible given the concept of evil Superman not trying to hold anything back.

I also hope they don't cut away from Brandon skreeonking up his bullies hand or upper arm. That'd be so cliche. As said don't hold anything back.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5691
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:This might sound pretty edgy but I honestly hope rather then crushing the girls hand. He actually tore off her hand or better yet upper arm. I just want this to be hardcore R as possible given the concept of evil Superman not trying to hold anything back.

I also hope they don't cut away from Brandon skreeonking up his bullies hand or upper arm. That'd be so cliche. As said don't hold anything back.

Hopefully no jumpcuts from him ripping it off --> Kids reactions --> Principal office, Since it's a horror movie I fully expect to see some gore, especially from a no holding back Superman.

But it's also a kid so idk if that would change anything, buuuut then again it's not like James Gunn doesn't like to push the bar with kids anyway amirite?


I also love that last scene where he's standing in the window frame saying "I want to do good mom. I really do."
It kinda resembles her broken image of who she wanted her son to be. While also resembling a comic book panel.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6057
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby Maritonic » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:46 am

_JNavs_ wrote:buuuut then again it's not like James Gunn doesn't like to push the bar with kids anyway amirite?


Image
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9737
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:49 am

_JNavs_ wrote:Hopefully no jumpcuts from him ripping it off --> Kids reactions --> Principal office, Since it's a horror movie I fully expect to see some gore, especially from a no holding back Superman.

But it's also a kid so idk if that would change anything, buuuut then again it's not like James Gunn doesn't like to push the bar with kids anyway amirite?


I also love that last scene where he's standing in the window frame saying "I want to do good mom. I really do."
It kinda resembles her broken image of who she wanted her son to be. While also resembling a comic book panel.

I mean just think of the possibilities of not holding back like Brandon melting someone to the bone with his heat vision. This is why a Superman gone evil is scary as skreeonk.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5691
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:54 am

Maritonic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:buuuut then again it's not like James Gunn doesn't like to push the bar with kids anyway amirite?


Image


Image

Added in 5 minutes 33 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Hopefully no jumpcuts from him ripping it off --> Kids reactions --> Principal office, Since it's a horror movie I fully expect to see some gore, especially from a no holding back Superman.

But it's also a kid so idk if that would change anything, buuuut then again it's not like James Gunn doesn't like to push the bar with kids anyway amirite?


I also love that last scene where he's standing in the window frame saying "I want to do good mom. I really do."
It kinda resembles her broken image of who she wanted her son to be. While also resembling a comic book panel.

I mean just think of the possibilities of not holding back like Brandon melting someone to the bone with his heat vision. This is why a Superman gone evil is scary as skreeonk.

Or literally sending his dad to the sun from here to there in 5 seconds flat.

Or when he flies into the Police officer in front of the house, he wails on him into multiple trees in a similar POV to what Superman did to Zod in MOS, except the cop isn't superhuman so we see him literally get turned to bloody mush
Image
Image
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:22 am

_JNavs_ wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:buuuut then again it's not like James Gunn doesn't like to push the bar with kids anyway amirite?


Image


Image



Image

Edit: By the way, why is this in the Monster Manor thread? Kid's an alien, but he's not a monster-monster. Should be in Media if you ask me.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9737
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:44 pm

As said depending if no dogs die in this movie (Or as long as its off-screen). I still much look forward to this movie though a part of me is disappointed as the second trailer seems to indicate influences in his life is what lead to Brandon becoming evil and a villain. I feel it was an missed opportunity to basically make him being Superman but if he were Michael Myers and just naturally evil no matter how much you nurture or love him. I think that would had made things much scarier especially if he never spoke or barely at most.

This also would had helped give out mystery more for why he was sent in the first place letting viewers decide why.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3234
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:47 pm

This has caught my interest, I also love me some Elizabeth Banks so that just makes it all the better.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11263
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby eabaker » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:15 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:As said depending if no dogs die in this movie (Or as long as its off-screen). I still much look forward to this movie though a part of me is disappointed as the second trailer seems to indicate influences in his life is what lead to Brandon becoming evil and a villain. I feel it was an missed opportunity to basically make him being Superman but if he were Michael Myers and just naturally evil no matter how much you nurture or love him. I think that would had made things much scarier especially if he never spoke or barely at most.

This also would had helped give out mystery more for why he was sent in the first place letting viewers decide why.


Couldn't disagree more. What you're proposing would seem to completely undercut the intent of the story, which is to examine the potential dangers of anyone having superpowers. Take the human element (so to speak) out of it, and the story ceases to really be about anything.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
ApexOversteer
Interpol Agent
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby ApexOversteer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:22 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:As said depending if no dogs die in this movie (Or as long as its off-screen). I still much look forward to this movie though a part of me is disappointed as the second trailer seems to indicate influences in his life is what lead to Brandon becoming evil and a villain. I feel it was an missed opportunity to basically make him being Superman but if he were Michael Myers and just naturally evil no matter how much you nurture or love him. I think that would had made things much scarier especially if he never spoke or barely at most.

This also would had helped give out mystery more for why he was sent in the first place letting viewers decide why.


When he's pushed to the ground by the ring of kids, his melon hits the ground real hard... makes me wonder if he starts out one thing, and becomes another...
Image

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9737
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:22 pm

eabaker wrote:Couldn't disagree more. What you're proposing would seem to completely undercut the intent of the story, which is to examine the potential dangers of anyone having superpowers. Take the human element (so to speak) out of it, and the story ceases to really be about anything.

To each their own then. I feel becoming evil because you were bullied or an outcast is honestly generic and cliche that's been done already. The Halloween remake for one already did that.

That way I feel by doing the whole Michael Myers approach it gives out more eerie mystery to it such as maybe this is in his species nature hence the theories viewers could come up with like being the vanguard of an alien invasion or tradition his species does by sending their own children to other planets to take over.

Plus the potential that overtime as he begins showing his sinister ways the more his appearance degrades into a more alien-like appearance and maybe even something creepy as The One and Only proposed.

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10300
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby Living Corpse » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:50 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:I also love that last scene where he's standing in the window frame saying "I want to do good mom. I really do."
It kinda resembles her broken image of who she wanted her son to be. While also resembling a comic book panel.


It's possible that "doing good" for him means removing what his race see's is an infesstation (others races such as us) to make the planet free real estate for his kind.
Image

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11263
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Brightburn (2019)

Postby eabaker » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:05 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:That way I feel by doing the whole Michael Myers approach it gives out more eerie mystery to it such as maybe this is in his species nature hence the theories viewers could come up with like being the vanguard of an alien invasion or tradition his species does by sending their own children to other planets to take over.


There's a xenophobic aspect to that idea that really doesn't appeal to me (especially in our current cultural climate).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.


Return to “Monster Manor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests