Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema

Postby Terasawa » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:23 pm

mikelcho wrote:The Invisible Braggart (I guess I'll have to use that name for now, even though I still don't know if it's the right English translation here)

The Japanese title is「透明天狗」(tōmei tengu). When the title came to my attention a few years ago, and not knowing anything about the film, I ran "tengu" through Google Translate and got "braggart." According to Jisho.org, it does look like that's a valid translation.

That said...

"Tengu" are actually a type of yokai I wasn't particularly familiar with at the time. In fact, the number one translation at Jisho's database is "tengu; long-nosed goblin". These guys are probably familiar to most western fans of Japanese culture. A tengu mask (or something quite like it) is seen during the Odo Island ritual in the 1954 Godzilla.

I still have not seen Daiei's "Tōmei Tengu". The plot synopsis offered in the CD Japan link describes an invisible killer who seems to brag about his crimes to authorities. That could be a braggart. Or he could be a more mythical tengu. I just don't know. If the latter, a better translation would be either "The Invisible Goblin," but "The Invisible Tengu" is probably the safest title considering I know almost nothing about the movie.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks, Terasawa, for the new info. I guess "Braggart" will have to do...for now.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:22 am

Well, I got the new flyer yesterday.

So far, no Japanese tokusatsu films, Daiei or otherwise.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Sun May 31, 2020 4:04 pm

You know, I have a sneaking suspicion that's it's going to be a lo-o-o-o-o-ng time before we get anything else released here.

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:24 am

I just got the latest flyer today.

Still no Japanese tokusatsu films, though.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Terasawa » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:52 am

Maybe instead of continually posting that there are no new films you should just update the thread if they ever do.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:00 pm

Terasawa wrote:Maybe instead of continually posting that there are no new films you should just update the thread if they ever do.
Oh, I always do.

I just want everyone to know I'm keeping on top of things. The only thing that's being released by this company now is the flyers, and they're only twice-a-year releases (I think).

Return to “Monster Manor”