Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema

Postby Terasawa » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:36 pm

mikelcho wrote:Somewhere in here (I think) someone mentioned that Daiei made four invisible man films. Two of them I already have, thanks to Sinister Cinema, but I think that one, maybe both, of the other two involved an invisible samurai (or maybe more than one).

If anyone could tell me what the names of these two films are and when they were released, that would be great! Then I could see if SC has them in their catalog and then order them for my collection of Daiei tokusatsu films of the 20th century (specifically, 1949-1999 and involving kaiju, seijin and kaijin (i.e., monsters, aliens and mutants/mutates). Yokai (ghosts), other than the Yokai Monsters trilogy, I don't need or want).

Please reply a.s.a.p.. Thanks.

I know very little about these films, as I have never seen them, but they're Daiei films with "Invisible" in the title and they do seem to be about invisible men.

IMDb: Tomei Tengu (1960) - "The Invisible Braggart" (Not sure of the translation here.)
IMDb: Tomei Kenshi (1970) - "The Invisible Swordsman"

Both are available individually (and affordably) as part of DeAgostini's "Daiei Special Effects Movie DVD Collection:"

In case anyone is unfamiliar with these DeAgostini releases, the Toho ones at least were really cool. (I have not had my hands on any of the Daiei volumes.) You get a barebones DVD packaged with a magazine (a few pages' worth anyway) about the featured film. All of this is in Japanese, of course, and the films aren't subtitled, but it's a nice package for the low price.

Truthfully I'm not anything close to an expert on Daiei's genre films, so there may yet be more similar films produced by Daiei. These are simply the two that I was aware of beyond the more familiar "The Invisible Man Appears" (1949) and "The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly" (1957).
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:13 pm

Terasawa wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Somewhere in here (I think) someone mentioned that Daiei made four invisible man films. Two of them I already have, thanks to Sinister Cinema, but I think that one, maybe both, of the other two involved an invisible samurai (or maybe more than one).

If anyone could tell me what the names of these two films are and when they were released, that would be great! Then I could see if SC has them in their catalog and then order them for my collection of Daiei tokusatsu films of the 20th century (specifically, 1949-1999 and involving kaiju, seijin and kaijin (i.e., monsters, aliens and mutants/mutates). Yokai (ghosts), other than the Yokai Monsters trilogy, I don't need or want).

Please reply a.s.a.p.. Thanks.

I know very little about these films, as I have never seen them, but they're Daiei films with "Invisible" in the title and they do seem to be about invisible men.

IMDb: Tomei Tengu (1960) - "The Invisible Braggart" (Not sure of the translation here.)
IMDb: Tomei Kenshi (1970) - "The Invisible Swordsman"

Both are available individually (and affordably) as part of DeAgostini's "Daiei Special Effects Movie DVD Collection:"

In case anyone is unfamiliar with these DeAgostini releases, the Toho ones at least were really cool. (I have not had my hands on any of the Daiei volumes.) You get a barebones DVD packaged with a magazine (a few pages' worth anyway) about the featured film. All of this is in Japanese, of course, and the films aren't subtitled, but it's a nice package for the low price.

Truthfully I'm not anything close to an expert on Daiei's genre films, so there may yet be more similar films produced by Daiei. These are simply the two that I was aware of beyond the more familiar "The Invisible Man Appears" (1949) and "The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly" (1957).
Thanks a lot! I think that these are the two that I'm looking for. I hope that Sinister Cinema also releases these as well.

By the way, according to IMDb, the title of the first film is The Invisible Demon.

Also, the source that I saw said that Daiei only made four invisible man films, so these two here are, more likely than not, the ones that I'm looking for.

Finally, what's the prices for these two in American dollars? Are they both relatively reasonable-say, in the 20s or 30s? And do I have to get them directly from Japan, or can I get them here in R1?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:51 pm

Terasawa, you haven't answered my questions. Could you please do so?

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Just click the link to either of the CDJapan links I provided. You can either convert the yen amounts to U.S. dollars (or whatever currency you use) with a Google search or you can use the tool they provide on the product pages (where you can even calculate the shipping costs to your country). Likewise, there's nothing difficult about Googling "The Invisible Demon R1 DVD" or variations of that and seeing what hits you get.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Okay, thanks.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:25 pm

I just received the last Sinister Cinema catalog today.

The founder and owner, Greg Luce, is retiring from the full-time operation of Sinister Cinema and Armchair Fiction early in 2020. In February or March 2020 he'll make his final decision.

As far as the films that I've listed are concerned, again, do with this information what you will. However, this list seems to be all of them - at least for now.

I think, however, that that's the end of it once and for all.

UPDATE: I was wrong (see below).
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Tue May 28, 2019 8:32 pm

I talked to one of the Sinister Cinema people and she said that Greg Luce'll probably be available to talk to on June 1st.

I'm going to talk to him and see if I can get any more information about any more releases.

Wish me luck.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:16 am

Just put in four more films in the list on page 1!

It seems that there's still a lot of dance in the old dame yet!
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:28 pm

I just talked to one of the Sinister Cinema staff today and she said that it's highly unlikely that they'll get The Invisible Demon (or Braggart) and The Invisible Swordsman on their roster of films in time for Greg Luce's retirement.

The first flyer of the year after the last catalog has just come in the mail today. There'll probably be just one more flyer after that and then it's all over as far as new releases...or so I've been told.

So much for completing my 20th century collection of Daiei tokusatsu films (1949-1999). It looks like Rainbow Man (1949) will be the end when (and if) I can get it.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:04 am

I just called Sinister Cinema today and they're definitely not getting the two Daiei invisible man films that I wanted.

Also, they're not getting the Yokai Monsters trilogy, either.

I guess that Rainbow Man really is the last one that I need. I'll let you all know when I get it.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:02 pm

I just ordered Rainbow Man today! Boy, it sure took me long enough!
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:03 pm

I just got the second SC flyer for this year and it had one more Japanese film.

According to the last catalog, next February Greg Luce, the owner of the company, will make his final decision whether to keep it alive or not.

I think that I can safely presume that the list of tokusatsu films on page 1 is finally complete.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:09 pm

I've only got one question about the list on page 1: which studios made which films?

I know that at least some of them are from either Daiei or Shintoho, but that's all that I know.

Can anyone please help me here?
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:30 am

I just got Rainbow Man today! Believe it or not, it's a horror film!

Finally, my collection of Daiei tokusatsu kaiju/seijin/kaijin films of the 20th century (1949-1999) is now semi-complete (except for The Invisible Demon (1960) (or The Invisible Braggart, I still don't know which one is right) and The Invisible Swordsman (1970), but Sinister Cinema most likely isn't going to get them by the end).
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:45 pm

Just wanted to let you all know once again that the end is coming up soon, so if anyone wants any or all these films, you have until either February 2020 or March 2020 to buy them.

After that, who knows...?

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:19 pm

Today I got a duplicate copy of the last SC catalog. That's it, nothing else.

I guess Greg Luce is trying to get rid of excess copies? I don't know.

Anyway, just thought I'd keep you all posted here. I'll let you know if anything else comes up.

Return to “Monster Manor”