Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Terasawa
JXSDF Technician

Re: Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema

Postby Terasawa » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:36 pm

mikelcho wrote:Somewhere in here (I think) someone mentioned that Daiei made four invisible man films. Two of them I already have, thanks to Sinister Cinema, but I think that one, maybe both, of the other two involved an invisible samurai (or maybe more than one).

If anyone could tell me what the names of these two films are and when they were released, that would be great! Then I could see if SC has them in their catalog and then order them for my collection of Daiei tokusatsu films of the 20th century (specifically, 1949-1999 and involving kaiju, seijin and kaijin (i.e., monsters, aliens and mutants/mutates). Yokai (ghosts), other than the Yokai Monsters trilogy, I don't need or want).

Please reply a.s.a.p.. Thanks.

I know very little about these films, as I have never seen them, but they're Daiei films with "Invisible" in the title and they do seem to be about invisible men.

IMDb: Tomei Tengu (1960) - "The Invisible Braggart" (Not sure of the translation here.)
IMDb: Tomei Kenshi (1970) - "The Invisible Swordsman"

Both are available individually (and affordably) as part of DeAgostini's "Daiei Special Effects Movie DVD Collection:"

In case anyone is unfamiliar with these DeAgostini releases, the Toho ones at least were really cool. (I have not had my hands on any of the Daiei volumes.) You get a barebones DVD packaged with a magazine (a few pages' worth anyway) about the featured film. All of this is in Japanese, of course, and the films aren't subtitled, but it's a nice package for the low price.

Truthfully I'm not anything close to an expert on Daiei's genre films, so there may yet be more similar films produced by Daiei. These are simply the two that I was aware of beyond the more familiar "The Invisible Man Appears" (1949) and "The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly" (1957).
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
Yin-Yang Master

Re: Daiei Films and Sinister Cinema

Postby mikelcho » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:13 pm

Terasawa wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Somewhere in here (I think) someone mentioned that Daiei made four invisible man films. Two of them I already have, thanks to Sinister Cinema, but I think that one, maybe both, of the other two involved an invisible samurai (or maybe more than one).

If anyone could tell me what the names of these two films are and when they were released, that would be great! Then I could see if SC has them in their catalog and then order them for my collection of Daiei tokusatsu films of the 20th century (specifically, 1949-1999 and involving kaiju, seijin and kaijin (i.e., monsters, aliens and mutants/mutates). Yokai (ghosts), other than the Yokai Monsters trilogy, I don't need or want).

Please reply a.s.a.p.. Thanks.

I know very little about these films, as I have never seen them, but they're Daiei films with "Invisible" in the title and they do seem to be about invisible men.

IMDb: Tomei Tengu (1960) - "The Invisible Braggart" (Not sure of the translation here.)
IMDb: Tomei Kenshi (1970) - "The Invisible Swordsman"

Both are available individually (and affordably) as part of DeAgostini's "Daiei Special Effects Movie DVD Collection:"

In case anyone is unfamiliar with these DeAgostini releases, the Toho ones at least were really cool. (I have not had my hands on any of the Daiei volumes.) You get a barebones DVD packaged with a magazine (a few pages' worth anyway) about the featured film. All of this is in Japanese, of course, and the films aren't subtitled, but it's a nice package for the low price.

Truthfully I'm not anything close to an expert on Daiei's genre films, so there may yet be more similar films produced by Daiei. These are simply the two that I was aware of beyond the more familiar "The Invisible Man Appears" (1949) and "The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly" (1957).
Thanks a lot! I think that these are the two that I'm looking for. I hope that Sinister Cinema also releases these as well.

By the way, according to IMDb, the title of the first film is The Invisible Demon.

Also, according to August Ragone, the English-language title for the 1949 film is Enter the Invisible Man. And the source that I saw said that Daiei only made four invisible man films, so these two here are, more likely than not, the ones that I'm looking for.

Finally, what's the prices for these two in American dollars? Are they both relatively reasonable-say, in the 20s or 30s? And do I have to get them directly from Japan, or can I get them here in R1?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Monster Manor”