5 Faces of Hell (anthology horror movie)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

5 Faces of Hell (anthology horror movie)

Post by eabaker »

I know it's a little weird to be starting a thread about my own movie, but it's relevant to this part of the forum, and I'm never gonna get the word out there if I don't do a little self-promotion. :) So, here we go...

For our MFA thesis film, my wife (Jennifer Cooper) and I are producing an anthology horror feature called 5 Faces of Hell. It consists of five sequences, as well as a wrap-around story that connects the leads of the segments (structurally it's like some of the Amicus horror anthologies, especially Dr. Terror's House of Horrors [1965] and Tales from the Crypt [1972]).

We chose the anthology approach in part because it has allowed us to take on different duties for different segments. So, we have each gotten to do some writing, some directing, some shooting, some editing, etc. Also, it's letting us display our range in terms of genre and style. Each of the five segments is in a different sub-genre of horror, and each employs a different visual style, usually drawing from a particular era in horror film history.

We wrapped principal photography in mid-July. We've got a handful of pickups still to shoot, but at this point we're primarily focused on post-production (everything is at least at rough cut stage, some of the segments are now fine cuts, and one is very near to picture lock). We'll be starting a crowdfunding campaign soon to try to finance some of the post expenses (mostly paying for a composer and a good re-recording mixer) and festival submission costs.

We haven't yet cut together a trailer for the full feature, but we have short teasers for each of the five segments. I'm not going to post them all at once. Instead, I'll try to do about one per day for the next few days.

So, to start with, here's the trailer for the first segment, "Charlotte on the Rebound." This is our take on the psycho thriller genre.

Directed by Evan A. Baker, written by Jennifer Cooper, director of photography Jennifer Cooper

Added in 34 minutes 7 seconds:
And here's the trailer for segment number two, "Rappaccini's Formula." This is our riff on body horror.

Directed by Evan A. Baker, written by Evan A. Baker and Justin Bloch, director of photography Jennifer Cooper

Added in 59 minutes 51 seconds:
And now the trailer for our third segment, "Conversations with Emily." Here our big influence was gothic horror.

Written and directed by Jennifer Cooper, director of photography Evan A. Baker

Added in 2 hours 57 minutes 20 seconds:
Up next is the trailer for segment four, "Don't Demonize Daniel!" This was our approach to a satanic cult movie.

Written and directed by Justin Bloch, director of photography Evan A. Baker

Added in 23 hours 50 minutes 50 seconds:
The fifth and final segment is "Lisa the Vampire," which is, obviously, a vampire story. We went for a 70s aesthetic with this one.

Directed by Evan A. Baker, written by Evan A. Baker and Jennifer Cooper, director of photography Jennifer Cooper

Added in 45 minutes 31 seconds:
And my wife has now assembled an unofficial music video/extended trailer for the full feature!

Last edited by eabaker on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: 5 Faces of Hell (anthology horror movie)

Post by mikelcho »

I'm sold! I haven't seen a good anthology movie since Creepshow, and what I saw here tempts me. Will this be available in stores in a Blu-ray/ DVD combo?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote:I'm sold! I haven't seen a good anthology movie since Creepshow, and what I saw here tempts me. Will this be available in stores in a Blu-ray/ DVD combo?
Sorry, I just saw this post! Thank you!

We don't have a distributor yet, and probably won't have one for awhile, but our ultimate goal is a Blue-ray/DVD release and/or streaming distribution through Netflix, Amazon or Hulu.

In more immediate news, our website is now up and running, featuring a new trailer:

http://www.5facesofhell.com

Added in 4 hours 50 minutes 8 seconds:
The crowdfunding page for our post production is now up!

Donations would be appreciated, but it's just as valuable if you simply share the page on social media! Please and thank you, friends!
https://www.seedandspark.com/fund/5-fa ... hell#story

Added in 10 days 3 hours 54 minutes 45 seconds:
New trailer up for the new year!

Added in 1 month 3 days 21 hours 7 minutes 34 seconds:
This weekend we put together a new trailer for segment #3, "Conversations with Emily."

Last edited by eabaker on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

How goes it with this film? Any progress?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote:How goes it with this film? Any progress?
Thanks for checking in! We're still eking our way through post production. Lots of little VFX things that need to be handled, and we're having to get the done by friends who are willing to work very cheap, which means working around their schedules. But we're close!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks for the info! I hope that I can get this film soon!
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I noticed that it says that the Adobe Flash Player is blocked, so I can't see the trailers. Can this be fixed?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote:I noticed that it says that the Adobe Flash Player is blocked, so I can't see the trailers. Can this be fixed?
I posted about this issue in Comments and Suggestions and never got a reply.

Maybe this weekend I'll upload the trailers to YouTube, which TK plays a lot more consistently.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

eabaker wrote:I posted about this issue in Comments and Suggestions and never got a reply.

Maybe this weekend I'll upload the trailers to YouTube, which TK plays a lot more consistently.
So I just got a security warning from Google that we were using outdated, exploitable plugins.

I was confused as we replaced the Toho Kingdom Toons to be streaming based rather than Flash... but it appears that across everything on the site, this is the last one that is still using Flash and causing the warnings. ;-)

So if you could upload them to a streaming service and replace them on this thread that would be great.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Arbok wrote:
eabaker wrote:I posted about this issue in Comments and Suggestions and never got a reply.

So I just got a security warning from Google that we were using outdated, exploitable plugins.

I was confused as we replaced the Toho Kingdom Toons to be streaming based rather than Flash... but it appears that across everything on the site, this is the last one that is still using Flash and causing the warnings. ;-)

So if you could upload them to a streaming service and replace them on this thread that would be great.
Yeah, I'll delete the current links and get them uploaded to YouTube.

Okay, Vimeo links have all been replaced with YouTube.

Also, there are a few alternate trailers I'm surprised I hadn't posted here before. First up, a very short teaser for the full feature:

Plus an alternate trailer for "Charlotte on the Rebound":

And an alternate for "Conversations with Emily":

Last edited by eabaker on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Finally got to look at the trailers again and I so want this film but good!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Thanks! Believe me, when we have a finished version, you'll be among the first to know!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Oh shit! I didn't know about this! When I get home I'll be sure to watch the trailers.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Hi again!

I wonder if you could tell me how the film is progessing and if you see a solution in sight?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote:Hi again!

I wonder if you could tell me how the film is progessing and if you see a solution in sight?
Really, at this point, the main thing the needs to happen is my wife and I need to get back to focusing on it. We moved recently, I've been taking on a lot of other projects, and we've let it fall by the wayside. No excuses, it's just us not giving it the attention it deserves.

In fact, thanks for riding me about it a bit! I appreciate anything that might help kick me back into gear!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Oh, you're more than welcome, believe me!
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Any news on this film? Is it done yet?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:04 pm Any news on this film? Is it done yet?
We've picture-locked, but still have a ton of audio work to do.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

eabaker wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:05 pm
mikelcho wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:04 pm Any news on this film? Is it done yet?
We've picture-locked, but still have a ton of audio work to do.
Thanks for the update! I don't want to miss this one!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Hey guys, what's the scoop on this film?