Stephen King ''IT'' Remake/Re-adaptation

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Re: Stephen King ''IT'' Remake/Re-adaptation

Postby Showa Gyaos » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:52 pm

I'm just going to make this short and sweet by saying that I saw IT, and I have to say the movie was everything I could have hoped for. I felt DREAD. Horror films rarely make me feel that way anymore.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Gawdziller
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Gawdziller » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:27 pm

Showa Gyaos wrote:I felt DREAD. Horror films rarely make me feel that way anymore.

Personally I feel dread every time I see Adam Sandler has a new straight to Netflix movie out.

One thing I'll give this movie is that the child actors are really good and sometimes they can even sell the shitty "we say bad words and make sex jokes every sentence because it's...edgy, I guess" dialogue that's shoved in their mouths. I liked that the film came off as a horror take on Stand By Me (also Stephen King, but I don't read his books because I find his characters often repugnant to the point I can't finish the story) and the comradery was usually where it shined.

The horror was hit and miss. I laughed hard early and often at many instances where a character would simply look in a general direction and you'd hear a loud screeching noise. Then every two minutes is more loud screeching noises, and I started to get a headache. Normally this is the sign of a hack trying to unnerve the audience with a cheap gimmick but there are times that the imagery is really solid and would be unnerving on its own. Now I'm just sad instead of scared because it's been cheapened.

It was...good. I guess I can't call it a bad movie, and it worked more often than it didn't so it was better than "just fine." It feels like it gimped itself to be a startle horror that I would forget as soon as I exited the theater as opposed to an everlasting horror that I took with me afterward. So a good movie that I don't really care about.
TEAM (Gareth) EDWARD(s)!
Legion1979 wrote:Oh yes, thank you for linking to a page with nothing but Japanese text. That was so damn helpful.
Brody wrote:I don't approve of any kind of sex that involves male genitalia
gzilla46 wrote: I've come up with WAY worse ideas than this.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:34 am

The reviews for this are pretty solid. Right now its at 90% on RT. Its also tracking to have the biggest opening weekend ever for a September release.

ShinGi
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ShinGi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:51 am

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:The reviews for this are pretty solid. Right now its at 90% on RT. Its also tracking to have the biggest opening weekend ever for a September release.

Wouldn't be surprised if this end up being the most successful horror film at the BO

SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager

Postby SpaceG92 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 am

Showa Gyaos wrote:I'm just going to make this short and sweet by saying that I saw IT, and I have to say the movie was everything I could have hoped for. I felt DREAD. Horror films rarely make me feel that way anymore.

This sums it up for me as well.

From the directing to the fantastic acting from everyone involved. Absolutely blew me away!

Spoiler:
THAT PROJECTOR SCENE!

ShinGi
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ShinGi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:08 pm

Loved the films, Skarsgard was amazing as Pennywise and the kids were great

XxComablack1937xX
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:28 pm

ShinGi wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if this end up being the most successful horror film at the BO

IT had a 13.5 million Thursday night showing even beating Deadpool.

IT is current;y on track to a 80$ to 100$ million opening, 75$ million would be the absolute lowest.... That is massive an make the highest grossing Horror film.

GodzillaFan1990's
E.S.P.Spy

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Holy skreeonk It beat Deadpool on its premiere!? At this point it'll probably beat its opening weekend.

If a movie tops Deadpool in terms of the box office that has to mean it must be good on top of the positive and high reviews the movie had been getting.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:49 pm

This was a genuinely good movie. I loved it. It wasn't truly scary, but it was certainly disturbing. But it was also heartwarming and funny. The kids sold the movie. I think Ritchie, Bev, and Ben were my favorites. But the others were great as well. As for Pennywise, not only was he scary and thrilling, but he was so dynamic. He was utilized in so many great ways. I'll absolutely be buying this movie when it comes out on Blu-ray.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Kwaidan

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:29 pm

Couldn't help but laugh at all the times you said it in the first couple sentences. I know IT wasn't intentional but I still couldn't help but laugh.
Rocker, Dinosaur nut, Cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, of you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Image Image

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:11 am

XxComablack1937xX wrote: That is massive an make the highest grossing Horror film.

Yeah its tracking for $105 M!!!!
http://pro.boxoffice.com/weekend-update-it-home-again/

Holy Macaroni!

Godzilla165
EDF Soldier

Postby Godzilla165 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:03 am

A well deserved success. As I said in my review last page, It is easily the best horror film that I have personally seen in an incredibly long time, and is actually downright scary to me. All of the praise it's getting is warranted. Now, I'm ready and waiting for the sequel :).
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
E.S.P.Spy

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Finally saw It (Pun intended) and I gotta say I came in with high expectations and in the end I was blown away. I mean I knew it was going to be good from all the reviews I've seen but I didn't expect it to be that good. Without a doubt one of the best movies this year I've seen. :D

The acting especially by the kids and Pennywise is phenomenal, the tone, the pacing, the mixture of scariness and levity blended perfectly not to mention the thrill behind them. Bill definitely played a great Pennywise and he was definitely the perfect pick. This movie definitely deserves the praise it gets and about time we got an amazing horror theatrical movie especially one based on one of Stephen King's best works. I'll definitely see it again. :D

Spoiler:
As for Georgie's death. Not what I expected. I thought it was going to be like in the book where Pennywise tore off his arm and then Georgie wanders helpless before collapsing and dying of blood loss where an detective finds his body, but I'm okay with that, sometimes change is good which it this case it was because I wasn't expecting that holy skreeonk! Penny wise biting off Georgie's arm before stretching his arm out and pulling him into the sewers. Talk about scary! :freak:

I also still wish Maturin (The Turtle) was in this movie. Other then that though I had no complaints as everything perfect because in the end this was an worthy adaption to the book.

Also if I had to rank the best movies of 2017 so far. It'd be this.

1. Kong: Skull Island/Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
2. The Lost City of Z
3. War for the Planet of the Apes
4. It
5. Logan

Only ones left I haven't seen that has potential to make it on this list is Only the Brave, Thor: Ragnarok and maybe Justice League considering the changes Joss Whedon is doing. Other then that this has been a good year for movies.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:47 pm

How similar is this to the actual book? I've only seen the mini-series.

Either way, this really was great as an overall movie, and it it has consistent success hopefully more studios will make bigger movies from this genre.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Mr. Xeno
EDF Soldier

Postby Mr. Xeno » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:34 am

Tohosaurus wrote:How similar is this to the actual book? I've only seen the mini-series.

Either way, this really was great as an overall movie, and it it has consistent success hopefully more studios will make bigger movies from this genre.

It's the same tone (Stand By Me meets Nightmare on Elm Street) and basic plot, but the specifics are completely different. There isn't a single scene that plays out the same in the movie as in the book, and TONS of scenes are straight up replaced. I'm assuming the film did this to differentiate itself from the mini-series, which I honestly don't think was necessary given how dated the mini-series is.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

ShinGi
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ShinGi » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:52 am

XxComablack1937xX
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:12 am

IT made 117$ million opening Weekend in the US alone, that's without FL due to this damn hurricane so i fully intend to see it Monday or Tuesday.

link - http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3458 ... ebut-ever/

IT ALSO has made made 179.2$ million World Wide, making it by far the largest opening for a horror movie to date beating out Deadpool.

Lnik - http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/8 ... e#/slide/1

Congrat's to IT, It's a well deserve good horror, granted i haven't seen the full thing but watched many leaked clips spoiling myself couldn't help it. Can't wait for the sequel!

GodzillaFan1990's
E.S.P.Spy

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:13 am

Am I the only one who thinks Amy Adams would be the perfect cast for an adult Beverly in It Chapter 2? I mean the actress that plays Beverly in chapter 1 already looks like an Amy Adams as a kid so I think its a fitting role.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ShinGi
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ShinGi » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:29 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Amy Adams would be the perfect case for an adult Beverly in It Chapter 2? I mean the actress that plays Beverly in chapter 1 already looks like an Amy Adams as a kid so I think its a fitting role.

Jessica Chastain would be a pretty good choice as well

GodzillaFan1990's
E.S.P.Spy

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:32 pm

ShinGi wrote:Jessica Chastain would be a pretty good choice as well

Her or Amy Adams will do. ;)

Beverly just needs to be an adult red-head with freckles is what I'm asking.

Return to “Monster Manor”