Stephen King ''IT'' Remake/Re-adaptation

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Stephen King ''IT'' Remake/Re-adaptation

Postby SpaceG92 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Posted above, but it's now on YT. Apparently a longer version was shown in theaters - this one is cut short.

I am SUPER hyped for this. I've been looking forward to this adaptation for a while now, and while I was skeptical of the re-adaptation at first - I re-watched the miniseries - and it kinda lost all of it's charm. Tim isn't scary, he's a riot. Honestly, one of the few times his over the top sarcasm nails it home - Nostalgia Critic's review of the mini-series sums up how I feel now. You're not watching a spooky clown killing people your watching Tim in a clown suit doing stand up.

I dig the ye olde outfit they gave him and the actor I believe really nailed the voice.

I'm going to try and see this first showing with my family but we'll see.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla165
EDF Soldier

Postby Godzilla165 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:45 am

^Yeah, THIS right here is Pennywise through-and-through. While the mini series will always have it's place in film history for terrifying 90's kids across the globe, it was never a truly accurate representation and adaption of the novel like this will be. Pennywise, while childlike in some aspects to lure children in, is supposed to be absolutely terrifying and represent our worst nightmares come to life. It helps that the actor playing him here is incredible. I'm currently rereading the novel to prepare as we speak, and I had kind of forgotten how good this book is.

VERY excited to see this day one.

XxComablack1937xX
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:03 am

FIRST VIDEO REVIEW, NO SPOILERS BUT RATES IT TOP 5 HORROR MOVIES. States the Projector scene in the trailer is far more terrifying then what we see plus there's a lot more to it.

ShinGi
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ShinGi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:20 am

Pretty much all the reactions from people that have seen the movie are positive

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:22 am

We should have a King media thread for all books, movies, etc. Do we?
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

XxComablack1937xX
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:30 am

New Pennywise says ''BEEP BEEP RICHIE!'' lol... From the house on Neibolt street

ShinGi
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ShinGi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:36 am

Godzilla165
EDF Soldier

Postby Godzilla165 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:41 am

Will be seeing this tomorrow night with the wife, and a few more times over the weekend. I can't even explain how excited I am for this film.

ShinGi
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ShinGi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Godzilla165 wrote:Will be seeing this tomorrow night with the wife, and a few more times over the weekend. I can't even explain how excited I am for this film.

When this was announced I expected this to be terrible but now im really excited for IT

GodzillaFan1990's
E.S.P.Spy

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:24 pm

I'm seeing It (Pun intended) on Saturday. I'll give out my thoughts to you guys what I think of the movie. So far though this looks like it'll be one of those remakes where I think it is better then the original.

Godzilla165
EDF Soldier

Postby Godzilla165 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Be careful with the wording there, my friend ;). It (no pun intended), isn't a remake of the mini series, but is instead a straight up adaptation of the novel. THIS will be the film that does the book justice, as iconic as the mini series is.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
E.S.P.Spy

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Godzilla165 wrote:Be careful with the wording there, my friend ;). It (no pun intended), isn't a remake of the mini series, but is instead a straight up adaptation of the novel. THIS will be the film that does the book justice, as iconic as the mini series is.

Technically the same thing since they're based off the same source materials so... :P
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
Samurai

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:31 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:Be careful with the wording there, my friend ;). It (no pun intended), isn't a remake of the mini series, but is instead a straight up adaptation of the novel. THIS will be the film that does the book justice, as iconic as the mini series is.

Technically the same thing since they're based off the same source materials so... :P

No it's not, calling it a remake would imply it's a remake of the mini series, which it isn't. It's the first time ever the source material is getting a legit, full blown, Hollywood adaptation, a real movie...
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Kwaidan

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:43 pm

I just can't care. Glad it's getting good reviews though. Truly good genre films are very few and far between.
Rocker, Dinosaur nut, Cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, of you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Image Image

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Postby Showa Gyaos » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:55 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

Not in this case. The miniseries was a watered down, condensed version of the novel that took too many liberties with the source material to make it fit two 1 1/2 hour parts and make it friendly for network television.

IT promises to be more true to the novel's meaning, unlike the miniseries.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:24 am

I just got back from seeing this and it is absolutely amazing and terrifying. Pennywise and the kids are all great and all the scares are solid. Easily one of the best horror remakes/reboots/redos ever, up there with The Fly, The Thing, The Blob, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
"Titanosaurus... is going to join the ranks of the killers?!" | "Go, Titanosaurus!"

GodzillaFan1990's
E.S.P.Spy

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:33 am

Showa Gyaos wrote:Not in this case. The miniseries was a watered down, condensed version of the novel that took too many liberties with the source material to make it fit two 1 1/2 hour parts and make it friendly for network television.

IT promises to be more true to the novel's meaning, unlike the miniseries.

Good point. I can't argue with that.

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Godzilla165 wrote:straight up adaptation of the novel.

Let's hope not. Or, at least with the exception of that scene. You know the one. I have some concerns about King's interests after reading that book. It's a good book but... damn.

ShinGi
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ShinGi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:52 pm

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:straight up adaptation of the novel.

Let's hope not. Or, at least with the exception of that scene. You know the one. I have some concerns about King's interests after reading that book. It's a good book but... damn.

That scene wont be in the movie , thankfully

Godzilla165
EDF Soldier

Postby Godzilla165 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Alright, so my wife and I managed to catch a viewing of It this evening, and all I really have to say is... Wow. Bill Skarsgard's Pennywise makes Tim Curry's rendition look like Ronald McDonald in comparison. Allow me to also say that this film isn't focused solely on Pennywise, and isn't just a straight up horror film. It is more of a coming-of-age story that shows the Losers' Club dealing with junior high drama, bullies, and just the stress of what it's like being a kid in a town that has been, "cursed". Don't expect there to be a scare in every single scene here; there are a lot of moments, just like the novel, where the story focuses on the people, and more specifically the kids, and there relationship with one another. You would think that such would drag the movie along, but it doesn't. The kids' performances are very, very good, and they hold your attention even when they're just messing around. There was never a moment where I felt as though I was waiting for It to show up, because I was invested in what the people were doing. There is actual character motivation, and arcs, and drama that truly felt heavy and impactful; this is a smart film, that's for sure. Going off the point that there is never a dull moment in the story, this movie does an excellent job at keeping you feeling tense at all times, because you can just feel It's presence, even when It is not around. And when the Hedorah hits the fan, it REALLY bloody hits the fan. There are moments of such intensity, that it quite literally had my wife and I shaking afterward; our adrenaline was something fierce through our veins. One lad even got up after one said moment was over, shouted "NOPE!", and high tailed it out of the theater. I guess he couldn't handle it :lol:?

Let's talk a little bit about Pennywise in this movie. All I can really say without spoiling anything is that he is properly terrifying, and I mean that. Pennywise made every single person in our viewing feel unsettled, both visibly and audibly, and outright scared the living daylights out of quite a few at other times. He acts in a way that I could see how small kids would be drawn to him; he's horrifyingly cunning and adaptable. The effects on It are to be applauded, also. Pennywise's eyes are, to me, one of his best aspects. They seemingly glow very subtly, while of course changing color as well, and are also a tad offset. This really gives him an unearthly, mysterious, and almost animalistic feel about him. I think the most terrifying thing about It, is that it's not obvious nor your typical loud, screaming movie monster. It stalks, laying in wait for the perfect moment to strike, and then does when you least suspect it. Now granted, there are a couple jump scares in the movie; such is just the standard for modern day horror movies, and even quite a few old ones as well. However, the legitimately scary, disturbing, and most especially unsettling moments definitely outweigh the former by 5/1. There were times when I was clenching my wife's thigh, and she was physically leaning backwards in her seat to try and put as much distance between her and the screen as possible. Bill did Pennywise justice in ways that Tim Curry could never dream of; it felt as though he was the exact same character that the novel portrayed, and that is awesome.

Also, you all know how most films tend to shy away from showing kids getting hurt in any way? This movie doesn't. At all. It is not afraid to show young kids getting harmed in some pretty violent ways. There were times where I literally muttered, "wow, they actually just did that". I'll also just say that Billy did not go nicely; his end was pretty disturbing to watch for me.

All in all, It lived up to my expectations and then some. It was smart, filled with great characters, bloody terrifying, and properly intense. I can say without hesitation that It is without a doubt, the best horror movie of this year, and the best horror movie that I have seen in quite some time. I won't give It a numerical score nor letter grade, because I fell that both means are incredibly outdated and flawed, so I'll just let the words and more importantly, the film do all the talking.

We all float down here!

Return to “Monster Manor”