Stephen King ''IT'' Remake/Re-adaptation

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Re: Stephen King ''IT'' Remake/Re-adaptation

Postby Orichalcum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Angel of the Morning?

Added in 25 minutes 57 seconds:
Spoiler:
So is no one gonna talk about the awesome pose Ritchie strikes when he gets dead lighted?

Easily one of my favorite parts
Last edited by Orichalcum on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm

You guys are gonna think I'm weird,
Spoiler:
but I like that Bill gets his token directly from IT. I wouldn't say he just gives the paper boat to him for free, as he has to "earn" the token, but the fact he let's Bill go with the paper boat instead of ripping his arm off tells me he wants this showdown with the ritual just as badly as Mike, maybe more so.

As for his final form
Spoiler:
lame. I actually think the spider from the tv movie was better looking design wise, clown spider is just skreeonking stupid looking to me. In the book it's "true" form is described as being like just a huge mass in the Macroverse of just orange lights and hair. I think a good way to pull off it's "final" form would have been a shadow in the shape of a spider with orange lights shining through and swirling inside it's form. Yeah I know, CGI smoke monster but if ever it's gonna work, it's here cause it's such an otherworldly entity.

Also, the people screaming Pennywise is homophobic need to jump in a lake. Pennywise called Mike racial slurs in the book, IT doesn't care about racism, sexism and all that jazz, cause to IT all humans are beneath IT. IT's above human culture, IT just talks poop cause IT knows things like being reminded about daddy's sexual abuse get under their skin. I don't know if this is a case of people having problems or needing to get real problems.

UltramanGoji wrote:I "binged" Chapter One yesterday and saw Chapter Two today.

Out of the two, One was definitely superior. Two's tone was wildly inconsistent, the random humor spread throughout just deflated the tension of the scenes it was in and the obscene amounts of exposition and flashbacks seemed to be only there to pad the runtime. They probably would've served better inserted back into Chapter One.

But aside from that, I enjoyed it. The cast was great, Bill Hader especially was the standout to me. I will say that the scares were relatively less impactful this time around with two minor exceptions in
Spoiler:
the bleachers scene and the funhouse mirrors scene.

I'd say it was a solid 6.75/10. Could it have been better? Guess so. But what I got I thought was pretty good. Think I might see the 1990 miniseries now and even check out the book as well.

Yeah remove a lot of the flashbacks, it didn't need to be almost 3 hours.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Postby Orichalcum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:36 pm

IT’s true form isn’t lights and hair lol, it’s just a mass of orange lights and that’s it.

The Spider also has nothing to do with it’s true form, it’s just the closest thing our minds can come to comprehending the form, basically it’s true physical form it has to take in our reality so that it can exist.

With that being said, I kinda liked the new iteration, especially how it works like a giant spot light, seriously, that Bill Hader scene was great.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:17 pm

I loved the first part, will I like the second?
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Postby Orichalcum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:19 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:I loved the first part, will I like the second?

If you liked the first you’ll probably like the second just as much if not slightly less than the first

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:03 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:What music??

Spoiler:
You really don't remember the random obnoxious music played during the scene where the Leper vomits on Eddie?

Oh yeah :lol: , that was pretty funny..

It's like,
Spoiler:
he did all that just to get puked on anyway lol.
Sith Apprentice.

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Just watched the second part and i must say, it's a pretty decent conclusion! Not as good at the first part but pretty enjoyable nonetheless, albeit the comedy can be a tad out of place at times. Unfortunately...

Spoiler:
A shame Maturin didn't show up. And they still can't get the spider right, can they? Yeah, i know the spider in the book is basically our puny minds trying their best to comprehend IT's true nature and we definitely needed a more Lovecraftian-looking arachnid thing rather than just a clown drider. Maybe something based on Louise Bourgeois' spider sculptures could've been nice.
Last edited by Dino-Mario on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

godzilla98rules
Futurian

Postby godzilla98rules » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:00 pm

Just saw it (literally) a few minutes ago. Overall, it was great. A bit clunky here or there, but a massive improvement over the absolute blandness that were the adult scenes in the original. Unlike the actors in that film, the adult actors they chose here worked great off each other, making them feel more believable and fun to watch. As for the slapstick, this is how I see it:
Spoiler:
I never found Pennywise to be scary, even in the original. I feel that the folks who made this realized it too and decided to make him act more goofy, which made him more entertaining to watch.
Because of the comedy though, most of the scares were entertainingly creepy, but not terrifying. The only three shots that actually got my heart pumping were
Spoiler:
the girl under the bleachers, the hall of mirrors, and the final confrontation (especially Pennywise turning into a fetus.....)

Spoiler:
As for the spider-form, it's still not perfect, but I found it more intimidating than the puppet used in the original.

I'd give it a 4/5......
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4HAZwFtUEJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Dino-Mario wrote:Just watched the second part and i must say, it's a pretty decent conclusion! Not as good at the first part but pretty enjoyable nonetheless, albeit the comedy can be a tad out of place at times. Unfortunately...

Spoiler:
A shame Maturin didn't show up. And they still can't get the spider right, can they? Yeah, i know the spider in the book is basically our puny minds trying their best to comprehend IT's true nature and we definitely needed a more Lovecraftian-looking arachnid thing rather than just a clown drider. Maybe something based on Louise Bourgeois' spider sculptures could've been nice.

Spoiler:
We're never getting Maturin in a film are we?

MM Raids Again
Futurian

Postby MM Raids Again » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:01 am

So I saw Chapter 2 today. Not as good as the first and, honestly, I think a lot of stuff just bogged it down. Be right up front, the out of place humor. Yeah, normally I love that. But the first didn't have that sort of "pause and laugh in the middle of grueling horror" like this did. And it just hurt the overall stuff. I also think the movie would have been fine with just getting rid of the adult Henry Bowers arc. It seemed like he was killed in the first with how he fell and bounced off the well walls. He really didn't do much in the film besides exist as a Pennywise roadie. The attack on Eddie just made me go "what?" You don't just get a knife put in your cheek, pull it out, stab your attacker and then go on for hours on end as if nothing happened. You just don't. I would expect this in more low budget and less serious horror... but after the first It...? No. Just took me right out of the entire movie for a few. And every time he talked, I just kept asking myself "how is he not in agony?"

And then Henry just ups and walks off after getting stabbed in the chest also...? Whaaaat?

Pennywise himself was pretty good. Liked him better in the first. The final act though was just bad. Worse than anything in the 90s miniseries, IMO. The Spider-Clown just looked horrible, from a design and CG perspective.

And so much for adding more "backstory" to Pennywise also. The whole ancient ritual thing instantly made me roll my eyes and the hallucination of him arriving in a... meteor...? It just made it even more confusing. Is he a damn alien? An alien demon?

Also, I don't want to come off as THAT guy here... But I'm just going to say it. The whole Richie is actually closet gay was super forced. And the ending of them just diving into the water after the fight to... swim...? I feel like they added that whole "bad ending" bit to Bill's writing career was a moment of meta to prepare us for this.

However, all that negativity aside, it was a pretty solid movie. As I said, not anywhere near as good as the first, but okay. And I almost lost it at the Thing reference with Stanley's head growing legs and Richie doing the iconic "You have got to be f**king kidding." line.
Did you miss me?

GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent

Postby GoWhaleTours » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:30 am

I liked it.

Did anyone else catch the “The Thing” reference?
Right down to the same line that was spoken too.

That’s the second film this year to reference that scene after KOTM.
anyway, yeah, macaroni.

PopInPicsPresents
Kwaidan

Postby PopInPicsPresents » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:53 am

GoWhaleTours wrote:I liked it.

It's not so much a reference as it is they just stole the scene out of Thing and dropped it in IT 2
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.

Mama Birdon is bae

Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent

Postby GoWhaleTours » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:20 am

PopInPicsPresents wrote:

It's not so much a reference as it is they just stole the scene out of Thing and dropped it in IT 2

True. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but then they said the line and it became a straight up copy
anyway, yeah, macaroni.

PopInPicsPresents
Kwaidan

Postby PopInPicsPresents » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:35 pm

GoWhaleTours wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:

True. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but then they said the line and it became a straight up copy

I also groaned at the "Here's Johnny" line. I would have been cool with the Thing bit if that line didn't get said. It was on the nose enough with the same shot setup, the line was wicked overkill.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.

Mama Birdon is bae

Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:46 pm

It was fine till they said "you gotta be skreeonking kidding me." Nitpick but saying the exact same line was one step too far and took me out of the movie. It was enough of a reference to just have the head grow legs.

Added in 1 minute 49 seconds:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:I also groaned at the "Here's Johnny" line.

Oddly I was fine with that, guess cause it was a King movie referencing another King story.

Fish Cakes
Interpol Agent

Postby Fish Cakes » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:33 am

I loved Chapter Two SOOOO MUCH, just saw it yesterday. I felt it really made the themes of IT prominent without being in-your-face about it. Bill Hader and James Ransone were the stand-out performances to me.

Spoiler:
I felt like the tension before the two child deaths was really well done and the opening scene was rightfully unsettling to watch as intended. I admit I didn't know much of the book or it's themes going in, I pieced it together after this movie and I realized why Pennywise is my fav Horror antagonist. He is trauma, he is old wounds that never healed. The returning after 27 years thing, leading to their suicides if not "defeated", why Pennywise kills who he kills, how he taunts them, them shutting out their memories of Derry, the big child predator vibes, themes of abuse, the scars disappearing at the end, he's not so much a calculating villain as much as a malevolent entity that goes off his own nature. A nature that ultimately led to his defeat.

10/10. Pacing, acting, funny bits, suspense bits, clown bits, all good. I wish they wailed on Pennywise more to kill him like in Chapter One (that was such a great scene) but I suppose that's a more minor complaint.
Last edited by Fish Cakes on Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:36 am

So Bill Skarsgard recently implied that there's plans for a third IT film, which I'd be up for.

Both previous films were great which is a rarity amongst modern and even classic horror flicks, so I'd love to see it.

"Without going too much into detail, there is a story we're excited about, but it's way too early to say"

Stephen King crossover flick? IT prequel? IT finally Returns?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Apprentice.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:08 am

_JNavs_ wrote:So Bill Skarsgard recently implied that there's plans for a third IT film, which I'd be up for.

Both previous films were great which is a rarity amongst modern and even classic horror flicks, so I'd love to see it.

"Without going too much into detail, there is a story we're excited about, but it's way too early to say"

Stephen King crossover flick? IT prequel? IT finally Returns?

It wont be a sequel, that will undo everything they just and they don't have any material to pull from. It will most def be a prequel as Pennywise has a massive history will Derry and there is enough from the book they can pull from while also giving them enough freedom to do what they want.

I am film with a prequel, I am sure they will want there Pennywise trilogy and I love Skarsgard in the role so as long as he is still playing the character I am there.

Return to “Monster Manor”