Stephen King ''IT'' Remake/Re-adaptation

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
LegendaryGoji
Yojimbo

Re: Stephen King ''IT'' Remake/Re-adaptation

Postby LegendaryGoji » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:58 am

I thought The Last Knight made less money out of all the Transformers movies so far?
THE DEVIL HAS THREE HEADS

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:00 pm

LegendaryGoji wrote:I thought The Last Knight made less money out of all the Transformers movies so far?

Both domestically and globally that is technically correct, but it is still enough to be that high.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

ShinGi
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ShinGi » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:36 pm

With the success of the movie I wouldn't be surprised if this gets turned into a trilogy

eabaker
Keizer

Postby eabaker » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:46 pm

ShinGi wrote:With the success of the movie I wouldn't be surprised if this gets turned into a trilogy

I mean, they'd pretty much have to create the third part from whole cloth, since the story has been pretty naturally broken up into "childhood" and "adulthood."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ShinGi
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ShinGi » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:55 pm

eabaker wrote:
ShinGi wrote:With the success of the movie I wouldn't be surprised if this gets turned into a trilogy

I mean, they'd pretty much have to create the third part from whole cloth, since the story has been pretty naturally broken up into "childhood" and "adulthood."

I could see the third movie being a prequel that goes into the history of Derry

XxComablack1937xX
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:11 pm

I wouldn't mind a a prequel after the sequel, there's enough damage Pennywise has caused in all his time in Derry that could make great entries.

The Black Spot, The Easter Egg Hunt, plus plenty more from the book. Hopefully the sequel is lives up to the first before they even decide to do anymore. Though i personally think they will stop with the Adult-Hood sequel. Which is also just fine with me. No need to drag it out if the passion isn't there.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm really baffled why this is so popular. I mean, I don't even dislike it that strongly, I was mostly just disappointed, but I genuinely can't understand why it's praised so much. It just felt like the old stuff slathered in a gooey coat of "new" horror: jump scares, lots of CG, and music that tells you what you should feel as blatantly as possible. Not to mention it just wasn't scary. Some of the CGI effects were so mediocre, yet utterly confident they were terrifying, that it was funny. I've had people tell me that it was purposely cheesy, but that sounds like a bullshit excuse.

Also, why was it so skreeonking literal? There's a scene where Pennywise dances because he's the Dancing Clown. His victims literally float. The metaphor Mike's dad uses comes true for real. It was... idiotic.

As for the kids, the love triangle felt half-assed because she clearly actually liked and connected with Ben while the other one was there because... uh... because main protagonist. Mike and Stan were underdeveloped. I literally forgot Stan existed most of the time. Richie was annoying as well. I don't skreeonking care about how many sex jokes the eleven-year-old can make.

Pennywise talked like a doofus, but I'll forgive it since the actor has an accent to begin with.

But the biggest problem was that it didn't use the stuff it added. It made/expanded on Bev's dad being sexually abusive (I don't remember that from the book, but I've been told it was hinted at), yet there's this... dissonance because of it. Bev is still played for sexuality (which is already weird because she's underage) and still gets along fine with the boys. The stuff about Mike being isolated and targeted wasn't really used in many meaningful way. I'm pretty sure it was just there to be topical. And Richie is said to be afraid of clowns, yet isn't that super bothered when Pennywise acts on it.

There were only two parts of the movie that stood out to me: giving It shark teeth, because it fits the aquatic predator theme, and the one part near the end when Stan accuses the others of leaving him alone after he's attacked. That was good. THAT was what the movie should have been about: mistrust. About It preying on their inability or hesitance to trust each other just as much as their fear. What if Bev didn't like boys because of her dad? What if Richie didn't believe the others since he weirdly didn't get a personal visit? What if Mike didn't trust the others because they were white? It could have been great. They set up a giant set of dominoes and just... never touched it. Because this movie is safe. It's the old stuff dressed up like new stuff. Nostalgia and bandwagonning, a two in one package. That's why I'm so disappointed to see it's doing phenomenally.

But, like I said, I didn't really hate it or anything. I at least got a few snickers from the hokier effects, so it wasn't a total loss and I'm not so impassioned about the source material that the squandered opportunities drive me nuts, it's just... sad, I guess? This was a movie that, in my mind at least, did a lot wrong and a lot lamely and got rewarded for it. Just seems a shame.
"Nooooooooooooooo Hedorah, Sherlock~."

eabaker
Keizer

Postby eabaker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:59 am

^Very well said. I'm with you on pretty much all of it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ShinGi
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ShinGi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:45 pm

XxComablack1937xX wrote:I wouldn't mind a a prequel after the sequel, there's enough damage Pennywise has caused in all his time in Derry that could make great entries.

The Black Spot, The Easter Egg Hunt, plus plenty more from the book. Hopefully the sequel is lives up to the first before they even decide to do anymore. Though i personally think they will stop with the Adult-Hood sequel. Which is also just fine with me. No need to drag it out if the passion isn't there.

The sequel will open with the Black Spot the director has already confirmed it

SickleFeather
Yojimbo

Postby SickleFeather » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:39 pm

Apparently, director Andy Muschietti considered the idea of Pennywise/IT taking on the form of the famed Springwood Slasher, Freddy Krueger!
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3458570/andy-muschietti-considered-pennywise-taking-form-freddy-krueger/

Reminds me when months before the film’s release, some people were speculating that IT was going to on the forms of 1980’s horror figures instead of 1950’s horror figures (such as Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, etc.)
Last edited by SickleFeather on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

GodzillaFan1990's
E.S.P.Spy

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Getting the rights to do that though would've been pretty hard.

UltramanGoji
Keizer

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:14 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Getting the rights to do that though would've been pretty hard.

Not really, It was a New Line film.
Check out my YouTube channel CinemaGoji for all things Godzilla!
Steam! (PM me if you add me!)

Return to “Monster Manor”