"RAMPAGE" - Game To Film?!?!

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
darthzilla99
Interpol Agent

Re: "RAMPAGE" - Game To Film?!?!

Postby darthzilla99 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:59 am

I think part of the positive reviews have also been the fact that Pacific Rim uprising was a disappointment and so everyone was surprised by fun Rampage is. I don't think anyone has argued that Rampage is beyond mediocre.
"Your not coming off as cocky. You come off as an idiot" by SBK.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Sat May 26, 2018 1:51 pm

darthzilla99 wrote:I think part of the positive reviews have also been the fact that Pacific Rim uprising was a disappointment and so everyone was surprised by fun Rampage is. I don't think anyone has argued that Rampage is beyond mediocre.

For me Rampage didn't have to be anything other than an entertaining monster movie and it delivered in spades.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sat May 26, 2018 3:28 pm

The one thing I liked about Rampage is that they actually used their monsters. Both G14 and PRU held back on their monsters till the final act. Rampage like KSI knew it was a monster movie and they used their monsters to their fullest. Rampage has the added strength of giving character to George and make you actually care for him.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, of you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Sun May 27, 2018 2:18 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The one thing I liked about Rampage is that they actually used their monsters. Both G14 and PRU held back on their monsters till the final act. Rampage like KSI knew it was a monster movie and they used their monsters to their fullest. Rampage has the added strength of giving character to George and make you actually care for him.

Really? because I felt Ralph really got shafted hard.
I had at least hoped for a scene where Ralph and George attack Lizzie at the same time akin to the T-Rex and raptor fighting the Indominus together, with George preforming the heavy blows and Ralph more or less pouncing and tearing into Lizzie while shooting her with his quills... or something to that effect. I at least wanted to see a real effort on both monster's parts to take out the bigger threat.

I don't know, seemed like all three monsters could have battled each other better, instead the film seemed like it was in a hurry to kill off Ralph in the third act just so George could take center stage.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun May 27, 2018 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Gothicserpent
G-Grasper

Postby Gothicserpent » Mon May 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Looks like Rampage pulled in $4 million this weekend.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Mon May 28, 2018 8:42 pm

I actually enjoyed Pacific Rim Uprising more then i thought, I just watched it this past weekend but my expectations were set to none.

Rampage was more entertaining for sure, plus it was shorter and the chemistry between George and the Rock worked. Lizzie was still my favorite an absolutely owned Ralph and without interference would have owned George too.

Both i'd say are worth a watch but what they both don't have is legs for repeat viewings... I felt once was enough...

Pkmatrix
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Pkmatrix » Tue May 29, 2018 9:37 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:RAMPAGE!

Everyone here seemed to give it glowing reviews, I just go back from seeing it and it was alright, not great, alright. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the film, but it was no where near as good as a lot of you here made it out to be...

Am I the only one here who thinks this?

No, you're not the only one, but personally I think it deserves glowing reviews 'cause IMO it's a very good and very fun film. :)

Also, does any one know how it's done in Japan? Box Office Mojo STILL hasn't added the Japanese returns yet.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Tue May 29, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue May 29, 2018 8:24 pm

I liked it, didn't love it. Though there are some things about it that I really did love. Ralph's early scenes especially were surprisingly suspenseful and atmospheric.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, of you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

TyrantGojira
Futurian

Postby TyrantGojira » Tue May 29, 2018 8:39 pm

Rampage will come out on DVD and Blu ray July 7th.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:43 pm

Pkmatrix wrote:Also, does any one know how it's done in Japan? Box Office Mojo STILL hasn't added the Japanese returns yet.

$3,276,473

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... le2018.htm
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Cookson
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Cookson » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:42 pm

Yeah, it flopped in Japan and Germany killing its chances at 430.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:31 pm

Still 415 million is a good run.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:22 am

Over $400 million is definitely more than I thought this was do, and even though this wasn't that robust in the US either (it's made well under its production budget), it's still better than I thought. It's interesting too given that PRU was probably from the "better known" property, and neither PRU or this movie were critically loved.
고질라

Mr. Yellow
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Mr. Yellow » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:54 am

Kinda surprised it flopped so hard in Japan.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

TyrantGojira
Futurian

Postby TyrantGojira » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Mr. Yellow wrote:Kinda surprised it flopped so hard in Japan.

Both Rampage and Godzilla City on the Edge of Battle did. Makes me worry that Japan is falling out of the giant monster craze and its impact on the genre.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Pkmatrix
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Pkmatrix » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Tohosaurus wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:Also, does any one know how it's done in Japan? Box Office Mojo STILL hasn't added the Japanese returns yet.

$3,276,473

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... le2018.htm

Okay! Thanks! :)

Cookson wrote:Yeah, it flopped in Japan and Germany killing its chances at 430.

Ah, that's too bad. Still, it had a good run overall! :)

Tohosaurus wrote:Over $400 million is definitely more than I thought this was do, and even though this wasn't that robust in the US either (it's made well under its production budget), it's still better than I thought. It's interesting too given that PRU was probably from the "better known" property, and neither PRU or this movie were critically loved.

...Its production budget was only $120 Million, though...? :|

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:25 pm

TyrantGojira wrote:
Mr. Yellow wrote:Kinda surprised it flopped so hard in Japan.

Both Rampage and Godzilla City on the Edge of Battle did. Makes me worry that Japan is falling out of the giant monster craze and its impact on the genre.

I don't know that Japan was really back into monsters? After all, only the Godzilla movies have done well (Legendary and Shin), but I don't think any other kaiju movie has made more than Heisei Godzilla money.

Pkmatrix wrote:
...Its production budget was only $120 Million, though...? :|

I meant that domestically it didn't earn its production budget back. That's usually an ideal detail. I mean it still did well overall.
고질라

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:09 pm

I wouldn't worry much about this and COTEOB failing in Japan. Rampage wasn't anything special, and the other one is a sequel to a mediocre anime.

Gothicserpent
G-Grasper

Postby Gothicserpent » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Up to $415 million.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

tbeasley
Interpol Agent

Postby tbeasley » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Aren't the Godzilla anime films being given somewhat limited releases? So it's more of a fan thing to go out and see them.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.

Return to “Monster Manor”