Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:36 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Given that Tyrannosaurus and Megalodon didn't exist at the same time in history, I say drop the scene.

Neither did apatosaurus', triceratops', stegosaurus' and such and look what we got from The Land Before Time.

Yes, but one of these is supposed to be a semi-believable action-monster movie, and the other is a kid's movie.

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:39 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Yes, but one of these is supposed to be a semi-believable action-monster movie, and the other is a kid's movie.

Given there's thousands if not millions/billions of movies though I'm certain there's tons of movies with inaccuracies those live-action included.

For example. Braveheart comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravehear ... inaccuracy
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:18 am

In this day and age, as more and more information is compiled about prehistoric life and we gain a clearer picture of what long extinct species were actually like and efforts are starting to be made to portray them as the real animals they were rather than the monsters we've always treated them as, we don't need to be taking backward steps like that. You have a major movie establish the 'fact' that Megalodon lived alongside dinosaurs, millions of movie-goers are going to take for granted that it's true. Why would we want that?

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:14 am

master_of_monsters wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
master_of_monsters wrote:I was talking about that a little while ago and am all for it. Both movies have a similar theme and tone and both lead actors have been in the same movies before, its damn near perfect

Its even a headcanon of mine both are set in the same universe better heck both set in the MonsterVerse. I thank Pkd for it.

Spoiler:
Pkmatrix, post: 19036202, member: 1574 wrote:Surprised I didn't post this in here already...

New(-ish) headcanon: Rampage (2018) is set in the same continuity as Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island (2017).

1. Everybody seems awfully unsurprised by the appearance and existence of giant monsters...as they would, if Honolulu, Las Vegas, and San Francisco had been wrecked by giant monsters only four years earlier.

2. The government seems awfully well-prepared for responding to giant monster attacks, as if following a prepared SOP...as they would, considering how unprepared they were when Godzilla and the MUTOs appeared four years earlier.

3. Agent Russel (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) works for an unnamed government agency tasked specifically with dealing with giant monsters...which could easily be MONARCH.

I'm sure this headcanon will get wrecked after Godzilla: King of the Monsters comes out next year...but, until then, let me daydream about a Godzilla vs. The Rock movie.

Pkmatrix, post: 19036202, member: 1574 wrote:I rewatched Rampage this afternoon. Still a ton of fun!

This time, I kept a lookout for anything that would scuttle my headcanon that Rampage takes place in the MonsterVerse. For the most part, I think my headcanon survives! \^o^/

Some new thoughts:

At the time a lot of us took Agent Russell’s (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) “other government agency” to be Monarch. While in my headcanon that’s still what’s being implied, it actually comes across as somewhat odd after seeing KOTM and knowing that post-2014 Monarch had gone public. It leaves one to wonder why Russell is being coy about it when, by 2018, everyone knows what Monarch is.
New addition to the headcanon: Dr. Stanton’s lines talking about companies wanting Titan DNA and how it could be weaponized is a direct reference to the events of Rampage, where exactly that happened. I’m also going to headcanon that among the genes included in the Project Rampage genetic cocktails are Godzilla and MUTO DNA which Energyne illegally obtained post-2014 - it’s what allows for George, Ralph, and Lizzie to heal so quickly.
Another new addition: Ralph’s pack was one of the wolf packs Mark Russell was studying after he moved to Colorado. Among his photos are photos of Ralph pre-mutation.
How did the government figure out what Energyne was up to, or that they should send DHS Agents by helicopter when the San Diego Zoo called the police to report George had escaped? Because the canister that mutated Ralph and the battle with Energyne’s mercenaries all happened a few miles from Monarch’s Wyoming outpost. Maybe Ralph even attacked the outpost too (that sounds like a neat little horror fanfic waiting to happen…)
I noticed when Lizzie is first sighted on sonar approaching Chicago, the reaction from everyone - Russell, the Colonel, Okoye, Dr. Caldwell - isn’t confusion (none of the characters knew, until this point, that there was a third monster - they SHOULD have been confused), but deep concern. Headcanon: they all were thinking, “Oh God, not Godzilla too.”
Like before, I’m still taking Russell’s and the Colonel’s talk of “contingencies” and “we’ve got this covered” as veiled references to G14 - Monarch and the military has been planning for something like this and thinks they’re prepared to deal with it. (Naturally, they are not.)
Harvey Russell and Mark Russell are cousins, Harvey’s grandpappy is also Mark’s grandfather (and, by extension, Madison’s great-grandfather). Mark’s father George was born in Texas, but moved to Ohio when he was young which is where Mark was raised. Harvey’s side of the family, meanwhile, stayed in Texas and the two ended up, via different paths, both managed to end up in Monarch.

technically they explained in rampage what the pathogen was made of. (strength of a rhino beetle, growth of a blue whale, etc.)

Actually, they only gave a brief example of what MIGHT be in the cocktail - at that point in the film we don't yet know that Dr. Caldwell doesn't work for Energyne anymore - and she specifically makes a point of saying that they had developed a bunch of different cocktails with different combinations. My headcanon is that the integration of Godzilla and/or MUTO DNA into the cocktails in their latest round of experiments is what caused things to get so rapidly out of control. :)

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:46 am

Pkmatrix wrote:Actually, they only gave a brief example of what MIGHT be in the cocktail - at that point in the film we don't yet know that Dr. Caldwell doesn't work for Energyne anymore - and she specifically makes a point of saying that they had developed a bunch of different cocktails with different combinations. My headcanon is that the integration of Godzilla and/or MUTO DNA into the cocktails in their latest round of experiments is what caused things to get so rapidly out of control. :)

Yay! Headcanon back! :huge:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

master_of_monsters
G-Grasper

Postby master_of_monsters » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Pkmatrix wrote:
master_of_monsters wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Its even a headcanon of mine both are set in the same universe better heck both set in the MonsterVerse. I thank Pkd for it.

Spoiler:

technically they explained in rampage what the pathogen was made of. (strength of a rhino beetle, growth of a blue whale, etc.)

Actually, they only gave a brief example of what MIGHT be in the cocktail - at that point in the film we don't yet know that Dr. Caldwell doesn't work for Energyne anymore - and she specifically makes a point of saying that they had developed a bunch of different cocktails with different combinations. My headcanon is that the integration of Godzilla and/or MUTO DNA into the cocktails in their latest round of experiments is what caused things to get so rapidly out of control. :)

can probably allow for some extra gimmicks as well. (wheres fire breathing lizzie!?)
your source of self destruction

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:36 pm

JAGzilla wrote:Why would we want that?

Because, while I understand what you're saying, if we limited movies to what only is scientifically accurate or possible in real life, then movies would get very boring very quickly. Hell, they'd have to stop making Godzilla movies immediately.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Postby H-Man » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:22 am

(as copied from my Facebook post)

THE MEG (2018) - I find it weird that I'm saying this, but in the 20 years that have elapsed since DEEP BLUE SEA and SHARK ATTACK revived the sub-genre, things have gotten to the point where a technically-sound, competently-directed shark movie just isn't enough. I mean, we live in a world where the SHARKNADO franchise made it to six(!) movies and a two-headed shark evolved into a six-headed shark, one head/movie at a time. THE MEG isn't suspenseful enough to be good-good, or over the top enough to be bad-good. It feels too "safe" and "sanitized". The entire exercise is just a bit "meh".
Last edited by H-Man on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:09 am

While I wish the main shark looked more like the book version what saves the film for me is the whole cast is REALLY likeable. I dunno that's what made it so fun for me. I mean I expected the two pervy scientists in the initial shuttle to be total idiots but I found myself really liking them as the emergency went on.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:23 am

I am more interested in where they plan to go with the sequel. Haven't heard of any updates in a while other then them working on the script and pulling idea's form his other books.

Return to “Monster Manor”