Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Re: Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Work has officially begun on Meg 2. The script is currently being written.

https://www.scified.com/news/the-meg-2- ... ng-written

Let there be dunkleosteus', liopleurodon's, kronosaurus' or whatever. That's all I ask! :huge:

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:36 pm

So glad I just bought this big 13" PNSO Vinyl Megalodon last night. It kinda looks similar to the film version/Bruce from Jaws/ and what I imagine a Megalodon would look like irl.

I knew a sequel would be inevitable, I wonder if they'll shoot for PG-13 again since it worked so well for them, I haven't read the books yet, but I know they're probably better since they're likely much more graphic.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Apprentice.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:39 pm

I really did wish they released an extended R Rated cut on disc. That'd make up for it granted I still enjoyed this movie.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:58 am

It wasn't a great movie, but it was fun, so glad it's getting a sequel.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:18 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Work has officially begun on Meg 2. The script is currently being written.

https://www.scified.com/news/the-meg-2- ... ng-written

It made over 500$ million worldwide so it's not surprising, but PLEASE be better then the first... what a let down the first one was and it had such potential. An get a better director and screen writer you have so much material to pull from to make an awesome movie.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:00 am

I finally watched this movie a few hours ago. Ehhh… it was decently fun and kept me entertained, and there were a few legitimately suspenseful moments, particularly during the trench exploration/rescue sequence at the beginning. The cast mostly played their roles acceptably, though there was some really wooden acting at times. I never believed Suyin was in danger during the shark cage scene, for example. The story... was dumber than a sack of diapers, unfortunately. I kept having to ask things like "why on earth is this happening? Why was X decision made? Why are they doing everything the most suicidal way possible? Why will the shark not stop eating?" And the only answer I could find was "there wouldn't be much of a movie otherwise." :lol:

I'm on board for the sequel, though.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:47 pm

I wonder if there's any chance that MEG 2 (The Trench?) will include the T. Rex scene the first movie should've had.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:07 am

TitanoGoji16 wrote:I wonder if there's any chance that MEG 2 (The Trench?) will include the T. Rex scene the first movie should've had.

Doubtful given the idiotic decision to make the first one PG-13.

master_of_monsters
G-Grasper

Postby master_of_monsters » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:17 am

hell yeah, now give me a rampage sequel
your source of self destruction

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:36 am

master_of_monsters wrote:hell yeah, now give me a rampage sequel

Nah better.

An Rampage/The Meg crossover.

Imagine an megalodon getting exposed to the pathogen. :freak: :shock: and Okoye, George and Caldwell being assigned to help The Meg cast to deal with this megalodon.

Imagine George vs. Megalodon. :huge:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

master_of_monsters
G-Grasper

Postby master_of_monsters » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
master_of_monsters wrote:hell yeah, now give me a rampage sequel

Nah better.

An Rampage/The Meg crossover.

Imagine an megalodon getting exposed to the pathogen. :freak: :shock: and Okoye, George and Caldwell being assigned to help The Meg cast to deal with this megalodon.

Imagine George vs. Megalodon. :huge:

I was talking about that a little while ago and am all for it. Both movies have a similar theme and tone and both lead actors have been in the same movies before, its damn near perfect

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:45 am

master_of_monsters wrote:I was talking about that a little while ago and am all for it. Both movies have a similar theme and tone and both lead actors have been in the same movies before, its damn near perfect

Its even a headcanon of mine both are set in the same universe better heck both set in the MonsterVerse. I thank Pkd for it.

Spoiler:
Pkmatrix, post: 19036202, member: 1574 wrote:Surprised I didn't post this in here already...

New(-ish) headcanon: Rampage (2018) is set in the same continuity as Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island (2017).

1. Everybody seems awfully unsurprised by the appearance and existence of giant monsters...as they would, if Honolulu, Las Vegas, and San Francisco had been wrecked by giant monsters only four years earlier.

2. The government seems awfully well-prepared for responding to giant monster attacks, as if following a prepared SOP...as they would, considering how unprepared they were when Godzilla and the MUTOs appeared four years earlier.

3. Agent Russel (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) works for an unnamed government agency tasked specifically with dealing with giant monsters...which could easily be MONARCH.

I'm sure this headcanon will get wrecked after Godzilla: King of the Monsters comes out next year...but, until then, let me daydream about a Godzilla vs. The Rock movie.

Pkmatrix, post: 19036202, member: 1574 wrote:I rewatched Rampage this afternoon. Still a ton of fun!

This time, I kept a lookout for anything that would scuttle my headcanon that Rampage takes place in the MonsterVerse. For the most part, I think my headcanon survives! \^o^/

Some new thoughts:

At the time a lot of us took Agent Russell’s (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) “other government agency” to be Monarch. While in my headcanon that’s still what’s being implied, it actually comes across as somewhat odd after seeing KOTM and knowing that post-2014 Monarch had gone public. It leaves one to wonder why Russell is being coy about it when, by 2018, everyone knows what Monarch is.
New addition to the headcanon: Dr. Stanton’s lines talking about companies wanting Titan DNA and how it could be weaponized is a direct reference to the events of Rampage, where exactly that happened. I’m also going to headcanon that among the genes included in the Project Rampage genetic cocktails are Godzilla and MUTO DNA which Energyne illegally obtained post-2014 - it’s what allows for George, Ralph, and Lizzie to heal so quickly.
Another new addition: Ralph’s pack was one of the wolf packs Mark Russell was studying after he moved to Colorado. Among his photos are photos of Ralph pre-mutation.
How did the government figure out what Energyne was up to, or that they should send DHS Agents by helicopter when the San Diego Zoo called the police to report George had escaped? Because the canister that mutated Ralph and the battle with Energyne’s mercenaries all happened a few miles from Monarch’s Wyoming outpost. Maybe Ralph even attacked the outpost too (that sounds like a neat little horror fanfic waiting to happen…)
I noticed when Lizzie is first sighted on sonar approaching Chicago, the reaction from everyone - Russell, the Colonel, Okoye, Dr. Caldwell - isn’t confusion (none of the characters knew, until this point, that there was a third monster - they SHOULD have been confused), but deep concern. Headcanon: they all were thinking, “Oh God, not Godzilla too.”
Like before, I’m still taking Russell’s and the Colonel’s talk of “contingencies” and “we’ve got this covered” as veiled references to G14 - Monarch and the military has been planning for something like this and thinks they’re prepared to deal with it. (Naturally, they are not.)
Harvey Russell and Mark Russell are cousins, Harvey’s grandpappy is also Mark’s grandfather (and, by extension, Madison’s great-grandfather). Mark’s father George was born in Texas, but moved to Ohio when he was young which is where Mark was raised. Harvey’s side of the family, meanwhile, stayed in Texas and the two ended up, via different paths, both managed to end up in Monarch.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

master_of_monsters
G-Grasper

Postby master_of_monsters » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:00 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
master_of_monsters wrote:I was talking about that a little while ago and am all for it. Both movies have a similar theme and tone and both lead actors have been in the same movies before, its damn near perfect

Its even a headcanon of mine both are set in the same universe better heck both set in the MonsterVerse. I thank Pkd for it.

Spoiler:
Pkmatrix, post: 19036202, member: 1574 wrote:Surprised I didn't post this in here already...

New(-ish) headcanon: Rampage (2018) is set in the same continuity as Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island (2017).

1. Everybody seems awfully unsurprised by the appearance and existence of giant monsters...as they would, if Honolulu, Las Vegas, and San Francisco had been wrecked by giant monsters only four years earlier.

2. The government seems awfully well-prepared for responding to giant monster attacks, as if following a prepared SOP...as they would, considering how unprepared they were when Godzilla and the MUTOs appeared four years earlier.

3. Agent Russel (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) works for an unnamed government agency tasked specifically with dealing with giant monsters...which could easily be MONARCH.

I'm sure this headcanon will get wrecked after Godzilla: King of the Monsters comes out next year...but, until then, let me daydream about a Godzilla vs. The Rock movie.

Pkmatrix, post: 19036202, member: 1574 wrote:I rewatched Rampage this afternoon. Still a ton of fun!

This time, I kept a lookout for anything that would scuttle my headcanon that Rampage takes place in the MonsterVerse. For the most part, I think my headcanon survives! \^o^/

Some new thoughts:

At the time a lot of us took Agent Russell’s (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) “other government agency” to be Monarch. While in my headcanon that’s still what’s being implied, it actually comes across as somewhat odd after seeing KOTM and knowing that post-2014 Monarch had gone public. It leaves one to wonder why Russell is being coy about it when, by 2018, everyone knows what Monarch is.
New addition to the headcanon: Dr. Stanton’s lines talking about companies wanting Titan DNA and how it could be weaponized is a direct reference to the events of Rampage, where exactly that happened. I’m also going to headcanon that among the genes included in the Project Rampage genetic cocktails are Godzilla and MUTO DNA which Energyne illegally obtained post-2014 - it’s what allows for George, Ralph, and Lizzie to heal so quickly.
Another new addition: Ralph’s pack was one of the wolf packs Mark Russell was studying after he moved to Colorado. Among his photos are photos of Ralph pre-mutation.
How did the government figure out what Energyne was up to, or that they should send DHS Agents by helicopter when the San Diego Zoo called the police to report George had escaped? Because the canister that mutated Ralph and the battle with Energyne’s mercenaries all happened a few miles from Monarch’s Wyoming outpost. Maybe Ralph even attacked the outpost too (that sounds like a neat little horror fanfic waiting to happen…)
I noticed when Lizzie is first sighted on sonar approaching Chicago, the reaction from everyone - Russell, the Colonel, Okoye, Dr. Caldwell - isn’t confusion (none of the characters knew, until this point, that there was a third monster - they SHOULD have been confused), but deep concern. Headcanon: they all were thinking, “Oh God, not Godzilla too.”
Like before, I’m still taking Russell’s and the Colonel’s talk of “contingencies” and “we’ve got this covered” as veiled references to G14 - Monarch and the military has been planning for something like this and thinks they’re prepared to deal with it. (Naturally, they are not.)
Harvey Russell and Mark Russell are cousins, Harvey’s grandpappy is also Mark’s grandfather (and, by extension, Madison’s great-grandfather). Mark’s father George was born in Texas, but moved to Ohio when he was young which is where Mark was raised. Harvey’s side of the family, meanwhile, stayed in Texas and the two ended up, via different paths, both managed to end up in Monarch.

technically they explained in rampage what the pathogen was made of. (strength of a rhino beetle, growth of a blue whale, etc.)

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:02 am

master_of_monsters wrote:technically they explained in rampage what the pathogen was made of. (strength of a rhino beetle, growth of a blue whale, etc.)

Headcanon debunked... :cry:

master_of_monsters
G-Grasper

Postby master_of_monsters » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:01 am

why not have both like the venom and titan serum from batman

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:57 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
TitanoGoji16 wrote:I wonder if there's any chance that MEG 2 (The Trench?) will include the T. Rex scene the first movie should've had.

Doubtful given the idiotic decision to make the first one PG-13.

While I agree it's unlikely, I don't see what the rating has to do with a shark eating a dinosaur. They could do that in a PG-13 movie.

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Given that Tyrannosaurus and Megalodon didn't exist at the same time in history, I say drop the scene.

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:33 pm

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Given that Tyrannosaurus and Megalodon didn't exist at the same time in history, I say drop the scene.

and the only reason it was in the book was to show how big and dangerous the Meg was, that's kind of useless given everyone knows what a Meg is and is capable of

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Given that Tyrannosaurus and Megalodon didn't exist at the same time in history, I say drop the scene.

:roll:

What's it like not enjoying fun?

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Neither did apatosaurus', tricertops', stegosaurus' and such and look what we got from The Land Before Time.

Return to “Monster Manor”