Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Re: Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:19 pm

It's a fun, exciting, and entertaining enough giant shark movie (almost like a big budget Mega Shark movie, just without another monster for him to fight), but as an adaptation of Meg, it's beyond disappointing. Literally everything that made the story unique and would've helped it stand out from every other killer shark movie out there was either drastically reduced or removed outright.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Came back from it.

As I predicted. Nothing grand just simply enjoyable dumb fun. Definitely worth the watch. I'd definitely rank it above 47 Meters Down. I'll be getting this on Blu-Ray for sure.

Best part about this movie...

Spoiler:
Doggie lives! :D

Hope if a sequel gets made, they feature Kronosaurus' as the books sequel had. I was also honestly expecting the ending to this movie to feature one based on how the screen was going down into the water.

Gothicserpent
G-Grasper

Postby Gothicserpent » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:20 pm

So from what I've heard it has nothing to do with the book?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Gothicserpent wrote:So from what I've heard it has nothing to do with the book?

Not nothing. Various basic plot elements are still there - Jonas and his early encounter with a meg ruining his career, having to go back down to rescue someone, the big glass "jar," etc - but everything's been extremely watered (heh) down.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:46 pm

Just got back from The Meg. Now, I am easily bias to give any shark, dinosaur or giant monster movie two thumbs up. But regardless, this movie is insane. Easily one of my favorites this year. It's a little bit of Jaws, Deep Blue Sea, those underwater movies from 1989 like The Abyss, Deep Star Six and Leviathan with a little bit of Die Hard action hero movie thrown in. More appropriately The Transporter since were dealing with Jason Statham here.

From the title card, score and opening shot where they were able to establish a benthic atmosphere I knew they had got this movie right.

It also has an extremely attractive Asian girl in Bing Bing Li which ticks another box of approval for me.

And one of my favorite parts of the book, the glass shark cage, is definitely in the film and the scene is great.

I like how this movie treats even a monster shark like the Megalodon as an animal which is in contrast to the Jason Voorhees type slasher that the sharks in Jaws were. It was just an animal that was out to eat and could easily be distracted by food instead of being focused on killing our main characters.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:59 pm

TitanoGoji16 wrote:Not nothing. Various basic plot elements are still there - Jonas and his early encounter with a meg ruining his career, having to go back down to rescue someone, the big glass "jar," etc - but everything's been extremely watered (heh) down.

Yeah, not very much. Bummer too, given that the book gave this movie a great ability to be unique.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

master_of_monsters
G-Grasper

Postby master_of_monsters » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:It also has an extremely attractive Asian girl in Bing Bing Li which ticks another box of approval for me.

second that
your source of self destruction

daveblackeye15
JXSDF Technician

Postby daveblackeye15 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm kinda iffy with giant shark movies. It's just that it's hard for me to get into a giant shark. I mean they can move only one direction and just bite stuff. A bipedal dinosaur creature or a giant flyer is easy to get excited. However I heard good reviews and I did like the trailers seemed like good fun and I'm glad I checked it out.

I think a major strength of it is that no one is annoying. Everyone is quite likeable, even the kid is endearing, and no one really does anything insanely stupid. I'd like to think even the corporate guy was genuine when he seemed sad.

Favorite was easily
Spoiler:
them trying to blow up the shark with torepedo and Jonas slicing the shark open with his sub's broken portion.

We need a counter for everytime someone says 'sorry' since they seem to do it a lot.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:50 pm

I’m seeing this tonight. Did any of you guys see the Godzilla trailer with it?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
JXSDF Technician

Postby daveblackeye15 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Wait did they play the Godzilla trailer before yours? I intentionally went in later to skip the trailers and never thought they'd be putting that before movies so early.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Played the Godzilla trailer for me but I had shut my eyes wanting to savor all the hype for when the movie finally comes out.

It was a good call on my part because I actually feel more excited for it since I don't know what to expect. :huge:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:50 pm

^ahhh you’re so lucky, they didn’t play it for me.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:50 pm

I missed the first couple trailers so they might have but I have no way of knowing. Glad to know it is popping up in theaters. I was hoping it would.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:29 am

Just rewatched the movie and noticed it lacked any great suspense like Jaws but was still fun due to the much more action packed set pieces.

I guess realistically the lack of Jaws theme hurts the movies ability to build suspense. That music does more heavy lifting for that movie than people will admit.

fred25_ca
Yin-Yang Master

Postby fred25_ca » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:29 am

A good article about the other sea monsters in the Meg universe:
https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorial ... ee-screen/

There's plenty missing including the supercroc and the biggest of them all, the Liopleurodon.

I've always wanted the Jurassic park franchise to go full on sea monsters but it never did. Hopefully the Meg becomes a franchise and we get to see that!
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:41 am

I do imagine if a sequel does get made they will feature other creatures that were in the book like Dunkleosteus, Kronosaurus, Liopleurodon, etc.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:31 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Played the Godzilla trailer for me but I had shut my eyes wanting to savor all the hype for when the movie finally comes out.

It was a good call on my part because I actually feel more excited for it since I don't know what to expect. :huge:

And Godzillafan1990s conquered the alluring power of sight.
I still wish I didn't know what to expect.....
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:33 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:And Godzillafan1990s conquered the alluring power of sight.
I still wish I didn't know what to expect.....

Ha ha thanks. Guess I got an impressive will it seems. :lol:

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:19 pm

fred25_ca wrote:A good article about the other sea monsters in the Meg universe:

There's plenty missing including the supercroc and the biggest of them all, the Liopleurodon.

I've always wanted the Jurassic park franchise to go full on sea monsters but it never did. Hopefully the Meg becomes a franchise and we get to see that!

Unfortunately the true Liopleurodon isn't nearly as big as once depicted and is actually the size of a large great white shark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liopleurodon

The true giant of the marine reptiles is still the Mosasaur at 56ft max.

fred25_ca
Yin-Yang Master

Postby fred25_ca » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:18 am

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:
fred25_ca wrote:A good article about the other sea monsters in the Meg universe:

Unfortunately the true Liopleurodon isn't nearly as big as once depicted and is actually the size of a large great white shark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liopleurodon

The true giant of the marine reptiles is still the Mosasaur at 56ft max.

Yeah, I remember the BBC special where they got this wrong, which is probably the same thing that happened to Steve Alten when he wrote it. From Wikipedia:

"Liopleurodon ferox first came to the public attention in 1999 when it was featured in an episode of the BBC television series Walking with Dinosaurs, which depicted it as an enormous 25 m (82 ft) long predator; this was based on very fragmentary remains, for the sake of being more 'spectacular' to television audiences, and considered to be an exaggeration for Liopleurodon,[10] with the calculations of 20-metre specimens generally considered dubious."

Still, it makes you wonder, should people be faithful to the books or to science? Same with that intro when the meg ate a t-rex. An awesome scene that many people were hoping would have been in the movie but the facts are, Megalodons only came to exist million of years after the t-rex had disappeared.
Last edited by fred25_ca on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

Return to “Monster Manor”