Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

Postby Can of Conspiracy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:07 pm

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-long-awaited-giant-shark-thriller-meg-swims-to-warner-bros/

It might be about twenty years too late (can't see it having the desired impact in a post-Megashark world) but we might get to see a movie adaptation after all. Yay?

I hope they stop holding back the next book, I'm kinda excited for it. Situation is:

Steve Alten on Facebook wrote:I know many of you want to know when MEG: NIGHTSTALKERS will be published. The answer is - I'm not sure. The publisher is waiting for a MEG MOVIE announcement to coordinate a pub date. I know you may not like the answer but it is his right to wait. And things ARE happening, I just can't discuss it... a signed Non-Disclosure is in effect.

Come on, I've given up on the movie a long time ago, but been waiting to read this since 2009.

goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

NSZ
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Steve Alten's MEG picked up by Warner Bros.

Postby NSZ » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:49 pm

PLEASE GODDAMMIT

I'M TIRED OF BEING TEASED
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:21 pm

I just read this on comingsoon.net and i must say my reaction was

HOLY poop YES ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!!!!!

I have been waiting for this since 2008 since it was in development! I hope it really happens an it's a big budget bad-ass shark movie.. The cheesy Syfy ones are okay but it's about time for an actual good one.

second link - http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/traile ... arner-bros

MandaSaurus
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby MandaSaurus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:11 pm

YES! Tired of all the cheap SyFy stuff! The Megalodon was the largest predator that ever lived - it deserves the 'big screen treatment'...

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:19 pm

Bout damn time!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:09 am

I haven't read any of the books since The Trench, but even still, I've been waiting for a movie adaptation of MEG forever. Here's hoping this happens!
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Postby godzillalives88 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:24 am

I only found out about this series this morning, but it sounds really interesting. I'll definitely check out the book!

lbh
Yojimbo

The MEG movie maybe finally happening

Postby lbh » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 am

Based on the first of a series of books about a Megaladon shark in the modern world. here is the article :) http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/37251/ ... -in-action

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The MEG movie maybe finally happening

Postby TetsukiGroudon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:59 am

There's already a thread that has been made for this.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23526

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Re: The MEG movie maybe finally happening

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:51 am

lbh wrote:Based on the first of a series of books about a Megaladon shark in the modern world. here is the article :) http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/37251/ ... -in-action

Yeah but there's
Spoiler:
a lot more down there than just Meg
. Wasn't Warner/New Line the ones who were suppose to make it originally?
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Postby Can of Conspiracy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:07 am

New Line had the rights from 2005 to 2007. Initially it was supposed to be a Disney production way back in the 90's, though.
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.

NSZ
E.S.P.Spy

Postby NSZ » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:14 am

Can of Conspiracy wrote:Initially it was supposed to be a Disney production way back in the 90's, though.

*Shudders at the thought*

I think we can consider that a bullet dodged.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:01 am

Can of Conspiracy wrote:Initially it was supposed to be a Disney production way back in the 90's, though.

Oh God, what? I can't even wrap my head around that.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Postby Can of Conspiracy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:11 am

Guys, guys, you don't know half of it! The IMDb entry doesn't exist for the movie at the moment, but there's an archived version from 2009, and if you look up the trivia page:

The original adaptation of the screenplay for Walt Disney Pictures was written by Jeffrey Boam, who made changes to the novel including given the giant shark wings and having it growl repeatedly at characters.

I mean friggin' WHAT?!

Jan de Bont was attached to direct the film in 2005, along with Guillermo del Toro and Nick Nunziata producing. All three left the project in 2007.

Screenwriter Shane Salerno's 2004 draft added massive action sequences to the film, including a 65-foot Megalodon shark being attacked by giant Humboldt squid, and the Megalodon shark attacking a group of Orca Whales off the coast of Seattle. These changes pushed the proposed budget of $100 million to over $157 million and cuts were ordered.

That Salerno fellow is the man behind the AVPR script, by the way. Still, with de Bont attached to it... I'm a bit sad about the New Line project.

One-time-attached director Jan de Bont still keeps a Megalodon tooth and 4-foot model of the Megalodon shark proposed for the film in his office.

Guillermo del Toro was attached to the project at the same time he was circling a remake of "Creature From The Black Lagoon," stating - "There's something about prehistoric fish that are terrifying! Really scary stuff. We don't know everything that used to be down there..."

The film has been in development for 12 years, starting with Walt Disney Pictures, moving to New Line Cinema, where it stayed until the rights to the film expired and New Line was absorbed by Time Warner.

Since the release of 'MEG' the novel, many low-budget Megalodon-themed films have been produced, including 'Shark Hunter', 'Megalodon', 'Shark Attack 3: Megalodon', and 'Haif Mallorca'. None credit original author Steve Alten for his obvious influence and ideas even though the plot lines are extremely similar to his "MEG" book series.

The original title of the novel was "White Death".

There are four novels in the "MEG" series, all featuring the titular title monster, as well as other prehistoric sea monsters that surface to do battle: "MEG," "The Trench," "MEG: Primal Waters," and the soon-to-be-released "MEG 4: Hell's Aquarium" (May 9, 2009).

Screenwriter Shane Salerno was said to have completed 6 drafts of the screenplay based upon notes by New Line Cinema.

The Megalodon shark is the largest carnivorous shark to have ever lived - with a dorsal fin exceeding six feet tall, Megalodons reached lengths of up to 80 feet.

PopInPicsPresents
Kwaidan

Postby PopInPicsPresents » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:07 pm

Can this be a thing already? I just want Night Stalkers to come out already
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.

Mama Birdon is bae

Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

MandaSaurus
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby MandaSaurus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:12 pm

NSZ wrote:

*Shudders at the thought*

I think we can consider that a bullet dodged.

No poop, huh?

Wings? Growling? If they're gonna make a kaiju film, then call it what it IS, & don't call it MEG... :freak:

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Postby Can of Conspiracy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Just in:

Sources tell Variety that Eli Roth is in talks to direct the Warner Bros. tentpole, which is based on the Steve Allen novel. Belle Avery and Colin Wilson are producing the pic from a screenplay by Dean Georgaris.

Eli Roth to Direct Giant Shark Thriller ‘Meg’ for Warner Bros

PopInPicsPresents
Kwaidan

Postby PopInPicsPresents » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:47 pm

I liked it better when I thought it wasn't coming out at all.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.

Mama Birdon is bae

Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:13 pm

Not sure how I feel about this. Roth isn't a terrible director but he doesn't do much outside of uber gory horror poop. I do like Hemlock Grove though and he directed several episodes of that.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:43 pm

Eli Roth is okay, my problem with this is no studio will really give this guy a major budget. I really wanted MEG to have a 75$+ million dollar budget. Most of Roth's movies are well under 20$ million.

Otherwise though, he isn't bad an he might make a decent MEG movie. Better then some other crappy directors out there. At-least we will have decent characters, action sequences, an potential brutal death scenes. Of course none of that makes for a great film. So this can still go either way... I'm waiting for the budget personally.

Return to “Monster Manor”