Ash Vs. The Evil Dead Series On STARZ !

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
gigan72
Keizer

Re: Ash Vs. The Evil Dead Series On STARZ !

Postby gigan72 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:16 pm

seamus wrote:Cannot wait for this show. I hope the pilot is an extended episode as I wanna get as much Sam Raimi as possible.

That blu-ray looks awesome but I feel like the original movie poster would've been a cooler cover. OR THE JAPANESE (jk...but not really) Not that it matters.

The art is reversible on the Blu-ray to feature either then new art or the original poster art (but the slipcover is just the new art). Same with many Shout! releases.
KaijuFiend wrote:
Birdman wrote:Do you like what you see?

No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that Hedorah again.

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Hey this deserves a bump as the first episode came out and it was awesome. I'm gonna copy paste my response from the current movie /show thing:

I felt like the first episode could have just easily been a a pure sequel to the original trilogy. A lot of television shows are being made as a sequel/remake/spinoff to popular movies (such as Fargo, Hannibal, Shield) but this is the only thing so far that's made me really really happy. The humor was great, it got us back into the universe and introduced new characters pretty well. It also did a great job of mixing the horror and comedy elements; we got the more spooky scene inside the mansion with the new cop and her partner where it's definitely suspenseful but later we got good ol Ash wise cracking and kicking ass. To be able to do this without feeing way too tone def is really hard and I'm glad they were able to pull it off.

I also liked how it went beyond of just bringing ash back to make it an evil dead sequel. It had a lot of those long shots of the evil coming forth and it had slapstick and similar designs. While ash is an amazing character it's good they realiE that evil dead goes far beyond just Ash and there's more subtle components. I absolutely loved it but I'll be really sad if the series goes to Hedorah.
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

PopInPicsPresents
E.S.P.Spy

Postby PopInPicsPresents » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:33 pm

Really liked it, but the CGI was honestly worse then what I've seen from SyFy. Thankfully they shy away from it.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.

Mama Birdon is bae

Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:49 pm

PopInPicsPresents wrote:Really liked it, but the CGI was honestly worse then what I've seen from SyFy. Thankfully they shy away from it.

Bad CGI don't bother me too bad. I view it in the same way as bad practical effects now. I'm not saying it's good but it's not a deal breaker for me. And honestly the scenes with the CGI(the doll one) probably needed it so they're using it sparingly.

XxComablack1937xX
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:34 pm

I enjoyed it, i look forward to the second episode for sure.

Starsteam
Keizer

Postby Starsteam » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:53 pm

Got a chance to see it, had a fun time. Yeah, the CGI isn't too great but that's not why I'm watching the show. It feels like Evil Dead, just a little more shiny looking. I can't wait for more.

gigan72
Keizer

Postby gigan72 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Just caught it online, and I liked it a lot. Can't wait to see more.
KaijuFiend wrote:

No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that Hedorah again.

seamus
Yin-Yang Master

Postby seamus » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:55 pm

This deserves more than 1 bump and a couple posts. Seriously? No other TK members are watching this show? I loved it. It's very digital and modern-TV-esc, but despite those run-of-the-mill shortcomings, the characters are interesting, the pacing is fun and suspenseful, the story is clearly open to becoming increasingly dense (and thus more interesting), and there are enough weird camera angles and supremely fucked-up SFX to make it a faithful part of the Evil Dead saga. I wish Sam was directing more than just the pilot, but I am totally game for wherever they wanna take this. The music and editing were great, and I look forward to what they do with the universe and with Ash's character.

Who knows...by the time they get around to season 2 they may even have sorted out the legal issues with referencing Army of Darkness. But... we as Godzilla fans know not to hold our breath over legality struggles.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot... and despite the skeptic that I am... the new show genuinely strikes me as... groovy.
'And yet another one?'

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:47 am

The first two episodes have been really fun. Hope the rest are too. The CG is pretty bad, yeah, but it's only used in such over-the-top scenes that I dun mind.
"Nooooooooooooooo Hedorah, Sherlock~."

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:56 am

seamus wrote:This deserves more than 1 bump and a couple posts. Seriously? No other TK members are watching this show? I loved it. It's very digital and modern-TV-esc, but despite those run-of-the-mill shortcomings, the characters are interesting, the pacing is fun and suspenseful, the story is clearly open to becoming increasingly dense (and thus more interesting), and there are enough weird camera angles and supremely fucked-up SFX to make it a faithful part of the Evil Dead saga. I wish Sam was directing more than just the pilot, but I am totally game for wherever they wanna take this. The music and editing were great, and I look forward to what they do with the universe and with Ash's character.

Who knows...by the time they get around to season 2 they may even have sorted out the legal issues with referencing Army of Darkness. But... we as Godzilla fans know not to hold our breath over legality struggles.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot... and despite the skeptic that I am... the new show genuinely strikes me as... groovy.

Yeah I'm surprised more people here aren't watching it/commenting on it.

The first episode was absolutely amazing; second wasn't as good but still very good. I expected this but if the show continues at the level of the second episode then it'll be fine and I'll still love it.

What I really like is the show can make a lot of mundane things very funny. I loved the dinner scene and its something that hasn't been done before. What this show is doing for the series is bringing the deadites into the modern world: it's no longer like the deadites and ash are fighting in a remote location where bystanders aren't caught. It makes for interesting scenarios and it makes me more and more curious where the series will take us.

Also in glad Pablo isn't annoying. I got worried he'd be a too jokey sidekick but he's fine and allowed for some great dialogue between him and Ash. I just want to see now how he develops and what he'll do beyond Ash fanboy.

Dannybeane
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Dannybeane » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:54 pm

This is probably my favorite show on TV right now. As a huge Evil Dead fan, everything about it is perfect and feels like an honest to god continuation of the original Evil Dead franchise. Everything from tone, to humor, to cinematography and camera movements is perfect. The only critique I have is the cgi is pretty awful but that's a small complaint. I can't wait to watch tonights episode.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Kwaidan

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:06 pm

Fun show. Not great but fun. I'm actually surprised it looks like they're calling back more into events of the original films than I expected them to with an "old friend" of Ash's popping up towards the end. My only real complaint is that some of the gore feels forced and only there just to have it.
Rocker, Dinosaur nut, Cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, of you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Image Image

seamus
Yin-Yang Master

Postby seamus » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:18 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:What this show is doing for the series is bringing the deadites into the modern world: it's no longer like the deadites and ash are fighting in a remote location where bystanders aren't caught. It makes for interesting scenarios and it makes me more and more curious where the series will take us.

Yes! Love this about it, though I do long for the [hopefully inevitable] return to the cabin.

Also Mr. Roeper is probably my favorite deadite ever.
'And yet another one?'

Starsteam
Keizer

Postby Starsteam » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:19 pm

seamus wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:What this show is doing for the series is bringing the deadites into the modern world: it's no longer like the deadites and ash are fighting in a remote location where bystanders aren't caught. It makes for interesting scenarios and it makes me more and more curious where the series will take us.

Yes! Love this about it, though I do long for the [hopefully inevitable] return to the cabin.

I really like how the cabin in the show is pretty much an exact replica of the one from ED2. Talk about authenticity.

Dannybeane
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Dannybeane » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:04 pm

Last night's episode was another brilliant one. Lots of callbacks to the films.

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:26 am

Lee Majors has been cast as Ash's dad. And Ted Raimi will be showing up as Ash's childhood friend, Chet Kaminski.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/150789/lee-majors-and-ted-raimi-join-ash-vs-evil-dead-season-2/
"A wraith man ! A ghost ! A evil spirit-and it ain't cool !"

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:14 pm

"When you have a chainsaw hand. This is how you tap a keg !"
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/158544/first-look-ash-vs-evil-dead-season-2/
"A wraith man ! A ghost ! A evil spirit-and it ain't cool !"

gigan72
Keizer

Postby gigan72 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:35 pm

It seems a website is having an error on the pricing on the Blu-ray. $10 for the first season, along with $2 shipping.
KaijuFiend wrote:

LegendZilla
EDF Soldier

Ash Vs Evil Dead

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:26 pm

Hey folks,

Anyone willing to discuss this TV-based continuation of the much-beloved horror franchise? I have been watching it for a couple of days now and so far I'm quite enjoying it. What do guys have to say about it?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Return to “Monster Manor”