Ghostbusters General Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

Favorite Ghostbusters Movie

Ghostbusters (1986)
85%
Ghostbusters 2
7%
Ghostbusters (2016)
7%

Total votes: 55

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Ghostbusters General Thread

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:56 am

kingkevzilla88 wrote:
Zarm wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:Holy crap! I really hope it's good. Just out of curiosity, I looked on Twitter and they're sad losers people complaining about how that poop heap from 2016 is better than this.

They're complaining that a 2-hour movie is better than a 50 second teaser trailer?

I mean, the case could be made (I wouldn't agree, personally), but... it's a dumb assertion to make. I mean, Attack of the Clones is probably better than the teaser trailer for Empire Strikes Back, but that doesn't say much. :)

Sorry, I missed tiped(bloody tablet). What I meant to say that their complaining about how that stupid movie WILL be better than the new one.

Ah. Well, good to know that so many wizards, soothsayers, and time travelers frequent Twitter. Maybe a few of them will share winning lottery numbers from the year 2020, where they went and saw the finished product...? :roll:
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

kingkevzilla88
Interpol Agent

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:57 am

Zarm wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:
Zarm wrote:
They're complaining that a 2-hour movie is better than a 50 second teaser trailer?

I mean, the case could be made (I wouldn't agree, personally), but... it's a dumb assertion to make. I mean, Attack of the Clones is probably better than the teaser trailer for Empire Strikes Back, but that doesn't say much. :)

Sorry, I missed tiped(bloody tablet). What I meant to say that their complaining about how that stupid movie WILL be better than the new one.

Ah. Well, good to know that so many wizards, soothsayers, and time travelers frequent Twitter. Maybe a few of them will share winning lottery numbers from the year 2020, where they went and saw the finished product...? :roll:

I know man, Twitter is for twits.

SoggyNoodles2016
Banned Hombre

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:54 pm

Teaser ain't half bad.

Cautiously optimistic.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#MinillaForSmash2018

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:08 pm

That 50 second teaser is better then the poop stain from 2016. Again way to early to tell... lets see the cast and stuff first.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Thanks to KC, I am really hoping for an all-dog Ghostbuster team...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Zarm wrote:Thanks to KC, I am really hoping for an all-dog Ghostbuster team...

They each sport the hairstyle of one of the original four, and speak their lines like Scooby Doo. :P

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:27 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:

They each sport the hairstyle of one of the original four, and speak their lines like Scooby Doo. :P

Would prefer that over this.
Resized Image

"The soil of a man's heart is stonier; a man grows what he can, and tends it.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:27 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:

And clearly they have to fight the terror dogs, gone solo after Gozer's demise...

#ProLife

Maranatha!

KManX89
JXSDF Technician

Postby KManX89 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:

At least it wouldn't literally start off with a skreeonking queef joke. :lol:

Anything's better than that.
My Game Ideas Page

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:59 pm

KManX89 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:

At least it wouldn't literally start off with a skreeonking queef joke. :lol:

Anything's better than that.

I'm perfectly content acting like the only one that exists is the first movie. Not that I hate the other two, I just don't need them. I dunno. I never, never revisit the other films. I only ever watch the first.

But I mean. Hey glad everyone's excited. Wish I could be too.
Resized Image

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 pm

I'm a bit concerned the reboot has as many votes as Ghostbusters 2 on the poll...
SuperPawnageGigan wrote:What has this thread become.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:05 pm

The biggest problem I had with the 2016 film was that it was a remake. There's nothing in the film that justified making a complete reboot instead of setting it in the same world as the first films just in modern times. The time between GB and GB2 showed just how quickly New Yorkers abandoned the idea of supernatural activity so why wouldn't the same thing happen after close to 30 years? The main characters would still have to get their own gear and everything.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 pm

The poll erroneously states Ghostbusters 1 as being released in 1986. Regardless, it’s great to see the proper Ghostbusters 3 being greenlit.

For the sake of equality for all the Ghostbusters team should have both men and women as recruits.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:56 am

Maritonic wrote:I'm perfectly content acting like the only one that exists is the first movie. Not that I hate the other two, I just don't need them. I dunno. I never, never revisit the other films. I only ever watch the first.

The original is one of those rare cases where a movie in functionally almost perfect. It is true lightning in a bottle. For the most part, there's just no re-capturing that.

With a property like Godzilla or Alien, you can follow up that kind of perfection by coming at it from wildly different narrative and thematic angles. With a wacky comedy, though, you can't really genre-shift in the sequels, so you're never going to be producing more than an echo.

To some people, I guess Ghostbusters II was a nice, clear echo; to me it was pretty hollow.

I just don't think Ghostbusters is suited to sequels, and I doubt I'm ever gonna work up much excitement at the prospect of a new entry.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KManX89
JXSDF Technician

Postby KManX89 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:50 am

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I'm perfectly content acting like the only one that exists is the first movie. Not that I hate the other two, I just don't need them. I dunno. I never, never revisit the other films. I only ever watch the first.

The original is one of those rare cases where a movie in functionally almost perfect. It is true lightning in a bottle. For the most part, there's just no re-capturing that.

With a property like Godzilla or Alien, you can follow up that kind of perfection by coming at it from wildly different narrative and thematic angles. With a wacky comedy, though, you can't really genre-shift in the sequels, so you're never going to be producing more than an echo.

To some people, I guess Ghostbusters II was a nice, clear echo; to me it was pretty hollow.

I just don't think Ghostbusters is suited to sequels, and I doubt I'm ever gonna work up much excitement at the prospect of a new entry.

Still, it can't be as bad as that wretched 2016 movie. Hell, that small teaser was better than all of the last movie.

My Game Ideas Page

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:56 am

The teaser was not better than the film, if we really want to get analytical. It's a teaser. An announcement teaser at that. It showed literally nothing.I, for one, don't understand the pure hated 2016 gets. Is it great? No. Is it the worst movie I've ever seen? No. Hell, it's not even the worst remake I've ever seen. I think people just like to hate it. Which, cool, good on ya. Continuing to drag that movie down is not going to make me excited for the new one, though. Move on to being excited about this and leave that one behind.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:13 am

Maritonic wrote:The teaser was not better than the film, if we really want to get analytical. It's a teaser. An announcement teaser at that. It showed literally nothing.I, for one, don't understand the pure hated 2016 gets. Is it great? No. Is it the worst movie I've ever seen? No. Hell, it's not even the worst remake I've ever seen. I think people just like to hate it. Which, cool, good on ya. Continuing to drag that movie down is not going to make me excited for the new one, though. Move on to being excited about this and leave that one behind.

Ghostbusters (2016) is a movie with some pretty serious structure and pacing problems... which I never see anybody bother to discuss. It's like people don't want it to have been a sincere effort to make an entertaining movie by people who were perhaps a little too enamored of - or maybe a little too intimidated by the reputation of - the source material to be entirely objective about their own product.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:21 am

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:The teaser was not better than the film, if we really want to get analytical. It's a teaser. An announcement teaser at that. It showed literally nothing.I, for one, don't understand the pure hated 2016 gets. Is it great? No. Is it the worst movie I've ever seen? No. Hell, it's not even the worst remake I've ever seen. I think people just like to hate it. Which, cool, good on ya. Continuing to drag that movie down is not going to make me excited for the new one, though. Move on to being excited about this and leave that one behind.

Ghostbusters (2016) is a movie with some pretty serious structure and pacing problems... which I never see anybody bother to discuss. It's like people don't want it to have been a sincere effort to make an entertaining movie by people who were perhaps a little too enamored of - or maybe a little too intimidated by the reputation of - the source material to be entirely objective about their own product.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not waving the 2016 film's flag here. It's definitely a flawed film. But from everything I've ever seen, it's only ever complained about with no valid film criticisms (clarity: not saying there are no valid criticisms, just saying people never bring them up). Just that it's unnecessary, bad, a shitshow, awful, etc. Which, that's all well and good, but if you're not going to take the film on it's own merits then how are you unbiased? It's why I don't have a hardcore hatred for the movie; it's flawed but it's not kicking my children in the teeth, like people act it does.

It is what it is. As I said, I've seen plenty of worse films and worse remakes just as I've seen plenty of better films and better remakes. I honestly think this new one will feel a lot like 2 does for me; meh? It'll be neat if they get the old guys out of the retirement homes but eh.

At the end of the day, I'm happy people are happy. This is definitely something worth being happy about. But I don't get why people just keep going "Good! Now I can wash the taste of that almost three year old movie out of my mouth now!" Just move on.
Resized Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:25 am

It honestly wasn't a horrible movie. It just wasn't a very good one. And didn't feel like it had much to do with Ghostbusters other than referencing the iconography. (Very much like TRON Legacy, for me, in that way- 'Hey, as long as we throw in a few of the iconic props/costumes in and get a few of the old actors in for a cameo, it doesn't matter that we are so philosophically, stylistically, narratively, spiritually, and conceptually unrealated to the original property that we might as well have been a new, original property.'

But it had a few good jokes (like the Youtube video transition), and a couple of legitimately funny characters (Chris Hemsworth and Leslie Jones), to me. It wasn't a complete garbage fire. (I don't remember enough about it to discuss anything about its structure or pacing; it didn't leave that much of an impression). Conceptual problems, I remember... like how the climax goes from trapping ghosts to killing ghosts. Killing. Ghosts. Think about that concept for a minute...

Anyhow, for my part, if I say this trailer is better than that entire movie, what I mean to say is that it already engages me for a positive response essentially more than the net total of moments that engaged me in the 2016 film. Which is not necessarily meant as an insult to the 2016 film- which, again, I considered mediocre, but not abysmal- but rather an elevation of how much I enjoyed this teaser and its approach.
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

#ProLife

Maranatha!

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 am

Deleted.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Return to “Monster Manor”